Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2012, 18:08   #706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Why do you think this is most over-rated, even if it is, dont you think it deserves the attention ? Which other manufacturer is offering this VFM ?

About the niggles/problems, Fortuner from legendary Toyota had braking issues when it was launched and the manufacturer denied to accept it till almost 6mnths after it was launched.
My thinking goes from the m&m cars seen around. This is also true with TATA. Why can't they improve the workmanship and build quality? If many other manufacturers (e.g. VW, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, etc.) are able to give you better workmanship and build quality for their Made In India cars, I do not believe m&m or TATA will not be able to do it. They are capable of delivering the quality but simply lack the attitude and killer instinct. Other niggles and little problems are acceptable. However, with more serious testing and monitoring before launch, even these are avoidable. General principle - Avoid the car whose spare part dealers are doing good business.

For me VFM comes after safety, reliability, build quality, etc. Else Tempo Trax was great VFM MUV and so was TATA Sumo.

I sincerely hope you understand my viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I use an 800 & a Figo. Figo's interior quality, plastics, handles, switches are 100 times better than an 800, although both are from different price bracket & generations.

Handling is best in its class (maybe after tyre upgrade) compared to Swift/Aveo (only cars in same segment which i have driven extesively)

Agreed, Ford cars has their share of problems & issues but on a public forum like this please avoid statements which may provide wrong info.
@skyline GT -R
I am sorry if my post has hurt sentiments.

The Figo I drove was from amongst the first lot of Figo cars in May 2010. If they have improved interior quality later and also changed tyres, I have not driven later edition.

My comparison for handling is with similar size (not cost) cars like Hyundai Getz / Swift that handle similar to Figo and FIAT Palio D that handles much better.
When I drove Figo for test, the same evening I drove - Indica Vista, FIAT Punto, Maruti Ritz, VW Polo and Skoda Fabia. IMO the handling in descending order (Best to not so good) is Polo/Punto, Fabia, Vista/Figo, Ritz.
Polo and Punto are very close, Vista and Figo are also very close.

Thanks.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd February 2012 at 18:43.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 13:42   #707
BHPian

Re: The most over & under rated car in India

Most overrated: Scorpio
- lacks passenger comfort, bad suspensions
- plastic quality is too bad
- dull engine at high speeds
<Was my dream vehicle, for which I saved for almost 2+ years, still am unable to get over the heartbreak of an extensive test drive>

Most underrated: Alto
- great city car
- super FE
- if you dont use AC, then great engine response
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:47   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
- lacks passenger comfort, bad suspensions
- plastic quality is too bad
<Was my dream vehicle, for which I saved for almost 2+ years, still am unable to get over the heartbreak of an extensive test drive>
Everything agreed but dull engine?

Which car are you comparing it with? As far as I know, the mHawk is one of the most responsive diesel engines in that segment.

Maybe you got a badly maintained test drive vehicle.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd February 2012 at 17:42. Reason: fixed quote tags :)
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:06   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post

Most underrated: Alto
32000 units a month and underrated ?
It is doing super business and is highly popular among first time buyers.

Scorpio's engine is its strongest point and is very responsive even when pushed hard
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:58   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
32000 units a month and underrated ?
It is doing super business and is highly popular among first time buyers.

Scorpio's engine is its strongest point and is very responsive even when pushed hard
He said overrated, not underrated. And you have given the precise reason for that - sells like hot cake even after all these negatives. But yes, the engine is a gem
Old 22nd February 2012, 18:04   #711
Senior - BHPian

Most over rated in my view is Bolero - (purely from the sales perspective)
The interiors, quality levels, ride and are still too far from near perfection.
I wish M&M invests in making better BIW in the next makeover instead of just headlamps and bumpers.
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:33   #712
BHPian

Most over rated i think are Lancer, Skoda, City & Zen

and most under rated i think is Palio, Verna & Cedia
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:39   #713
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Snake View Post
Most over rated i think are Lancer, Skoda, City & Zen

and most under rated i think is Palio, Verna & Cedia
Sorry, Skoda? The company as such, or a specific car from them?

Another question - Lancer is overrated and Cedia is underrated? Same car, but sold in different names right?
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:53   #714
BHPian

Under Rated - Chevy Spark. This is a very capable city car. It offers everything a person can ask for in its price range. If this car was from the Maruti stable, then it would have beaten the alto hands down.
Alto is by no means overrated, its pretty good car. But in comparison Spark definitely is underrated.
Old 22nd February 2012, 21:14   #715
Senior - BHPian

IMHO Chevvy beat diesel and petrol is very under rated car. It has perfect design, good interiors, sci-fi speedo console etc.

But is very much neglected.
Old 23rd February 2012, 01:55   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
He said overrated, not underrated. And you have given the precise reason for that - sells like hot cake even after all these negatives. But yes, the engine is a gem
Well he considered Alto to be underrated and hence was my comment.

Alto indeed is an overrated car.
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:40   #717
BHPian

I have often felt that the media is responsible for killing some wonderful products. Moreover if you have been following these magazines, you can clearly find out that there is a trend of favouritism with respect to brands among these magazines. One particular magazine always favoured the Hondas and the BM's in their respective segment. No Doubt they are fantastic cars, but the justification of "heart over the mind" simply doesnt sink into me. The competitors would have better ratings throughout the report but in the conclusion, it would be edged over by these brands by the above logic. Trust me I am not questioning their products, but it is something I have been noticing for a very long time.
A very simple example, When the Ford Fusion came out, it was literally crushed by the media. Everone went gaga over how expensive it was and how unsuitable it was for our country. But if you look at it, It was the ideal hatch for our country. Big in dimensions, huge leg room, hug boot, powerful engines etc. But the only think that was ever projected was the price. Same in the case of the Optra SRV. It was lovely to look at, Bigger than most of its competitors, decent engines for the segment and as comfortable as a 10 lakh Optra. But again the main thing projected here was the price!, everything else was ignored! And when Honda came out with Jazz, if you read the initial reviews, they said it was a bit expensive, but "you have to pay the premuim for the 'H' badge!" But then again, I am not against the Jazz (I have even booked one). Its just the logic that I am not able understand. Most of the buyers these days are educated and do a lot of research before their put in their hard earned money. And somewhere or the other, their choices are going to be influenced by the media (me included). It is very important, therefore to be neutral. Let them not pick a winner, they can just put down their ratings as per the features and let the people decide what is important to them. The entire 'Hot Hatch' scene has disappeared, with all companies coming out with puny engines and smaller cars. Every manufacturer is skeptical about bring larger and powerful hatches in our country and in this case, it would be a long way before we see the GTIs, Focusses and other turbo-charged hatches in India!
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:35   #718
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, one of the most underrated cars in the country today is the SX4, esp the Petrol ZXi. this car is simply awesome, be it space, engine, ride, dynamics but is let down by the brand.

I have owned one for three years and love driving it every day, way more than my scorpio, which is just 5 months old!
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:53   #719
Team-BHP Support

The SX4, from what I've heard and read, is not very dynamically sound. This can be attributed to the tall-boy stance that results in body-roll. Not sure about its brakes, but an acquaintance who owns one has said that it could be better. Build-quality could have been better too.

But in many ways, it's the perfect sedan for India.The high ground-clearance allows you to glide over rough roads, right past the Civic that's crawling over a pot-hole.

I don't think it's an underrated car though. Neither is it overrated.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:16   #720
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I don't think it's an underrated car though. Neither is it overrated.
I agree. I think the car is getting its due for what it is.

And to add on, I feel this thread is getting a bit pointless. Most of the opinions are based on brand affinities IMHO. For e.g.; Mr.X hates Vento, but it’s doing good numbers. So that goes in his Overrated category. And he loves the Honda CR-V, but not selling at all – Candidate for Underrated car.

Normally if a car does not sell, it’s because of low rating in different parameters. It could be because either the product is not good, priced out of the segment, or dealer/service related issues. For me, an underrated car will be something which is really good, have all the qualities demanded by the segment, but just not selling well. Normally these underrated cars will have a cult fan-following, especially after it dies off. From that point every other person will say only good things about that car. So much that it makes you wonder why this car did not sell well when it was alive. For e.g.; Ford Fusion.

In comparison, overrated numbers are easy to find
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks