Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2014?
Maruti Alto K10 25 1.02%
Datsun Go 12 0.49%
Maruti Celerio 129 5.26%
Tata Zest 962 39.20%
Hyundai Xcent 39 1.59%
Hyundai Elite i20 486 19.80%
Honda Mobilio 57 2.32%
Maruti Ciaz 121 4.93%
Honda City 238 9.70%
Mahindra Scorpio 75 3.06%
Toyota Corolla Altis 54 2.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 29 1.18%
Audi A3 91 3.71%
Mercedes GLA-Class 45 1.83%
Mini Cooper 21 0.86%
Mercedes C-Class 70 2.85%
Voters: 2454. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 14:04   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!

My Vote goes to TATA Zest. Really impressed by the car. Tata really worked hard to overcome the Indi-xx branding and the result is bold, good quality car that ticks most of the boxes.

I wish all the best to Zest and hope it is proven niggle free and propel TATA sales up so that we can see more such efforts by the indian car maker
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 14:22   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: Where's the NOTA option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Am I wrong, or was the new City the car that introduced the "chrome moustache" to Indian cars? For that and that reason alone, I would happily skin the chief designer of Honda India alive, and then pour hot chrome all over him.
You really have a sense of humour! your comment above had me and my office mates rolling in laughter!
Old 8th December 2014, 14:25   #228
BHPian

I am in between Hyundai Elite i20 and Tata Zest. Both are excellent from my perspective. The Hyundai Elite is an wonderful upgrade from it previous version with all great features, fantastic looks and within an affordable price range.

At the same time, Zest is the first car I have ever liked from Tata which has sophistication written all over it and a great attempt by Tata to provide a quality car at an affordable price to India customers.

Considering the effort Tata has taken, I sway towards Zest and voting for it

swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 14:27   #229
MHG
BHPian

Last three winners were SUVs in decreasing size year on year:

2013 - Ford EcoSport
2012 - Renault Duster
2011 - Mahindra XUV500

Hoped for Jeep Renegade 4x4 to launch this year in India (which is smaller than EcoSport) to keep the trend going.

The statistician in me was terribly disappointed by the broken trend.

I thus submitted my grudging vote to the Zest instead.

On second thoughts, the Zest represents the market of relatively affordable cars that have features previously found in a higher price band, like the 2010 COTY winner Ford Figo.
MHG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 14:28   #230
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Zest.
Was in two minds between the new i20 and Zest, but then the new i20 has shed some useful features which were available in the earlier version, so my vote is on the Zest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
On second thoughts, the Zest represents the market of relatively affordable cars that have features previously found in a higher price band, like the 2010 COTY winner Ford Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
The vote count for the Zest perplexes me. From the posts I get the feeling that more people are voting for Tata Motors because they finally got something right (including the name, even chefs would like the name) than for the car. Just my observation, no offense!
I agree that this was a reason cited by a few voters, but not all votes are on the same logic. According to me, this car has turned out to be the most VFM with a lot of improvements in the quality standards + feature rich at a price point much lower than the competition.
Not to forget that this is the cheapest Diesel Automatic car in the market right now. Being the first to bring in the AMT on Diesel at this price point.
That is what makes this car get my vote at least.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 8th December 2014 at 14:37.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 14:28   #231
BHPian

Voted for Honda City, bought one this year for a set of reason and so no surprises there. The City is virtually alone in its class and consistent high sales numbers throughout the year backs my reasons.

The vote count for the Zest perplexes me. From the posts I get the feeling that more people are voting for Tata Motors because they finally got something right (including the name, even chefs would like the name) than for the car. Just my observation, no offense!
sun_king is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 14:34   #232
BHPian

Voted for the Zest it is the most exciting car in my preference. I do not like the looks of the Celerio, I feel the Ciaz is really a dud, i think the Datsun GO still has a long way to go to really make an impact and that the Mobilio is not a VFM product.
Most other names on the list are new avatars of existing models and hence are not as exciting as new launches.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 14:52   #233
BHPian

Voted for Tata Zest.

Compared it with i20 and Alto, the other two top challengers and finally decided in favor of the Zest.

It is a big step forward by the TATA and the impact is already there in its looks,performance and sales!.
bbhavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 14:54   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
I voted for Ciaz because it is a completely new product in the higher segment by Maruti and a very competent one. I agree with Rajuputana that the refinement of Ciaz diesel is excellent unlike its competitors. When you press the button to start the engine, there is not even a minor vibration inside the cabin which is not true of its competitors. The doors are solidly built for Maruti standards and it is a properly designed and executed car from grounds up. Add to that the long list of features, ASS and Maruti reliability, vast dealer network and the thrifty engine
True, IMO it is a poor mans' Corolla, more focused on the back seat, refinement levels, built quality, low power frugal diesel engine. Typical executive design. It does make a lot of sense for half the price of Corolla.

But its not as mass market relevant as the Zest IMHO though.
Old 8th December 2014, 15:07   #235
BHPian

My vote goes to Zest. Reason being a freshness in interiors and promise to liven up the segment.
Also segment first AMT sealed it for the Zest.
Close second - I was actually in dilemma over
1. Celerio - for entirely new design rather than patch-work + first AMT in the segment
2. Mobilio - though I am not a big fan of the interiors + the fact that it takes the same design element in new segment (feels cheap) it provides us customers enough space to look for choice apart from Ertiga.

But Zest it is as per me. Hope, this also makes Cashiers at Tata dealers busy fellows.
Old 8th December 2014, 15:16   #236
BHPian

Re: Where's the NOTA option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
New? Huh? In fact I read somewhere that AMT is actually antiquated technology on its way out in advance markets like Europe.
Well ,the ubiquitous and even to some extent the omnipresent 1.3 L uniJet Turbo Diesel (JTD) was introduced in Feb 2003. And after only 12 years, we are getting the downsized version of the 1.6 L. Once a big step up, awarded the best engine in 2005, it may now be junk in many parts of the world. But in India, the engine is apple of many a car's eye . And sadly, the AMT infatuation is going to die off only after each and every entry-level or the conservative-affordable-middle-class' car is going to be plonked with one.
Old 8th December 2014, 15:53   #237
BHPian

Voted for Zest
Good luck Tata, excellent come back. Hope same for the coming years...
Old 8th December 2014, 16:08   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
Agree with your thought. There is no doubt that Tata has made leaps of improvement with the Zest, and probably most of the votes are coming on those lines. Not to take away anything from the car but given a chance, I frankly do not know that how many would prefer a Tata car. Certainly not the percentage shown by the poll
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:12   #239
BHPian

This is what was on my mind:
  • Zest: For bringing in a Diesel Auto in the lower price bracket cars and, in all probability, getting more companies to follow suit. I sincerely think that the Indian roads are better driven in an Auto (I have the i10 Auto and I just love it). Moreover I went to see the Zest in the showroom and came back with a "Wow!". It has everything that one can ask for.
  • Celerio: Again for bringing in the AMT and increasing the competition in the Auto space. (You will notice that I am quite hung up on this Auto concept )
  • i20: It is simply WOW! I have owned 2 Hyundai cars and I can say with reasonable degree of confidence that the Hyundai makes some really affordable and high quality cars. Ownership experience is always superb.
  • Scorpio: No. I am not as imprressed with the drive as I am with the Safari Storme, but Mahindra is actually making Safety a more mandatory feature. And this one aspect itself should be complimented. Kudos to Mahindra for doing this. (Tata - Are you reading this. If you had air bags on the Storme EX, even if optional, I would probably be writing this post sitting in my new SUV. Parked of course, after all it is Safety we are taking about!)
Finally voted for the Zest.
ptushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 16:30   #240
Team-BHP Support

In my opinion Audi A3 is the car that we should focus on. It brought in a different thought process. A luxury brand within affordable limits, starting as low as 23 lakhs, was a thought that not many could introduce. Even the A Class came in at a price point much higher than that. To that extent Audi brought in the mass market thinking into their otherwise premium product line. Take out the bi-xenons and replace them with halogen or take the leather seats out and replace them with fabric upholstery. Solution sounds easy but many a premium brands develop cold feet in implementing such "brand dilutions".

For the sheer courage of Audi to think beyond the obvious the A3 is my choice for the COTY.
Zappo is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks