Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2009, 14:35   #16
BHPian

@naughty001, Amazing work mate. You did all that laser cutting stuff yourself? Can you post the procedure and the equipment required?

Afterthoughts: I hope they are not a very costly affair.
Old 31st August 2009, 03:44   #17
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpyder View Post
@naughty001, Amazing work mate. You did all that laser cutting stuff yourself? Can you post the procedure and the equipment required?

Afterthoughts: I hope they are not a very costly affair.
sadly no, i did not do the lasercutting myself. the machinery required for that costs in the millions and no individual i know has that type of machinery at their personal disposal. I had it done at a commercial lasercutting company here in South Africa, and it was reasonably priced to do it for a simple design such as this because it only cost me 150 rands which amounts to around 940 rupees

but since then ive had a bit of practice with the dremel and simple designs i can do myself with a dremel reasonably decently now. To be brutally honest though the laser cutting or even waterjet cutting which is more accurate is amazing because heres a picture of the best lasercut side panel ive ever seen

Computer and Case modding-cpcmod10righthuge.jpg

so yeah its absolutely amazing what a lasercutter can do. Please note that the picture above was something i found at a modding website but the guys where i had my lasercutting done are capable of doing jobs like this as well

in fact heres some non computer related examples of their work, these are about twice the size of a regular CD disc and they can do even more accurate work now with the waterjet cutter that they have

Computer and Case modding-laser3.jpg

Computer and Case modding-laser2.jpg

Computer and Case modding-laser1.jpg

nothing on any of those is engraved but every detail you see is laser cut into the stainless steel - sorry for the phonecam pictures, i did not have my camera available when i visited them and they did not allow me to take pictures of their machinery even with the silly phonecam

if you wish to see some of their machinery though, heres a link to their website but again sadly it wont help you in India because this company is here in South Africa

Welcome to Laser Profiling

though you might be able to find companies who do industrial laser profiling there somewhere in India, its becoming popular all over the world

Last edited by naughty001 : 31st August 2009 at 03:45.

Old 31st August 2009, 11:02   #18
naughty001

BTW i made a new thread about the speakers ive added to my computer as well as some details about the continuation of the modding process - these posts were added to the computer speaker thread but they actually would have fitted better here. here are the links to those posts

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1429799-post166.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1429908-post167.html

these posts show that for simple work a dremel will do a decent job but if you are after perfection the lasercutting works far better

Old 31st August 2009, 11:20   #19
naughty001

to continue on from the links in the speaker topic above

i went in to my electronics retail store only to discover that the stereo amplifier i was after was sold out and when i added up the cost of a subwoofer plus an amplifier i was close to the cost of a semi-decent home theatre system anyway so i looked at some of the home theatre setups on offer

result .... this is what landed up at my home

Computer and Case modding-carton.jpg

top of the carton

Computer and Case modding-carton2.jpg

the reciever that is bundled with the system, this is to replace the stereo amplifier and give me surround sound capability, i will add the surround speakers and centre channel when i do the falsewall effort

Computer and Case modding-reciever.jpg

so for now this is what the subwoofer and my UPS look like under my PC desk/rack

Computer and Case modding-subwoofer.jpg

so for now im using an analog cable to hookup audio from the PC to the reciever, when i have the main rig ready to go back into the setup i will replace this with some form of digital connection ie either fibre optical or SP/DIF

Computer and Case modding-cable.jpg

so for now this is more or less how the desk/rack looks for temporary whilst im still working on that false wall, which needs a lot of filler applied and lots of sanding and a bit of routering on the edges to get it perfect and im also working out the positioning of the additional power supplies for the lighting and also the switches and the paint colours

Computer and Case modding-positioning2.jpg

this picture shows it before i actually had it all wired up and it has been completely wired up for now and is working. Sound Quality from the speakers is superb and it sounds way better than i expected even though i have compromised and gotten a home theatre setup instead of the stereo amplifier. The subwoofer is an 8" model and integrates perfectly with the speakers hence the sound is stunning and im extremely happy with my purchases

more pictures of the rest of the project to follow as i complete each bit of it

Last edited by naughty001 : 31st August 2009 at 11:22.

Old 9th September 2012, 11:02   #20
naughty001

latest computer project

I wanted to replace my old celeron rig with something that was essentially a decent new computer but i wanted to also do a bit of as case mod to the chassis so that it also looked interesting to other people

So heres what i landed up with ... this is a description of the final setup

Intel i5-3570k processor
Asus Z68v-pro/gen3 motherboard
16 gigs Kingston HyperX ram
Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card
Gigabyte Sumo Chassis
Western Digital RaptorX hard drive (will eventually be replaced with a solid state drive)

here are some pictures of how it all looks since the looks are the best part of the setup in my humble opinion even though many people wont see the reasoning behind the modding

the insides of the computer as it stands with the side panel removed

Computer and Case modding-insides21.jpg

waterblock for the liquid cooling

Computer and Case modding-waterblock.jpg

ram and cooling for the ram

Computer and Case modding-kingstonhyperxfan.jpg

radiator for the watercooling with fans

Computer and Case modding-radiator.jpg

Computer and Case modding-outside.jpg

insides with the lighting switched on

Computer and Case modding-insides.jpg

graphics card

Computer and Case modding-card1.jpg

Computer and Case modding-card2.jpg

the side panel of the case with the case lighting on ie this is the modded bit

Computer and Case modding-pclit.jpg

Computer and Case modding-litlogo.jpg

the flaming skull logo that i used from an offspring album cover is similar to the identical logo i used in a previous computer project but i wanted to use it again for consistency and also to use up older parts lying around as well as complete the theme for the project that im developing to finish the room

usually i use custom watercooling but this time around i just used a Corsair H100 liquid cooling solution because of the fact that custom watercooling is very high maintenance and also i do not plan on overclocking this machine (too much) so even standard aircooling would have done but then it wouldnt be as interesting a project to undertake as this landed up being

and some final pictures to show how the gigabyte logo is projected onto the floor by the front fan of the chassis .... i cannot take credit for this since this was done by gigabyte themselves

Computer and Case modding-projector.jpg

Computer and Case modding-projector2.jpg

i hope that you enjoy looking at my project and comments and criticisms as well as praise (if its due) will be welcomed .... to be totally honest i do not mind if people do not like the project since we are all different and hence lots of people will find this totally over the top so i will not mind if its criticized ... but it was just a quick challenge to myself to do something that i enjoy doing

Last edited by naughty001 : 9th September 2012 at 11:07.

Old 9th September 2012, 14:06   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: latest computer project

Nice work there mate.

PS: It kind of felt like deja-vu when I opened this thread. You had posted a similar mod job in 2009 as well - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...e-modding.html
Old 9th September 2012, 14:14   #22
naughty001

Re: latest computer project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Nice work there mate.

PS: It kind of felt like deja-vu when I opened this thread. You had posted a similar mod job in 2009 as well - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...e-modding.html
thats why i said this above

"the flaming skull logo that i used from an offspring album cover is similar to the identical logo i used in a previous computer project but i wanted to use it again for consistency and also to use up older parts lying around as well as complete the theme for the project that im developing to finish the room"

also that one was laser cut - this one was done by my own hand .... bit of a difference in the work required

Last edited by naughty001 : 9th September 2012 at 14:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks