Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2008, 13:05   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 32
Thanked: Once
Default Few questions on choice between Santro/WagonR/Estillo/Alto

I am planning to buy a new car and have shortlisted Santro/WagonR/Estillo/Alto..Since i am currently learning driving, want to keep the choices simple. I have driven santro/alto during my driving lessons, and no experience of driving wagon-r/estillo.

My usage would be pretty light - approx 400 km per month with an occasional long trip on weekends. Most of the usage will be in Mumbai city traffic - around 15 km daily. I dont care much for either looks or performance, but more concerned with seating comfort, pleasant driving experience, and would like the most easy-to-drive, responsive zippy car.

Few questions
1) Is power window a useful feature to have? Is it true that power windows face more problems and are costlier to maintain etc than normal windows?

2) I have a slightly weird observation on santro. The back seat of Santro is curved as in the middle portion is further back compared to the two sides near the two windows. So, if you are sitting at the back right hand side behind the driver, the portion of the back seat supporting your left side is further back compared to the right side - which means that you do not have flat back support, which i found rather uncomfortable. Has anyone ever noticed this before, or is it just my mind playing games?

3)On the Alto - i have read a lot that its interiors are very cramped and there is very little leg space. My question is whether the legspace is so cramped that it will cause problems for a person of thin-to-moderate build with a height of about 5 feet 6 inches?

4) I have also read that the Zen Estillo was launched hastily, and as a result, it is not very popular in the Indian market leading to poor resale value. Is that true? Apart from looks, any particular reason to choose Estillo over wagon-r?

5) Another observation on the santro and especially the indica - the high windscreen glass position seems to make visibility slightly difficult as in I seem to have to stretch my neck to see forward sometimes and at corners. (I am 5 feet 7 inches). Is this something that has bothered anybody here?

6) Apart from leg-space, what would be the only clinching argument to go for any other car than Alto in my list, if as i said earlier I dont care much for either looks or performance. I anyway believe that none of the above will seat 5 persons really comfortably, and so for example - what could be the reason for choosing estillo over alto?

Thanks in advance
Neeraj
Neeraj Dabake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 15:04   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,031
Thanked: 214 Times
Default

Look no further than the SANTRO XING GLS.

Its the best car among all you mentioned. In fact I would also suggest the i10 which is more modern and more comfortable. Also you get the latest.

The Visibility in Santro is among the best.

Power Windows are usually trouble free - I haven't had a problem in my 4.5 yr old Santro Xing till today ( driven over 55k ). The only time it might give you a problem is if you have a Kid who loves playing with the Power Windows

The ALto is way too cramped and so is the Zen Estilo.

Wagon R would also be a good choice ( If you do not like the Santro that is )

So My suggestion would be i10 or Santro. Cheers !!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 15:23   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,269
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default

Test drive WagonR, Estillo, Santro and i10 and then decide. I've dropped Alto because it is a bit cramped, though it is the best in terms of mileage.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 15:30   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 280
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

There are two variants of Maruti Splash coming by the end of the year (or earlier perhaps) and one of them might replace the Wagon-R. So, avoid Wagon-R if you care for resale value.
pradkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 15:34   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 205
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
There are two variants of Maruti Splash coming by the end of the year (or earlier perhaps) and one of them might replace the Wagon-R. So, avoid Wagon-R if you care for resale value.
Wagon R is selling hot. I doubt they will replace it now. WagonR and Santro are better choices among the four.
joshdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 15:36   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

The Alto is not atall cramped as it is projected to be, especially for a 5'6". I am 6 footer/95kg and I keepon driving for hours nonstop. Also done long drives with 4 adults and kid. If you are looking at mileage, better parking go for Alto. Santro & Estilo has a better rear seat comfort though.
Looking at your usage, so little and more in city, go for WagonR Duo (the gas version will help your pocket) as you need not worry of topspeeds and pickup.

Santro is a nice car but why waste fuel in citytraffic on a Santro standing in signals. Rather buy a WagonR Duo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
The ALto is way too cramped and so is the Zen Estilo.
Alto may be cramped but Estilo definitely not. I find no difference with it than Santro.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 15:44   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

@ akroy: The gas is no longer the cheaper fuel.

My suggestion would be TD the below vehicles and then decide. Are there any ladies driving this vehicle. If yes, then Wagon R / Santro xing / i10 / would be the choice. Otherwise, you can also look for swift LXi. List down all the Pros and cons of the aboe and zero down on the model you want to buy.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 16:40   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 235
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Amoung all the above mentioned you can go in for a Santro (First option) or go in for a i10. Alto is too low and lags in terms of power. Estilo (Old horse in a funny shape) more of a toy (Childs Play). Wagon too boxy.
metropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 16:54   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

i 10 is a bit over priced ,but santro wagon r and estilo is in the same bracket and all three have similar performance.now both hyundai and msil have got its own plus and minus points.maruti is always cheaper on parts and good A.S.S.santro has the best head lamps etc.study them and decide which is the better option for you.wagon r wont be stoped as it is the best seller in the segment and second best seller in india next to alto.happing car hunting.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 17:54   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,269
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default

Even Santro is on the way out, not only WagonR. So if you are looking for resale value, avoid both of these.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 18:03   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Ramsagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore-Nellore
Posts: 1,327
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

go for i10 instead of santro...don't know when they will stop producing SANTRO as it may capture i10 market...else its a good car.

No Offense meant SANTRO owners...
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 19:27   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,038
Thanked: 681 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj Dabake View Post
I am planning to buy a new car and have shortlisted Santro/WagonR/Estillo/Alto..Since i am currently learning driving, want to keep the choices simple. I have driven santro/alto during my driving lessons, and no experience of driving wagon-r/estillo.

My usage would be pretty light - approx 400 km per month with an occasional long trip on weekends. Most of the usage will be in Mumbai city traffic - around 15 km daily. I dont care much for either looks or performance, but more concerned with seating comfort, pleasant driving experience, and would like the most easy-to-drive, responsive zippy car.

Few questions
1) Is power window a useful feature to have? Is it true that power windows face more problems and are costlier to maintain etc than normal windows?

2) I have a slightly weird observation on santro. The back seat of Santro is curved as in the middle portion is further back compared to the two sides near the two windows. So, if you are sitting at the back right hand side behind the driver, the portion of the back seat supporting your left side is further back compared to the right side - which means that you do not have flat back support, which i found rather uncomfortable. Has anyone ever noticed this before, or is it just my mind playing games?

3)On the Alto - i have read a lot that its interiors are very cramped and there is very little leg space. My question is whether the legspace is so cramped that it will cause problems for a person of thin-to-moderate build with a height of about 5 feet 6 inches?

4) I have also read that the Zen Estillo was launched hastily, and as a result, it is not very popular in the Indian market leading to poor resale value. Is that true? Apart from looks, any particular reason to choose Estillo over wagon-r?

5) Another observation on the santro and especially the indica - the high windscreen glass position seems to make visibility slightly difficult as in I seem to have to stretch my neck to see forward sometimes and at corners. (I am 5 feet 7 inches). Is this something that has bothered anybody here?

6) Apart from leg-space, what would be the only clinching argument to go for any other car than Alto in my list, if as i said earlier I dont care much for either looks or performance. I anyway believe that none of the above will seat 5 persons really comfortably, and so for example - what could be the reason for choosing estillo over alto?


Thanks in advance
Neeraj
Santro scores on all these fronts. But dont have any experience wih the I10 and Estillo.

I dont have power windows and dont face any issue, but yeah, its supposed to be uncool to not have power windows. Dont think it makes one bit of a difference. Most of the time I drive with the AC on. Just open the windows for the toll.

Never faced this issue. But then once you install seat covers with padding, the seats are pretty comfy. The ride is a lil rough on the rear on broken roads and on corners. Each and every bump filters in. Its typical of tall boy cars.

Alto is absolutely fine for a person fitting the description above. Its just that the Santro and Wagon R are easier getting into and out of as compared to the Alto, but once you're in the drivers seat, some ppl prefer the lower seating of an Alto. Its really a matter of personal preference. Do a TD and decide.

I dont like the looks of the Estillo, but some friends love the car, so take your own call. They claim its a pleasure to drive. You could search for the Estillo reviews on T-BHP.

No issues faced with visibility on the Santro. Had some problems with the visibility on an Indica, but you get used to it. also some ppl attach a small rod to the tip of the bumper, this resolves the visibility issue.

The Santro and Wagon R will give you more space as compared to the Alto, and its not just leg space, but also head room. You dont feel claustrophobic in a Santro/Wagon R with 4 adults. Builld quality and refinement levels are also much better on the Santro as compared to the Alto. Squeaks and rattles are also much lesser on the Santro as compared to the Alto. HAve driven both extensively and wont hesitate to say, Go for the Santro. You'll love it.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 20:05   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Buy a used car first.

Neeraj - you seem to be an absolutely newbie, and I deduce that you have not driven any car otehr than the one at driving school. It also appears that you have not owned a car in the family.

Cars in driving schools are used by newbie drivers, and are "doctored" for being used by newbie drivers. The clutch and brakes (play, amount of effort required, etc) will behave very differently from a normal car.

So, I suggest you go in for a used car - preferably a M800. Being in Mumbai, you will be able to source one for around 50K - or even less. Use it for a maximum 6 months. Remember that 50K is the depreciation you are going to face in the next 6 months, given the new launches and launch of the Tata 1 l car. Do not worry if the car breaks down totally, and the mechanic says that it a total loss. spending less than 50K on an old car is better than ending up with a 30K depreciation and a 5K repair bill to fix dents on a brand new car. (I know you will not like this - sorry; but still, I am speaking from my own experience)

With the ownership of used car, you can get some experience, "feel" of ownership and of course, a better appreciation of what it takes to drive and features / frills you will require from a car.

With this experience, do go ahead and assess the cars available in the the market by the time you are reasonably experienced. I guess that in the next 5 - 6 months, you will get another 4 models at least to choose from.

There are other threads on this forum about buying second hand / used cars - go through those for assistance on buying used cars. And if you decide to go in for a new car only, yhere are also comparasions between the various models and variants on this forum.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 19:36   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 32
Thanked: Once
Default

All - Many many thanks for ur comments.

akroy - thanks for your comments on the alto. I keep wondering why maruti wud make a car which wud be cramped for even not-so-tall folks. I will get a thorough feel for myself both with the front and back seat.

Lalvaz - good point abt the power windows ! Somehow i dont seem to feel comfortable with the santro with the rear-seat issue. Although since i will be driving most of the time, back-seat is not going to be a problem for me - will ask my folks to see how they like it.

Backseatdriver - i AM an absolute novice, and did have the idea of going for a used-car first just to get the feel for owning a car. but then, heard from many others that u get used to driving within a couple of weeks, and its much easier with a new car. Besides, i dont know where i can get a vehcile for 50K? At least on truevalue - they seem to be quoting at least 120K+? Besides, it feels sad to see 50K cash go through, rather than the 50K invisible depreciation

I am kinda inclined for the wagonr right now - comfortable, spacy etc..unless i can get out the discomfort for santro that i seem to have developed. I am looking forward to own this car for fairly long - maybe at least 4-5 years plus - and thats the only reason i am inclined to not choose alto. There seems to be no clear verdict on estillo, even though i have no problem with looks as such, so not too inclined for it.

Any further suggestions/comments?
Neeraj Dabake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 21:20   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj Dabake View Post
Backseatdriver - i AM an absolute novice, and did have the idea of going for a used-car first just to get the feel for owning a car. but then, heard from many others that u get used to driving within a couple of weeks, and its much easier with a new car. Besides, i dont know where i can get a vehcile for 50K? At least on truevalue - they seem to be quoting at least 120K+? Besides, it feels sad to see 50K cash go through, rather than the 50K invisible depreciation

I am kinda inclined for the wagonr right now - comfortable, spacy etc..unless i can get out the discomfort for santro that i seem to have developed. I am looking forward to own this car for fairly long - maybe at least 4-5 years plus - and thats the only reason i am inclined to not choose alto. There seems to be no clear verdict on estillo, even though i have no problem with looks as such, so not too inclined for it.
Where a sub 50K car is available?? Try another true value dealer. Or a neighbouring mechanic - he should be able to source a car for still lesser price. Such cars may not be in the best condition, but wil serve the purpose. I suggest this option because once you own and drive a car, you will be able to answer for yourselves why you need power windows, power steering, sunfilm etc.

When I got my car, I did byepass the sub 50K used car option, and am regretting. It is not just about getting to drive.

BTW why is Indica Xeta out of your list? When I purchased, the choices were between Xeta and WagonR. Right now, the choice would between Xeta and i10. I do feel sometimes that not taking Xeta was a bad decision. Xeta for its low price; i10 for being the latest mode, refined and appropriate price. Do consider the Xeta GLG variant for it has front power windows.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Force Gama - A few questions H3LIOS SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 74 11th May 2015 10:32
Hyundai i10 ERA or WagonR LXi or ZEN Estillo LXi SumitBahl Hatchbacks 41 12th September 2010 00:41
Zen Estillo/Wagon R/ Santro XO Owners Please! cartech Hatchbacks 36 19th February 2009 13:36
Help needed in choosing between Xeta/WagonR/Santro AshvinKumar Hatchbacks 35 31st October 2007 20:32
I got a few questions for you motorheads... Sid Schumacher Technical Stuff 5 13th October 2005 15:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks