Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2013, 09:42   #346
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
I agree with your point only thing is that if that rumour come true then in less than 8 months this will become a pre face lift and faced out engine car. That's my only worry inspite of paying 10 lakhs for a hatch.
So you meant to say if they launch the 1.5 TDI, the 1.6 version will be phased out and you will end up with a car having a discontinued engine?

Well, even if they launch the 1.5 TDI, and phase out the 1.6 version form Polo, there is strong probability that the 1.6 will keep doing the job in Vento, thus you don't have to be worried about service and the spare parts availability.

If this happens then situation will be something like 1.6 petrol Polo, the same engine is there in the Vento and we haven't hear about any complain regarding unavailability of spare part or service for the 1.6 Polo.

What if they completely replace the 1.6 TDI with the 1.5 TDI and do the same with Vnto as well? Well I don't think VW will remove the 1.6 from Vento. There is no sense in removing the 1.6 TDI from Vento because Vento is more than 4 meters longer car hence no saving in extra taxes if they plonk a smaller engine.

I don't feel VW will replace an engine within one year. Polo 1.6 petrol's case was different, it didn't got much takers of it hence they discontinued it. If 1.6 TDI receives decent response form the market, there is strong probability that they don't touch the 1.6 TDI version till the next generation Polo arrives.

The rumored 1.5 is said to be based on the 1.6 TDI version but still there will be lot of mechanical changes in the engine. So far this engine doesn't exit anywhere in the world, means real test of it will start when it will be launched in the rumored Indian Polo. If you ask me, I would pick an tried and tested version amongst two if I have the choice, here its the 1.6 TDI which has been doing the job in various VAG cars all over the world.

Quote:
I am really tempted with the TSI but not sure what will be the difference in mileage in Bangalore traffic on a daily basis if driven hard.
You can expect anything around 10 kmpl mark and can squeeze more with light foot driving but thats not the way to drive a TSI .

These are just my views considering today's scenario. Take a call after thinking about all the aspects.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 15th September 2013 at 09:47.
tbppjpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 10:14   #347
Senior - BHPian

While the OTR difference between Vento and Polo 1.6 TDI is 2 lakhs, Vento has nearly 75k discounts running in the form of FREE --- 3 year free insurance, 3rd year warranty + RSA, 3 year AMC and miscellaneous. For an additional 1 lakh, the Vento make more practical choice for the practical buyer who wants the best of all worlds.
Old 15th September 2013, 15:13   #348
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
What if they completely replace the 1.6 TDI with the 1.5 TDI and do the same with Vnto as well? Well I don't think VW will remove the 1.6 from Vento. There is no sense in removing the 1.6 TDI from Vento because Vento is more than 4 meters longer car hence no saving in extra taxes if they plonk a smaller engine.
1.6tdi will eventually be replaced by the 1.5tdi in both the cars. Just that it will come in 2 different states of tune!

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...14-356952.aspx
Old 15th September 2013, 15:17   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Took a test drive a while back with my room-mate and 2 sales guys at the showroom. Mind = blown!
How hard is the clutch ? I felt the regular Polo TDI's clutch to be too hard. And has the suspension been stiffened compared to the regular Polo ?
Old 16th September 2013, 10:48   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Oh wow. That must be one of the first ones. Congratulations.

When would be taking delivery?

MaSh
A weeks time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This car with a Remap + improved brakes + improved suspension + subtle changes to exterior, this car is a Sleeper.
Exactly my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
How hard is the clutch ? I felt the regular Polo TDI's clutch to be too hard. And has the suspension been stiffened compared to the regular Polo ?
Test drive review

- Clutch is soft, Gear shifts are super smooth.

- Suspension is brilliant. I flew over few pot holes and humps and no signs of under body scraping. Had fun drifting car aswell.

- Getting all the torque at 1500rpm, now this is better than my remapped magnum for driving in city. Add to that it has a very good Power To Weight Ratio(kerb weight is 1156 kgs). This car is so chunkable in city that you need to drive it to belive it.

- Could not drive more than 100kmph as the test track had limited area.

- Upon hard braking it just stopped in a hurry without any drama. I am very much sure it has EBD, anyways have to confirm.

- Sales man told we are first one to book the Polo GT Tdi.

Finally my relatives, parents and wify asked "10lkhs for a small hatchback? not worth it."
They could'nt understand my requirements, I could'nt express my requirements to them.

Last edited by brraj : 16th September 2013 at 11:15.
brraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 11:55   #351
BANNED

Quote:
I think diesel cars' clutch hardens up as they age. This is what I have seen in examples of cars (across makes) that I have driven. For this reason I feel that AT is more necessity in diesels.
Old 16th September 2013, 13:23   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
As per ARAI:

Vento TDI: 20.5 kmpl
Polo GT TDI: 19.7 kmpl
Snapshots from the respective brochures.

Vento
  • VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-ventoarai.jpg

Polo
  • VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-pologttdi-arai.jpg

I thought the 'GT' got a tune appropriate to the name & hence the reduction in ARAI figures even though any Sedan is relatively heavier than the Hatch.

Quote:
- There is a noticeable turbo lag upto 2000 rpm. And then suddenly the turbo kicks in and felt as if we pressed the NOS for an instant!
- The engine seemed rev happy going all the way up to 5000 rpm without issues. Idles at 900 rpm in the first gear with no vibrations felt in the cabin.
- Massive low-end torque! Without downshifting much, I was able to zoom past some of those crawling cars on the highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
They've taken the engine from the Vento and put in the Polo. No changes in the torque delivery, the noticable turbo lag is there even in the Vento. Wish they had tuned it a bit and removed the initial turbo lag. It's named as a 'GT', VW you could've adjusted the intial turbo lag a bit.
Looks like it is not. It appears to be the same VW 1.6 TDI as on the Vento with the same tune.

Quote:
- Spare wheel is an alloy = yay!
On the lighter side, may be the Alloy Spare wheel made the vehicle heavier that the sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Couldnt resist booked one
Quote:
Paid the booking amount. Tentative delivery in a fortnight's time.
Congrats @brraj & @Gannu_1 : Wish you guys a speedy delivery so that you can provide us a better picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
1.6tdi will eventually be replaced by the 1.5tdi in both the cars. Just that it will come in 2 different states of tune!
Does the 1.5 TDI have a history ? Why does VW want to succumb to the 'tax benefits' ? Hope they retain the proven 1.6 TDI atleast as an option.

& I hope they give it a 6th gear. Odo is at 12 K on my 9 month old Vento & am loving my first German experience !

Cheers !
Old 16th September 2013, 13:39   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Does the 1.5 TDI have a history ?

Does'nt appear so.

Current TDI's.http://www.autoevolution.com/volkswagen/polo-5-doors/
Old 16th September 2013, 13:47   #354
BHPian

I'm quite excited about this car. Have been waiting for its launch for some time.

To me this car makes a lot of sense. I want a powerful hatchback that can be used as a everyday car. It should handle well , and looks a sleeper.

Still to drive this car, but I had drove the 1.2tsi. To me without a manual transmission, just can't connect with the car. Would have been in a big dilemma if they had offered 1.2tsi with manual option. Tsi is a great motor, but I'm lucky enough to enjoy it in a vRS . Frankly was jealous when it was announced new Octavia 1.8tsi is coming with 180ps engine. But news that only dsg is being offered made me happy

Went offtopic deliberately. Yes Polo GT Tdi doesnt have ESP or hill hold and some see it as a reason for not choosing it. ESP can be a life-saver and I completely agree. But when you think from heart, or ask someone who bought a Laura Tsi or vRS whether lack of ESP or hill hold put them off or made them choose a L&K or Jetta, you will get what I'm trying to say. vRS even doesnt have a steering controls or auto AC or USB module for that matter. But still you enjoy every minute behind the wheel, while pushing it or being sedate and I guess the GT Tdi makes sense for those people. It has ample amount of torque, a manual tranny, fuel efficient, should handle well and fast by our standards.

And add a Pete's tuning box, upsize your tyres , get some better brakes/upgrade your suspension and you are in a different league of performance than can eclipse the GT Tsi.

I know I'm assuming too much without a test drive. But if it can leave a smile, its soon going to be in my garage.

Eagerly waiting for the official review.

Last edited by avinash_clt : 16th September 2013 at 13:51. Reason: adding a point.
Old 16th September 2013, 13:47   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
1.5 TDI will be an all-new engine, specifically designed for India. Along with Polo GT, it will surely be used in the upcoming mini SUV. In all likelyhood, it will be manufactured in India. So why not use it in facelifted Vento (which has to undergo homologation anyway)? VW can save on import duties on the 1.6 TDI, even if the excise duty doesn't change. But it is up to them whether they want to pass on the benefits to the customers. But the strategy of Polo coming with 1.5 TDI in lower state of tune while Polo GT and Vento/Rapid coming in higher state of tune fits quite well for VW's product portfolio.
Old 16th September 2013, 13:50   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
1.5 TDI will be an all-new engine, specifically designed for India.
VW’s 1.5 diesel, which is essentially a downsized version of the Vento’s EA189 1.6 TDI motor will make its debut in the VW Polo facelift. With a cubic capacity below 1.5 litres, this new engine is eligible for the lower excise tax bracket for small cars.
The 1.5 TDI engine will come with two power outputs 66kw (89bhp) and 77kw (104bhp) and will replace the 1.2 litre three-cylinder diesel and the 1.6 TDI respectively.

Source:ACI
Old 16th September 2013, 14:09   #357
BHPian

I just got a call from the dealership in Pune where I had booked the GT TDI last week.
They said the prices have been revised (increased) by VW and though the revised price does not apply on my booking, but their earlier pricing had a mistake related to calculation of RTO charges.
The new on-road price is 9.40L (instead of 9.13L) after correction!
Old 16th September 2013, 14:21   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
A weeks time.

Exactly my thoughts.

Test drive review

- Clutch is soft, Gear shifts are super smooth.

- Suspension is brilliant. I flew over few pot holes and humps and no signs of under body scraping. Had fun drifting car aswell.

- Getting all the torque at 1500rpm, now this is better than my remapped magnum for driving in city. Add to that it has a very good Power To Weight Ratio(kerb weight is 1156 kgs). This car is so chunkable in city that you need to drive it to belive it.

- Could not drive more than 100kmph as the test track had limited area.

- Upon hard braking it just stopped in a hurry without any drama. I am very much sure it has EBD, anyways have to confirm.

- Sales man told we are first one to book the Polo GT Tdi.

Finally my relatives, parents and wify asked "10lkhs for a small hatchback? not worth it."
They could'nt understand my requirements, I could'nt express my requirements to them.

I booked mine too from the Kochi dealer , a deep black one at that.
Old 16th September 2013, 14:23   #359
BHPian

Quote:
I testdrove the car last friday at Elite Motors Bangalore. I must say i was given a fair good time for test drive. Here's what i felt (i own a vento HL Tdi, hence the review may be relative to vento)

1. Power, surge or 'adrenaline'- awesome ! (dont need any further detailing) For some reason, i felt that GT TDI was better than GT TSI in power and pick-up. Guess, its to do with the torquey engine. You get a feeling as if the car is asking for more, even after you have floored you pedal.
2. Braking- Good, but i strongly feel this model require ESP (only available from Jetta presently).
3. Dynamics- Good, but for what is under the hood, it needs a better driver behind the wheel to tame it, else can be a problem for others on the road.
4. Fuel Economy is against what i have learnt all these days. Its lower than Vento . Am i missing something here?
5. Suspension- Not sure if they have done anything better with it for the increased weight of the engine, i felt the suspension has improved for good (atlreast for my test drive stretch).

My wife who tried sitting in the rear seat said, she felt a better legroom. She had rejected Polo while we were thinking between polo and vento few months back, saying polo was so cramped for rear benchers. SA said they have increased legroom by 4mm by better design (read as better contouring of rear side of front row seats). But i guess that's helped.
murajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 14:51   #360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I haven't driven the Polo before so I cannot comment on this aspect but the suspension of the TD car felt a bit stiff for me having driven the Dzire VXi before. This could be possibly because the car is relatively new and/or the tyres have been over-inflated. Then again, the roads were nearly good during the TD without many potholes/rough patches to drive through so there weren't many issues I could notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Congrats @brraj & @Gannu_1 : Wish you guys a speedy delivery so that you can provide us a better picture.
Thanks! I shall try posting a thread with some snaps and impressions once the car is delivered.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks