Ford Ecosport

Under-rated:

Suzuki Ertiga (at least on this forum)
Nissan Sunny
Skoda Laura
Old 13th May 2012, 09:10   #752
Team-BHP Support

Re: The most over & under rated car in India

Thw world doesn't start & end with the Cars you own, so give them a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
over-rated : i20,eon(nothing in the car xcpt ovr da top stupid looks along with a high price tag for the value these two offer
Punto: God knws whats so great to go ga ga ovr it..yeah da front looks classy but the rear is like a closed chest(add to tht the exorbitant price nd fiat A.S.S, they hve sparatd frm tata too).
A Car is over/under rated because it looks good/average?

Sir, your fundamentals have gone horribly wrong.

Quote:
Under-rated : has to b the A-star.Even team-bhp spoiled its image with no genuine official review but a very partial user one...just gve it a shot and check it yourself before finalising da k10/wagonR/beat/spark/i10.
Before crying hoarse, I hope you would have gone through the forum & checked.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...road-test.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Here goes my list.

Over-rated:

Ford Figo
It is just so dated, isn't it?
Quote:
Toyota Innova
Which other people carrier comes to your mind at that price?
Quote:
Ford Ecosport
It isn't even launched and it seems, few have already over-rated it *face-palm*

Quote:
Suzuki Ertiga (at least on this forum)
An accusation again?

Last edited by Sheel : 13th May 2012 at 09:11.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 09:27   #753
BHPian

Underrated : skoda fabia, ford fusion, new ford fiesta, most underrated is skoda yeti, honda jazz & brio, toyota camry,
Overrated : slightly overrated is vw polo, new and old swift, scorpio, xuv500, honda city, toyota corolla, honda accord

I don't know why people said ford ecosport as being overrated, it has not even been launched, hence its not rated even, then how can one say that its overrated or underrated.
Old 13th May 2012, 13:23   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

A Car is over/under rated because it looks good/average?

Sir, your fundamentals have gone horribly wrong.
Check carefully, the looks has been quoted as one of the reasons why they are over-rated and not the cause, masking the flaws with over the top looks(not to my taste) which many buy in is what I meant. These cars are underpowered(my opinion again from test drives), expensive to maintain(my neighbor has an i20) and are priced more than what they should be, but still are everywhere in the market. Thus, over-rated.

Sorry Sir, for not being explicit(was online through mobile).

Quote:
Before crying hoarse, I hope you would have gone through the forum & checked.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...road-test.html
That's the review for the auto gearbox one.The thread that comes up first when you search A-star in the forum is:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...est-drive.html

This one is quite bare bones controversial review. Anyway, its a user one and as the disclaimer says the user is always free to express his/her own opinion, so no complaints against the writer of the review, but Team Bhp could have atleast posted an official review after the face lifted version came out.
The car is good from my personal experience('my world starts and ends with it') with decent space,mileage,looks etc etc but still its not seen much on road. Hence under-rated.

Quote:
An accusation again?
Its called opinion not accusation. Difference in opinion is not defined as accusation. Sir, get your fundamentals right.
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 19:17   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ saion666 :

I respect your personal opinions, BUT to understand why people are so "ga-ga" over a Punto as you say, take the car on the highways and to some nice ghats or twisty roads and then answer the following -

For that price -
1) Which hatchback gives you that planted feel at 160 kmph?
2) Which hatchback gives you that cushioning ride?
3) Which hatchback gives you that taut and precise handling?
4) Which hatchback gives you that superb steering feel?
5) Which hatchback gives you that surefooted braking?

I am not even considering the features or the safety ratings of the car. My experience with FIAT's A.S.S. has been good.

I am not sure, but I guess you must have driven the Punto in city and must have felt it is quite ponderous compared to other lighter hatches. Do the above and it MAY change your opinion.

And do read my signature!
I think the Figo comes close, and its definitely easier in the city than the Punto. For most people who buy a car(especially hatches) service and resale value matters. If people made decisions made on the basis of "ride and handling", Punto & Figo would be selling as much as the top selling Marutis. Unfortunately, this is not so. The Punto is an excellent car so are others (based on what you are looking for in a car). In my opinion Punto is over-rated by the owners and under-rated by the others.
Old 13th May 2012, 20:26   #756
BHPian

I think the punto is an amazing car and is underrated here. All fiats are generally good but the service backup and resale seems to be the main reasons people dont want to own a fiat. The mitsubishi cedia is also an extremely underrated car. The fact that the cedia's are the fovourite cars for rallying in India says a lot. Now with the reduced price its definetely worth it. The issue again is the resale though.

I feel the polo and vento are highly overrated. This is just my personal opinion. I am sure lot of people would have a different view. I found the engines of both the cars very rough and not that it has too many features to woo the customer either. The fact that it is a VW seems to be its main selling point. I do agree that the quality of the interiors is very good though.
Old 13th May 2012, 22:16   #757
BHPian

Most Overrated :- Perhaps Hyundai Verna. After all, the core function of a car is to transport. With the ride being so bumpy, how long will the (amazing, I dare say!) looks sustain the drivers interest? Besides, from what i can gather from the current owners across this forum, the features of this beast ultimately wear off the magic it initially delivers. But then, to each his own.

Most Uderrated :- Honda City maybe. why the sales figures are doing a roller coaster is still unknown. some say the looks are dated: with so many changes over the years? maybe we've got used to something new from Honda City ever so frequently. the new feature laden MID and Speedo Console (Blue Tinged) adds a new touch in the vehicle.

The again, that's what I feel .
Old 14th May 2012, 14:22   #758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Check carefully, the looks has been quoted as one of the reasons why they are over-rated and not the cause, masking the flaws with over the top looks(not to my taste) which many buy in is what I meant. These cars are underpowered(my opinion again from test drives), expensive to maintain(my neighbor has an i20) and are priced more than what they should be, but still are everywhere in the market. Thus, over-rated.
What is expensive about the i20? Did your neighbor share details of his/her expense of i20 with you? And based on one ownership alone you have decided to term it expensive...?

Quote:
That's the review for the auto gearbox one.The thread that comes up first when you search A-star in the forum is:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...est-drive.html

This one is quite bare bones controversial review. Anyway, its a user one and as the disclaimer says the user is always free to express his/her own opinion, so no complaints against the writer of the review, but Team Bhp could have atleast posted an official review after the face lifted version came out.
The car is good from my personal experience('my world starts and ends with it') with decent space,mileage,looks etc etc but still its not seen much on road. Hence under-rated.
When did A-Star's face-lifted version come out? I am sorry, but I didn't see it or MUL didn't promote it well enough to be noticed or was it too subtle?

Team-BHP has posted an Official Review of an Auto A-Star and Team-BHP posts an Official Review as and when the time, opportunity presents itself.

I do agree that A-Star is under-rated & I personally rank it better (as a driver's Car) over its immediate competition in that price range.

Quote:

Its called opinion not accusation. Difference in opinion is not defined as accusation. Sir, get your fundamentals right.
I wasn't asking about your opinion, but rather of someone else. Hope I am loud & clear as the said gent is over rating Storme & Eco-Sport which aren't yet out and under-rating Ertiga which has just been out. On what basis are they over-rated & under-rated?

Hope I am loud & clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Definitely. The Figo comes close but as far as I have driven it, at highway speeds, it does feel underpowered when compared to the Punto. Even the ride and handling is close, but still not up there. Yes, the Figo does feel peppier in the city and is much cheaper too. Anyways, I will leave this Figo v/s Punto debate to some other thread.
The handling are evens. The Figo is on 175 section 14" whereas GP is on 195 15". The ride not so. The GP has better & more absorbent ride.

Quote:
But does that make that car overrated? How? Why?
A Swift sells because it is good and is ably supported by its wide dealer network.

In my state there are more than 20 sales outlet for MUL, but just one for Renault, Toyota, Ford & a couple of others so you can understand their dwindling nos.

Now if a product from MUL doesn't sell, there has to be a solid reason for it. How would you expect the cheesy Estilo outselling an A-Star?

Most over-rate, under-rate a Car based on their love for their own Car.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 20:43   #759
Senior - BHPian

My List goes here:

Overrated:

1) Hyundai AN Verna- Overrated and yet one of the worst steering feedback cars in the north of Rs. 1 mil.

2) Hyundai i-20- No reason why some one is gaga for this car. yet it sells like hot cakes.

3) Honda City-Admitted, the engine is a gem. But after that??

4) Ford Fiesta- All show and no go. Plus the "killing" price tag.

5) Toyota Etios- Why treat Indians like this? Is it only the cost or any other reason. It sells but only because of the brand. Poor quality interiors, a drastically misplaced speedo console and now boasts of a Taxi image.

Underrated:

1) Mahindra Verito- People may laugh at me, but this is a true work horse with a fantastic engine.

2) Ford Fiesta Classic- What drive ability and somehow still looks better than the new Fiesta.

3) Fiat-Both Punto and Linea- Both should have been selling atleast thrice the existing sales figures. If only they were not borne out of the "illegitimate" FIAT!!

Last edited by arnabchak : 14th May 2012 at 20:50.
Old 14th May 2012, 21:22   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Hyundai i-20- No reason why some one is gaga for this car. yet it sells like hot cakes.
Apart from the driveability & price - it has the looks , features , powerful Diesel engine and quite spacious too.

Quote:
Honda City-Admitted, the engine is a gem. But after that??
The space , the FE , the looks and the A.S.S. It has been leading petrol sedan for years !

Quote:
Underrated:Ford Fiesta Classic- What drive ability and somehow still looks better than the new Fiesta.
I dont think the Fiesta Classic is under rated. It did reasonably well in the market and it has more fans than the New Fiesta !

Last edited by karanraheja : 14th May 2012 at 21:23.
Old 16th May 2012, 09:41   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
The space , the FE , the looks and the A.S.S. It has been leading petrol sedan for years !
@Karanraheja: While I agree with your view on space, the FE is mainly because of the cars unladen weight. Honda makes their CITY variant noticeably lighter than the rest (including Korean - correct me if am wrong please) of the competition. As for A.S.S, I dont know what they do in your location, but in Bangalore, it is well below par. It may be trivial, but filling Nitrogen in car with a claim saying Honda runs best on nitrogen filled tyres and charging me 150 bucks for it, without getting my consent is rubbish! I would agree with the engine and the space. But then, its more of a snob value to own a Honda. We struggle with the ground clearance for ever with any Honda, including their CRV. Just shows they have not understood our road conditions.

Overrated - imo:
1. new Volkswagen Jetta
-- top end variant on-road in Bangalore is ~INR 23,00,000 and still lacks basic equipment that a SWIFT comes with - climate control. Some cars in this segment offer sun-roofs, bluetooth enabled audio, smart key and a full size spare. The latest review in one of the leading auto magainzes in India rates this car as 'their choice' in the premium diesel sedan shoot out! Plus, in Bangalore there is a waiting period on these cars! Why - is it for the badge, or the pedigree, or the build and ride factors alone?

Last edited by Samurai : 16th May 2012 at 10:09. Reason: back-to-back post
Old 16th May 2012, 11:31   #762
BHPian

underrated:
Chevy optra magnum
Fiat punto
Skoda yeti

Overrated:
New jetta
ANHC
New Fluidic Verna
raj.barcode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 12:11   #763
BHPian

As on date, my viewpoint -

Over-Rated:

1) VW Polo TDi - Has neither the performance nor the price going for it.

2) A4 1.8 TFSi - The last gen (160 BHP, 250Nm), for 31L OTR makes no sense, Laura with the same engine is available for half the price.

3) Hyundai EON - Why buy the 3 pot when the 4 pot is available for 30K more.

4) Swift Zdi/Zxi - Sheer overpricing, nothing more.

5) Vento TDi (Highline) - Too too overpriced, as 12L OTR, person can look elsewhere.

6) Toyota VX and VXD - Too overpriced for the specs and quality of material used (inside out).

7) Hyundai Verna - Too overpriced, offers nothing more than mere gizmos at an exorbitant price.

Under - Rated:

1) Optra Magnum - It offers performance and build.

2) Laura TSi - Mind Boggling power @ 13L OTR.

3) Fiesta Classic 1.6 Lxi - @ 6L OTR, this is the best petrol car that you can get for the price, max bang for your buck.

4) S60 - T6 Summum - 38L OTR, 304BHP, 44.8 Kgm, do I need say more.

Last edited by Torquedo : 16th May 2012 at 12:14.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:22   #764
Senior - BHPian

Would you rate the XC60 also as amongst the more under-rated cars right now in India?
I think it certainly deserves a place there along with the Yeti and so on.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:49   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Would you rate the XC60 also as amongst the more under-rated cars right now in India?
I think it certainly deserves a place there along with the Yeti and so on.
Shankar - I assume this was asked to me? Anyways my response -

Yeti - As a product (quality inside/out, 4WD, 140 HP) is hard to beat. The problem that we have is, the pricing.

I remember having seen the Yeti in flesh for the first time at the Auto Expo in 2010 and drooled over it, a 12-13L pricing with a max of 14L OTR and this would have killed the market by now. No one would be looking at the Duster, the Eco Sport now the Trax, Mokka and stuff.

The problem with Yeti as I mentioned is the pricing, with a tag of 20+L OTR on the 4X4 Elegance, you have options to look elsewhere, a sweet deal on the Nissan X-Trail might come in handy, boy it has a brilliant Diesel there, for some reason I cannot compare the XUV500 with the Yeti, the Yeti is leagues ahead in everything other than space on the 500 and that is what we Indians look at while buying a car, I at times suggest people to move into a bigger house when they ask me stupid questions on the space part.

Safari @ 8.75L OTR is indeed a good buy for me any day.

Force 1, if you manage a deal @ 11.5 OTR is another deal, it's got a Mercedes heart to it at the end of the day.

Now the XC60 (2.4L , 205 HP, 42.8 Kgm) - OTR ~ 45-50L

Contenders -

1) Montero - Similar pricing, sweet deal can help.
2) RR Evoque Pure - Brand it what you get at a similar price.
3) X3 30d - Better specs.

Basically on the XC60 part, with that kinda moolah you have a world of options to explore, moreso, if you can look beyond SUV's with the same cash, that A4 3.0 TDi is hell of a machine.

The point I was trying to drive home is don't buy an SUV for the SPACE, buy it if you can use the AWD and I assume people looking at the XC or the Evoque are no mudpluggers.

Happy Motoring !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks