Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2011, 15:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Case for All India Registration

I agree completely that the lifetime tax should be taken out. The tax instead should be collected on an yearly, all-India basis, with an option to pay tax in any state. Let the registration number remain, but update the address as it changes, and put all the road taxes into a collective. Let each state draw its funds from the collective as needed. Form a whole new company for the upkeep of roads all over India, ensuring good roads wherever you travel in the country.
Old 14th July 2011, 14:48   #47
BHPian

Haven't read through the entire thread, but like some have already suggested, let's bring back the Annual Road Tax system! Let's have a sticker like we have for PUC for Road Tax.
Cops anyway ask for "License, Registration, Insurance, PUC" whenever stopping vehicles, so an Annual Road Tax system shouldn't be much problem here. Allowing private-run PUC check points helped make it a non-cumbersome process. Doing the same with Road Tax should reduce the load on the govt. and its people.

Can we have a poll?
Old 14th July 2011, 15:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

There are merits but I do not think states will give up the opportunity to set life tax, quarterly tax and various other taxes which are fund - generating.

If at all we can hope anything from it, we can just pray for unified tax structure ( not for the personal registered vehicles) for taxi vehicles. There are huge disparities among southern states regarding the amount per seat for maxi cabs. Such differences should be addressed first.
Old 11th February 2014, 14:45   #49
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread. Posting the resolution which was passed in Oct last year during the 35th Meeting of Transport Development Council (TDC) -

"The meeting was attended by State Transport Ministers, Lieutenant Governors of States / UTs & Principal Secretary (Transport) / Transport Commissioners of all the States / UTs and also by two Ministers of State, Senior Officers and other stake holders apart from Ministry of Road Transport and Highways officers. Here is the resolution passed in the meeting.

“Keeping in view objective of growth in tax, free movement of vehicle across the country, to avoid interstate trade diversion, for hassle-free process, to facilitate public transport with focus on bus transport, to lower collection and compliance cost and to ensure road safety and least pollution, it is resolved hereby as follows :-

On cars and LMV, on interstate movement of vehicles.

- Full tax in new state will be levied if vehicle is less than 2 year old with refund from original state.

- Tax will be levied on luxury car / LMV (having sale price of Rs. 10 Lakhs or more) at a discounted rate depending on age of car with refund from original state.

- Refund and tax calculation structure will be common across the states with suitable common discount rates"

More details on this - http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=100216

I believe it was to go live from April 2014. But with the general elections around the corner, I wonder if this will ever see daylight!
aajohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 14:53   #50
Senior - BHPian

The states should themselves adjust the refund amount and we should pay the difference amount.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 15:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
On cars and LMV, on interstate movement of vehicles.

- Full tax in new state will be levied if vehicle is less than 2 year old with refund from original state.

- Tax will be levied on luxury car / LMV (having sale price of Rs. 10 Lakhs or more) at a discounted rate depending on age of car with refund from original state.

- Refund and tax calculation structure will be common across the states with suitable common discount rates"

I believe it was to go live from April 2014. But with the general elections around the corner, I wonder if this will ever see daylight!
Very well intentioned, but I think they all knew that electios are in April-May 2014 so this is no more than intent. I see no issues with using the computer network with all RTOs and then taking care of the incremental taxation. Refund is a joke, hardly ever happens.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks