Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 06:55   #1
BHPian

Mayday Mayday - Tree fell on my car!

Folks,

I got woken up by security of our society at 6 in the morning. They had a news for me. And the news still has to sink in.

A tree ,from outside of the fence of our society, fell off. It has 3 cars under it, one being mine. I rushed to take a look. My car is right middle in the mess, i can walk up to her along the wall, see her from front.

The wind screen seems intact. So does the front panels, am expecting (and hoping against the hope its not) some damage at the rear which is absolutely not accesible/visible.

Logged in here to quickly check what is the role of insurere here. My car, a Ford Fiesta, is 4 months old. I have taken a few pics, any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Let me know what I should and should not do.

My car is right inside this
Mayday Mayday - Tree fell on my car!-image0302.jpg

It did not uproot, it just "broke"

Mayday Mayday - Tree fell on my car!-image0301.jpg

Third bonnet is my car
Mayday Mayday - Tree fell on my car!-image0300.jpg

A pic from front, wind screen seems intact
Mayday Mayday - Tree fell on my car!-image0298.jpg

Right behind this greenery is my Chill color sweet heart, not sure if she is chilling as of now. Need to get her out ASAP :(
Mayday Mayday - Tree fell on my car!-image0299.jpg

Mods: If this is not the right place, please move the thread accordingly.

Last edited by New.Novice : 11th August 2010 at 07:01.
Old 11th August 2010, 07:58   #2
J.Ravi

Sorry for the sad development. I pray that the car's rear portion is free from any damages.

Old 11th August 2010, 09:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'm sorry for your state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice
My car, a Ford Fiesta, is 4 months old
IMO, you don't have to worry much on monetary part, as your car is just 4 months old. You'll be able to get almost everything covered by the insurance company. If at all you need to shell out something, it would be something negligible. All your labours & metal will be covered 100% by insurance.

Take a good time before handing over the car to any Ford A.S.S; spend some time to find out a competent Ford A.S.S (even if it is located little far off). Reason being that, when the doors are damaged along with the body, the body work needs to be done carefully by experienced people.

Last edited by aargee : 11th August 2010 at 09:24.
Old 11th August 2010, 09:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
IMO, you don't have to worry much on monetary part, as your car is just 4 months old. You'll be able to get almost everything covered by the insurance company. If at all you need to shell out something, it would be something negligible. All your labours & metal will be covered 100% by insurance.
Well, that's just bad luck.

Plastic and rubber parts: You pay 50%.
Anything else: Insurer pays 100% since the car is less than 6 months old.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:29   #5
BHPian

@ Aargee & SS-Traveller,

Isnt it a natural calamity ? Fallig a tree ?

Is this act covered under the insurance policy ?

New.Novice, you better contact the insurance company to get more details. Otherwise you will have to crook a story about some accident on the road.

Lets hope for the best, when it comes to claiming insurance.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Similar thing happened to me. Take pictures. Inform insurance company and get claim number. They will tell you whether they will want to view car at scene or take it to the repair facility and they will assess car
Old 11th August 2010, 11:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
@ Aargee & SS-Traveller,

New.Novice, you better contact the insurance company to get more details. Otherwise you will have to crook a story about some accident on the road.

Holy!

Yes, it should be natural calamity and should be covered. Hope there isnt much damage.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
@ Aargee & SS-Traveller,

AFAIK, it is not a Natural "calamity". To qualify as a natural calamity, the event has to effect x (usually in thousands) number of people.

But you have to go through the policy document thoroughly to understand this clause.
Old 11th August 2010, 12:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry to hear this.
Take lots of pics, call up the insurance guy asap.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

It is an accident not a natural calamity & it has to be covered by insurance.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Rather than terming it as a natural calamity, I think law defines it as 'an act of God'. I am pretty sure insurance will take care of this case.

I am however sorry that this had to happen to a new car.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:22   #12
BHPian

Oh boy!! So sorry to hear about the accident..

From the looks of it, I doubt there would be too serious/major damage to the cars because the main trunk is still resting on the boundary wall.

I sincerely pray that this doubt of mine comes true..

Don't worry a lot, even the structural damages can be repaired these days with perfection. In this case, hopefully it would be superficial damages only. Rest assured, once your car returns from the workshop, there won't be any tell tale signs!

Last edited by AlokSriva : 11th August 2010 at 13:24.
Old 11th August 2010, 13:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I have undergone this wierd thing of tree falling over a car while I am driving it.

As much as I know, there is some clause in Insurance which does not cover if a tree falls on the car while its in parked mode.

@New.Novice, best thing to do at the moment is to contact your insurance ASAP. Collect as many pictures as possible where the regn. plates are clearly visible.
Old 11th August 2010, 14:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
As much as I know, there is some clause in Insurance which does not cover if a tree falls on the car while its in parked mode.
A tree fell on my neighbor's Ikon when it was parked in front of the house and insurance covered it.

Please take a lot of pictures from every possible angle including the number plates before the mess is cleared.

Found a pic of the Ikon. I had uploaded it in the Accidents thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-09_1040_2.jpg

Last edited by Gilead : 11th August 2010 at 14:24.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:03   #15
BHPian

Thanks all of you to have visited and leaving suggestions. I did talk to both Dealer as well as Insurance. While Insurance was non-committal my sales guy was upbeat of getting this taken care of.

Half the day got spent in taking out cars (in total 4). Since the main trunk was still hanging on the wall, it was no mean task to cut branches and take out car's one by one as one wrong move could have made the whole thing coming crashing down.

First to go out was an i10 (the red one that you can see in one of the pic above), absolutely scratch less. Second was the turn of Spark parked right next to it. It took us some time, but it also came out well. one branch was very delicately stuck on its rear glass, but we did manage to take it out almost harmlessly (some very very minor scratches, not visible unless you look hard).

It was my car then, but the whole rescue team was not sure if we can do that, the heaviest of branches were resting on my car. So we decided to move from the other side and took out an Indica, stuck on the other side of my car. This one came out well too without any damages.

We then moved to my car. It was decided that we will have to approach it from back as most of the car was not even visible from back/sides for us to be sure which braches are taking the maximum load and in fact how many in total are on top of my car.

We started making our way to the car through cutting and chopping whatever came our way and we thought was safe to cut off. The first visuals from the back were heart breaking. Heaviest of branches were on the roof and sides of the car, hugging it like serpents.

The good news was, we saw nothing broken. Boy, does Ford make strong bodies or I was plain lucky. None managed to poke in or fell at an angle which could harm the glasses or the roof. We managed to pull out the car in reverse after providing support to some of the branches and few being pulled by hands while I reverse. A close inspection revealed that there are same dents (or should I say depressions) on the frame right above the rear right door. Right where it start coming down, parallel to real glass, to the boot. A couple of scratches too.

I am going to take it to Ford to get the assessment done. If the cost is not much, I would rather not like to go for insurance. The question here is, do they do dent removal from that area? I am asking as Maruti ones refused to do that since as per them it was a very costly affair though the dents were small (similar case now). And if yes, can someone in NCR suggest a reliable and reasonable (essentially price competitive) place?

Having gone through this, I am not sure I should consider myself lucky or unlucky. Unlucky, because there are about 200 cars in our society which do not have a covered parking place and get parked in open. The tree has to fell on mine (which is only 4 month old, the other one I had been parking there for 4 years). Or should I consider myself lucky as despite that, it came out in a shape no one imagined when the rescue was on.

I could not take pictures when we were actually reaching my car, as I did not want to leave it on those guys alone. Have taken some before and after that. Will post them in the evening.

Last edited by New.Novice : 12th August 2010 at 12:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks