Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 6th April 2016, 10:29   #121
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Guide: First-time car ownership in the USA

Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Received my plates today after about 3 weeks. In Texas, it's only one sticker for registration. This yearly registration thing is intriguing. Perhaps a way for the DMV to make money. But see tons of cars with outdated stickers.
Yes, I remember the stickers as well. I'm not sure any more whether it was yearly? i seem to recall you could get longer periods as well?

You could get fined if your car registration plate did not have one. So they often got stolen! happened to me, never noticed until cop pulled me over.

MO introduced special security tabs as they called it which were more difficult to peel off.

Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 20:25   #122

Folks, looking for some advice on car financing. I financed my Accord in Feb for a 4% 66 month loan through a CU arranged by company. I did not have a credit rating at that time so went with this option.

Now, my credit scores have started appearing and my scores are all in the 700-720 range across agencies. Should I refinance or wait for a few more months to push up the score even more? I am hoping to get something close to the 2% rate, need your inputs on whether this is realistic or a pipe dream for now.
guha_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 20:49   #123

@guha_2001, in the US almost anything can be negotiated...to use the colloquial term, you can always get "a deal". Try asking the finance company to lower the interest based on your new credit rating. It might just work.
kotirajendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 21:04   #124
Default Buying a car unseen in the USA

This post is to share experience of buying a car long distance.Since my Acura lease was coming to an end - I was looking at a sporty car. I had enough of luxury for 3 years and I decided I would go sporty this time.

The last 3 contenders were

1, Mustang GT
2, Camaro SS
3, Jeep Wrangler
4, WRX Sti

I'm not going into pros and cons of each vehicle. I'm going to point out the process by which I found the cheapest price for each of the cars.

joined http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/ for the mustang. Looked at all the purchase and ordering threads. Found that the cheapest price was offered by a dealership called Koons In Baltimore. They even refund your flight tickets - if you are flying in to buy the car.

link to Koons. I also found that koons is also the cheapest for the Wrangler too. Chcek out their inventory online - the prices are crazy.

Anyway I decided to go with WRX Sti. I applied the same process in a different forum --- www.nasoic.com. the dealer preferred in that forum was Heuberger , Colorado. I talked to the internet salesman and his price + shipping was much lesser than cars around Detroit. Placed an order with him.

In 2 months the car arrived. They did the financing and threw me a great deal. they overnighted the paperwork to sign and included a return overnight envelope. Once they got the paperwork - they called their preferred shipper and the shipper delivered to me in a week.

It is amazing to see that most of the big dealer car salesmen are on the forum. Any issues you bring up are seen by the forum members and they are brought to a speedy resolution. Any bad remark against the dealer/ salesmen on the forum brings down a lot of internet business.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote