Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2004, 19:43   #1
BHPian

Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy a b segment car with budget around 4 lakhs. From my own research I have listed down Xantro zing and indica v2 diesel dls(new one). I request you guys to help me out in deciding the final one or rather suggesting any other one if needed. My criteria are fuel efficiency, ride quality and good resale value(so that in future I can move to c segment), low maintainence and good value for money.
Old 17th November 2004, 19:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

well from the options given above and from what you want, the indica dls makes good sense but not wirth keeping for more than 3 years as it will start giving problems
the other option is wagonR which is as powerfull, looksgood, reliable , comfortable and more FE than the santro
Old 17th November 2004, 22:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

from your options.. Indica DLS is better.. its more spacious than Santro and WagonR, good fuel efficiency, comfortable... and a fun to drive....
But if you want petrol car with long engine life and low maintanance... just go for the WagonR VXI...
Old 17th November 2004, 23:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you drive a lot ie. more than 2500-3000kms a month, then the indica v2 dls makes more sense...its got very good FE, its spacious and more practical than the santro.

But dont expect the indica to go like stink...switch on the ac...and it feels really underpowered, gearshift is good but could be better...performance in general is lethargic which can sometimes be a pain in bumper to bumper traffic. Then there are little niggles which tata has been improving over the years...but it should not deter you if FE and space are your criteria. After sales service is decent...and spare parts are inexpensive.
Value for money? No car does this better than the indica v2 diesel.

If you were choosing a petrol...then i would go in for the santro xing, the car is very versatile, the engine is peppy enough to drive in normal city traffic, and plus now it looks better than the older santros. But there are a few shortfalls as well, the ride gets bumpy at the rear, the accelarator pedal is awkwardly placed which hurts the ankle after long drives. Other than this, i say the car is good for driving in the city. After sales service of hyundai is pretty good...im a customer myself n i can vouch for that.

Only reason not to choose the wagon r is the lack of width...can seat only 4 people...and if 3 people occupy the back seat...things are bound to get intimate. * *
After sales service of maruti although good enough, has seen a decline in quality in recent months.

Hope this helps you out.

Drifter

Old 17th November 2004, 23:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey friend...most of the people here will suggest you a Santro as always...cars from international companies have a softcorner rather than a car from an indian manufacturer.
What I would suggest you is..according to your criteria of good Fuel Efficiency, Ride Quality and Good Resale value...the Indica definately is an edge over the Santro. Its bigger, more comfortable, suspension is good. Now about services...Hyundai and Tata are both nearly good.
I have used a 2002 Tata Indica V2 DLE for 2 years and let me tell you..once you get the habbit of driving that car you would definately love it!
Now its upto you..if u r thinking about acceleration at the back of your mind....then go for the Santro...but for everything else...Indica is definately good. Yes, the fit and finish may not be as good as the Santro...but who cares unless and untill the drivers seat doesnt fall off!!
Think and buy mate!!
Old 18th November 2004, 03:21   #6
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Stratos @ Nov. 17 2004,20:39)]Hey friend...most of the people here will suggest you a Santro as always...cars from international companies have a softcorner rather than a car from an indian manufacturer.

but who cares unless and untill the drivers seat doesnt fall off!!
What kind of ridiculous argument is this? Learn to call a spade a spade. If something is good then it is good..donot try to cover up by giving jingoistic arguments like this. Indica is good in its own respects but this is not the way to put forth a reason to buy a car. The shortcomings of both the cars have been mentioned by drifter.

Rajdoll,
First of all you need to decide whether you want a petrol or a diesel car. If outright FE is your only concern then nothing comes close to Indica. Add to it the huge amount of space in the car, it looks like a good proposition. I've owned an Indica Diesel myself. To say the performance is lethargic is being
polite..it has no relation with performance at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Hyundai and Tata are both nearly good.
I certainly would disagree here & JD Power survey's are a testimony to that. TATA doesn't come anywhere near Hyundai.
Old 18th November 2004, 03:28   #7
RJK
Senior - BHPian

About resale values..both are more or less same in that department. As far as maintainence goes Santro would be obviously relatively easier since its a petrol engine. However Indica shouldn't trouble if you stick to specified service intervals plus Indica's spares are very cheap. As a package Indica is thumping VFM & appeals a lot to the head. Again..if your usage is not much then avoid a diesel car.
Old 18th November 2004, 03:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Im wondering, why not up the budget a bit more and go for the Getz, its a far superior car than either of them innit?
Old 18th November 2004, 11:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rjkulkarni @ Nov. 18 2004,00:51)]I certainly would disagree here & JD Power survey's are a testimony to that. TATA doesn't come anywhere near Hyundai.
Well but i would agree cauz i have met 1000s of Tata owners who are very very happy with the service they get at the service stations....and even I am one of them!!
Old 18th November 2004, 11:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rjkulkarni @ Nov. 18 2004,00:51)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Stratos @ Nov. 17 2004,20:39)]...most of the people here will suggest you a Santro as always...cars from international companies have a softcorner rather than a car from an indian manufacturer.
What kind of ridiculous argument is this?
Well it isnt riduculous..but its the truth...arent other manufacturers prefered over Indian manufacturers?? one of the reason being...we Indians havent been able to cope up with the fit and finish similar to the cars developed in the rest of the world!! Isnt that a truth???
Then are our engines....they may not be as powerful as other cars...but they are way ahead in fuel efficiency..which matters much more to a common man rather than the acceleration figures or topspeed.....
So a spade will always remain a spade even if u call it a jack!!!

Old 18th November 2004, 11:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Stratos @ Nov. 18 2004,09:20)]Well it isnt riduculous..but its the truth...arent other manufacturers prefered over Indian manufacturers?? one of the reason being...we Indians havent been able to cope up with the fit and finish similar to the cars developed in the rest of the world!! Isnt that a truth???
Then are our engines....they may not be as powerful as other cars...but they are way ahead in fuel efficiency..which matters much more to a common man rather than the acceleration figures or topspeed.....
So a spade will always remain a spade even if u call it a jack!!!
I agree with stratos that FE is the most important factor in buying a car for the common man in India, and Indian companies are making cars that suit the Indian environment..

We have bad roads in India...really bad roads...and tata cars are really tough...i used to own an indica petrol myself so trust me i know.

But yes the fit and finish is not upto the mark...but tata is learning...its an upcoming manufacturer in the passenger car segment...so these sort of things are nothing special.

Drifter
Old 18th November 2004, 12:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

U said it drifter...
RJ...thats my point....take it in a positive way.....most of the people have this thought at the back of their mind that..."Oh thats an Indian car....god knows how would it be". Believe me...people have asked me..why the hell did u buy a Tata when there were better international cars available in the market.!!
Old 18th November 2004, 12:34   #13
BHPian

Well guys,
Since I'm the new comer to this car world, my questions may be stupid, but I would like to know, why should I drive 2500-3000 km per month, if I go for diesel car(as someone suggested), I thought that was needed because the car prices between diesel and petrol engines were high, but indica petrol/diesel difference is hardly around 15000-20000 rs. Another thing, what is the harm in going for diesel engine, if it offers all the goodies of petrol plus FE and low running cost(I may be sounding ignorant here, if someone can give me pro-cons of petrol/diesel engines) and I thought the latest V2(with butterflies ) looked much better than santro or even palio. Comments solicited.
Old 18th November 2004, 12:49   #14
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]why should I drive 2500-3000 km per month, if I go for diesel car
Actually its the other way round. If u drive 2500-3000 kms a month buy a diesel. Thats bcos its as much efficient as a petrol engine and diesel prices are comparatively cheaper than petrol. The extra money u save over petrol can be used later for servicing. I guess over a long period of time diesel engine maintenance is more expensive than petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]arent other manufacturers prefered over Indian manufacturers?? one of the reason being...we Indians havent been able to cope up with the fit and finish similar to the cars developed in the rest of the world!! Isnt that a truth???
Thats why we chose the Qualis instead of the Bolero. It definitely makes a difference. Imagine you have to spend your hard earned money on something. And you have to choose between an Indian and foreign brand. But the foreign brand has more quality and is priced a bit higher. At this time no one would think of Indian/imported. The only thing on their mind is that they should not regret what they have bought. Some people might not want to take the risk of buying the Indian stuff cos they must have had a bad experience. Some might not buy the foreign stuff for similar reasons.

Also we are not in British raj anymore that we have to think Indian or imported. What gives us more value for money is what we will buy. What suits us more is what we'll buy. What we like more is what we'll buy. Thank you !
Old 18th November 2004, 12:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rajdoll...actually diesel cars need to be driven regularly as for the engine requirements!!! They actually start to show wonders only after say 4000-5000kms!! There is absolutely no harm in buying a diesel...as i said it earlier...it will suit u r criteria properly!! The DLS version in Indica is to go for!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks