Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 12:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sygic Maps Vs MMI maps, what's the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
They have dropped the prices even more. It is selling for Rs 199 (). This is the best value for money for the software ss you can install it on multiple devices AFAIK. Good yhing I did not buy it at 499! Saved another 300 Rs.
Are you sure about the multiple devices license with this Rs. 199 version?

If I read post 10 above, this one seems to be the MMI 'edition' of the software.

I have a licensed Sygic 13.x at the moment and I can confirm:
1. It used MMI maps. They get the map data from MMI - generally quite slow to update, but recently they have improved somewhat.
2. No limit on the map updates
3. 5 devices can be having the same product code _ no need for Google ID to be same on all those devices.

I am not what are the limitations in the Rs. 199 version.
Old 7th June 2013, 13:23   #17
BHPian

I have not installed it on Tab2 only on note 1 so I can not say with 100 percent certainty but i will try installing it tonight or tomorrow evening. Then I will be able to tell.

The version that I got from Play Store is 12.1.4. If I click on the Visit Developer's Website link in Play Store it takes me to website of Sygic only so I cannot say if this is Sygic version or MMI version. Nor does the Play Store description mention any limitations in the software. The software of 11mb was downloaded first then some 238 mb necessary files and 600+ mb of different Indian state mapes were downloaded.

Play store url is

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aura_mmi&hl=en

No discounts on iTunes app store India though. Still says Rs. 1900.
Old 7th June 2013, 14:49   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I have map my india (MMI) maps SD card in my car and its directly bought from MMI. Whereas, in my iPhone i use Sygic maps. Basically they both have same source. But as MMI states on their website here, they sell the digital map data. Sygic has bought their data and built the application - read this page. It clearly says "HQ MMI maps". Now since the data belongs to MMI and Sygic did their own app, they had to make it different than MMI Maps. hence its slightly different compared to each other and has its own plus and minus. MMI has maps for limited geographies and devices whereas Sygic has wide geography support.

By the way, MMI does not have iOS maps yet. I had bought Sygic maps 3-4 years ago and it had costed around 25$. Whereas now its $34.99. Seems like app values is appreciating. Something good about car accessory buy
Old 7th June 2013, 15:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

What about areas where there is no mobile connectivity? Will these maps work offline on the iPhone

My 4 year old MMI Roadpilot battery has gone kaput and now replacing it will cost be same getting the MMI maps from the App Store .

Also , I see that the MMI website shows 2 types of maps for iOS . 1- Aura( 1900 INR) and 2- Dont Panic ( 2700 INR) . Any idea on what are the differences between these 2 ?

Last edited by speedsatya : 7th June 2013 at 15:45.
Old 7th June 2013, 16:50   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

MMI with an All India maps is available completely FREE of charge for Blackberry Z10 buyers from authorized re-sellers in India. This is a great gesture from Blackberry to instill some confidence into its users which is leaning away to other platforms.

I downloaded it last night. 850MB of space for this app

It's a wonderful piece of software but, as MashMash mentioned the battery drain is unbeilevably high
Old 7th June 2013, 17:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
What about areas where there is no mobile connectivity? Will these maps workoffline on the iPhone
Yes they will. That is why it takes more than 1 GB space as all maps and POI are stored on the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
My 4 year old MMI Roadpilot battery has gone kaput and now replacing it will cost be same getting the MMI maps from the App Store .

Also , I see that the MMI website shows 2 types of maps for iOS . 1- Aura( 1900 INR) and 2- Dont Panic ( 2700 INR) . Any idea on what are the differences between these 2 ?
From a cursory look at the itunes and play store profile of these apps I can see that Aura uses Sygic app frontend but DontPanic uses Mireo app frontend (why cant they use native os ui ) and mireo one provide foursquare integration and some more network dependent features.

Last edited by Eddy : 8th June 2013 at 00:03. Reason: Fixing quotes
Old 7th June 2013, 17:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Okay. Any idea on the difference in the way they perform ?
Old 7th June 2013, 18:17   #23
BHPian

I cannot say because I have used Sygic version only on both iOS and android. But the site claims that mireo uses better navigation and routing etc algorithms.
Old 7th June 2013, 18:40   #24
BHPian

I think the difference is only Sygic and Sygic With MMI looks to be version numbers at present. Sygic (global version) is 13.x but Sygic with MMI is 12.x in the play store.

One more thing that I have noticed is that Sygic is providing very old version (2012.06) of the maps at present. However, I see many torrents having 2012.09 version maps (MMI has related v. I logged a case with Sygic support, asking for the latest version available for India. They responded that 2012.06 is the latest version they have at present. They are yet to receive next versions from MMI. Probably MMI is intentionally holding back the updates.
Old 7th June 2013, 18:49   #25
BHPian

I am using the 199 edition of sygic for India on an android and can say that it works fine. you are asked which states you want to download to conserve phone memory. Battery drain also has been minimal, about 10 percent an hour running offline.
Old 7th June 2013, 18:58   #26
BHPian

Can you try installing it on multiple devices if you have more than 1android device? I have the 199 edition and 2 devices but puny internet speeds.
Old 7th June 2013, 19:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
It's a wonderful piece of software but, as MashMash mentioned the battery drain is unbeilevably high
I think that the battery-drain is in the nature of the GPS-Hardware itself and app is not responsible?

I always connect the charger when using the GPS in my car, otherwise it drains completely in a matter of hours.
Old 7th June 2013, 23:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
They have dropped the prices even more. It is selling for Rs 199 (USD 3.90). This is the best value for money for the software ss you can install it on multiple devices AFAIK. Good yhing I did not buy it at 499! Saved another 300 Rs.
hmm..thanks for sharing. I purchased it 2 weeks back

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I think that the battery-drain is in the nature of the GPS-Hardware itself and app is not responsible?

I always connect the charger when using the GPS in my car, otherwise it drains completely in a matter of hours.
I used Sygic on my Nexus 4 for 3 hours completely on battery, and still had 13% battery left after 3 hrs. I think its a reasonable battery performance on par with video playback or browsing.
Old 7th June 2013, 23:43   #29
BHPian

I drove from Delhi to Haridwar on Holi morning for nearly 4 hrs 45 minutes with Sygic running and playing music output to car's Aux in Galaxy tab 2 and when I reached there the tablet still had approx. 25% charge left but when we came back the journey took 6 hrs plus and charge fell to less than 15% before we had reached Modi nagar. So yes GPS system drains battery at same rate that an active data connection to Google Maps does. My gripe here is why cant Samsung make the charger port and 3.5 mm audio jack on top or on 1 side. Why put audio jack on top and charger port on bottom?

In the words of Honorable Jeremy Clarkson, "Its stupid!"

Put them on one side so I do not have a cables tangle in cat!
Old 9th June 2013, 12:34   #30
BHPian

Sygic with Mmi for India is back to Rs.2500/- on App Store. It was 1900/- for a couple of months. Version is 12.2.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks