Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2016, 00:04   #16
AWD
BHPian

re: Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too

Black if done away, good riddance I'd say. The color is completely out of place in Indian settings. The weather is such, bright sunlight, sweltering summers & black absorbs the maximum of sunlight. Then the unruly traffic & thus scratches which shine through black. Lastly need a worker specially to clean it regularly or else the omnipresent dust in India gets the better of it.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 02:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Similarly the new Innova Crysta also does not come in black.
I don't know why isn't the color mentioned on the official website but the Innova Crysta is available in black shade. Recently, checked out the car at Topsel Toyota, Kolkata. The MPV is available in "Attitude Black" shade.
YashD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 11:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
The color is completely out of place in Indian settings. The weather is such, bright sunlight, sweltering summers & black absorbs the maximum of sunlight.
There is no chance that the black colour is stopped because of the Indian weather. Had that been the case, Brezza would not have come in red-black option.

It is the demand that drives the market. Black, green and yellow don't have too many takers. White, silver, grey, red and blue are the moving colours.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 21:28   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^ Agreed. Such decisions usually follow the market. Demand for black had to have slumped for Maruti & others to discontinue it.

I used to be a huge fan of black. At one time, 3 out of the 4 cars in my driveway were black. But that was also the time that sunfilm was allowed. With tints, black cars have ATTITUDE. Without sunfilm, black cars simply don't look that charming. I wouldn't buy a black car until that changes.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 22:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Without sunfilm, black cars simply don't look that charming. I wouldn't buy a black car until that changes.
I wouldn't buy a black car even if that changes. One is more than enough. The upkeep is too much to handle for me. There is simply no point in cleaning it & after 6 years of use, it simply shows more age than any other color (even though it's spic & span inside). And the hot Delhi weather turns it into a cooker if parked in sun.

My next car will be a light color (white or silver... in that range).

Last edited by asr245 : 8th May 2016 at 22:20.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 23:07   #21
BHPian

Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Most manufacturers are now offering colours close to black, but not black

Zest is offered in an unique Grey colour which when viewed at dark looks almost black!
I had mistook that Black colour is offered.
Old 9th May 2016, 02:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Zest is offered in an unique Grey colour which when viewed at dark looks almost black!
I had mistook that Black colour is offered.
True! A lot of manufacturers are doing that now.
The Getz Prime (Facelift) was also available in a midnight grey shade which looked almost black. Even the new City's brown shade looks black during cloudy days or at night if viewed from a distance. A quite a number of other cars too has these kind of shades.
Old 9th May 2016, 03:34   #23
BHPian

I haven't seen too many black Japanese cars, while it certainly is due to customer trends, it could also be due to the fact that in Japanese culture the colour black is a powerful and foreboding colour. Traditionally, black has represented death, destruction, doom, fear and sorrow. Especially when used alone, black represents mourning and misfortune, and is often worn to funerals.

Since a car is one of the major purchases people make, colour is very important to most. And a car's colour can also affect its resale value - and conservative colours are the safer bet when selling; the demand tends to be higher with more sellers around, resulting in a quicker sale.

US-based PPG Industries released its annual automotive color popularity and trend data recently, which confirmed that white is still the most popular car colour based on 2012 automotive build data.

According to that research, globally, 22% of new cars in 2012 were white, 20% silver, 19% black, 12% grey, 9% grey, 8% natural, 7% blue, 2% green while ‘other colors’ had a one per cent share. Clearly, conservative colours are favoured, and PPG predicts that white will continue to be the most popular shade in the foreseeable future.

http://corporate.ppg.com/Color/Color...or-Trends.aspx
Jeeper1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 10:28   #24
BANNED

Black is a premium color and I'm guessing Maruti has plans in place to market it as such and get us to drop some dough for the black color.

I'd say wait until the Boosterjet comes to life. It'll definitely carry a premium and that amount could include the cost of the black paint job, which will offer buyers the exclusivity they crave.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 9th May 2016 at 10:34. Reason: Proofread
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 10:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
1. Indians consider black color as bad omen, from both social and religious angles. Since car is a very pricey and valuable asset, most people consult an astrologer before purchasing, and black is the least suggested color by them.
Very true indeed, remembering the times when we had a black Mark 4 in family. My grandmother always insisted on not using the same for marriage functions and all. It's a fact that black looks much more premium when maintained well.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 11:11   #26
BHPian

My ride! Enough said!
Attached Thumbnails
Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-verna.jpg  

TheBigH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 11:17   #27
BHPian

The Black Audi in Transporter movies gave a new craze for the color, it looks magnificent though it is a dust magnet, read somewhere that insurance companies charge more premium for black / dark colored cars for a reason they tend to get involved in accidents more ( not sure if true ) all said and done, black does represent sorrow and olden days the mortuary vans came in this color which was why it was shunned by elders in the family. While parked on the road the visibility of black colored vehicle is considerably lower when the opposite traffic uses the glaring bright lights.
7heaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 11:30   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^ Agreed. Such decisions usually follow the market. Demand for black had to have slumped for Maruti & others to discontinue it.

I used to be a huge fan of black. At one time, 3 out of the 4 cars in my driveway were black. But that was also the time that sunfilm was allowed. With tints, black cars have ATTITUDE. Without sunfilm, black cars simply don't look that charming. I wouldn't buy a black car until that changes.
But feel white cars need tints more than black to make them look complete. I am contemplating putting dark film on the rear windshield of my S and RS to make to enhance the looks from the rear. The sides are clear tints and with the blinds up in the S it gets a pretty tinted dark look for rear windows.

I think this is a decent compromise and lesser chances of being caught by cops as usually they notice the cars from the front. Once you pass by they can't really do much noticing the rear windshield tint.

Last edited by Sahil : 9th May 2016 at 11:32.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 11:32   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - my first and only color choice is always black. Period! My Scorpio was black. Currently I have the Tata Bolt, which is my perk car. I tried my level best to get black with shining black 18 spoke alloys, with black genuine leather upholstery with red pin-stitching on the seats and the steering wheel (and not on the gear lever knob), but as black is just not offered "for various reasons" , I took the darkest grey fully loaded diesel XT. At least at night it looks black! Small mercies! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 11:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have personally never liked black. I noticed that regardless of cars make and model a black colour paint job always hid the lines and curves of the design.
I also felt that for black to look good It had to be regularly waxed and maintained. An ignored black paint job made the car look horrible!
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks