Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:07   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2012 F1 - German Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Lewis was lapping 0.7 secs faster than Vettel at the time he overtook Vettel. A lapped car has every right to unlap itself and Lewis did nothing to impede Vettel's progress. It was only Vettel's ego!

I am still surprised when Alonso was holding up a bloody quick Lewis in that Mclaren and used Lewis's car to his advantage and was also staying away from the DRS zone when Button was chasing him. Mclarens were clearly the faster car and the asturian did everything to keep the Ferrari ahead of them. I am happy that Alonso has a comfortable lead with the points going into the 2nd half of the season.
Oh yes, I did not feel that Lewis did anything wrong there. And yes, it was quite a treat to watch Alonso holding up to the charging McLaren.

Look at the last line of this article. Even Horner hinted that Hamilton was trying to help his team-mate
BBC Sport - German GP: Sebastian Vettel calls Lewis Hamilton stupid
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lewis was lapping 0.7 secs faster than Vettel at the time he overtook Vettel. A lapped car has every right to unlap itself and Lewis did nothing to impede Vettel's progress. It was only Vettel's ego!
Agree with you completely , it was Vettel's frustration - yet again it was proven that the Red Bulls can't negotiate traffic well , they are most comfy when leading from the front.

Quote:
I am still surprised when Alonso was holding up a bloody quick Lewis in that Mclaren and used Lewis's car to his advantage and was also staying away from the DRS zone when Button was chasing him. Mclarens were clearly the faster car and the asturian did everything to keep the Ferrari ahead of them. I am happy that Alonso has a comfortable lead with the points going into the 2nd half of the season.

A major aero upgrade coming on the Ferrari in Spa, I hope they will stay and fight in front of the grid! Until then, its Mclaren with the fastest car going to Hungary
I am pretty amazed at the performance of the Ferrari , unexpected ! Its not for nothing that Alonso is considered the best driver on the grid.
I would tend to disagree that the Mclaren's are the fastest car .. Alonso comfortably kept Button out of the DRS zone , Button was only able to close down the gap when he had the advanatage of DRS and Alonso did not have the same ( being the lead car with no car ahead of him ) . Hammy was faster than Alonso since his tyres were fresh , otherwise like to like Ferrari's race pace was better. What was apparent was that the Mclaren's are facing the tyre performance issue ( performance cliff) worse that Ferrari and Red Bulls and that should have them worried
I tend to disagree that
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

It is quite amazing that a car which was written off at the beginning of the season as an also ran is today leading the championship. The commentators used to attribute whatever they did to the driver.
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Oh yes, I did not feel that Lewis did anything wrong there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Agree with you completely , it was Vettel's frustration
Lewis was faster but his overtaking maneuver did cost Vettel more than a few tenths. He did not have the optimum line through turn 7 (he had to tug behind Hami) and had to follow around in his dirty air for some more. Which is also why Alonso did not let Hamilton through.

Whether this was against rules or not - I don't know. But he was definitely impeded. And I too feel that it probably helped Button jump Vettel in pits.

BTW, BBC headlining the 'stupid' remark from Vettel seems sensational. IMO, he called the move 'stupid' and not Hamilton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is quite amazing that a car which was written off at the beginning of the season as an also ran is today leading the championship. The commentators used to attribute whatever they did to the driver.
I would put that as pure Alonso magic. Simply brilliant!

Last edited by asr245 : 23rd July 2012 at 14:39.
Old 23rd July 2012, 15:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Fantastic race. Vettel's penalty though sad, was expected. What bugged me is that the man who caused all the mayhem 'Hamilton' got away scot free.
Hamilton didn't cause any mayhem. He was faster at that point and had every right to unlap himself.

For me the highlight of the race is resurgence of Button and the way Kimi drove. For a change Lotus pitted Kimi early this time, and he got the benefit of undercut. Probably the first time Lotus got it right.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 23rd July 2012 at 15:37.
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:06   #36
F50
Senior - BHPian

A great race! Alonso drove really well. Though Ferrari weren't the fastest of the front runners but yes its purely Alonso magic. He managed the car really well and strategy to the point even though he was constantly followed throughout the race.

Special mention of the Saubers and Kimi. I really didn't expect them stay in top 7 for long. Perez drove extremely well and Kobayashi managed his tires well (strange )

Hot climate helps Lotus and works against Mercedes. Sad to see Schumi fall back and 3-stop strategy didn't help either. Consolation price of fastest lap goes to Michael but that really does nothing.

Hungary's qualifying should be interesting as the track characteristics is similar to Monaco. It could be a boring race unless it rains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Michael did this to Trulli many years ago at the same corner.. it was just about acceptable back then.
Not anymore
No Hatari brother, Michael was behind Trulli when he was on the run-off area and overtook when he re-joined the track.

Quote:

I am still surprised when Alonso was holding up a bloody quick Lewis in that Mclaren and used Lewis's car to his advantage and was also staying away from the DRS zone when Button was chasing him. Mclarens were clearly the faster car and the asturian did everything to keep the Ferrari ahead of them.
Oh yeah! Ferrari came to Hockenheim with a good straight-line speed. Mclarens were very quick using DRS, touching 318 km/h whereas Ferrari using bit of KERS touched 302 km/h. Alonso used half of the KERS in the Mercedes Arena and thereafter, this helped him a lot to stay ahead of Red Bulls and Button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Lewis was faster but his overtaking maneuver did cost Vettel more than a few tenths. He did not have the optimum line through turn 7 (he had to tug behind Hami) and had to follow around in his dirty air for some more. Which is also why Alonso did not let Hamilton through.

Whether this was against rules or not - I don't know. But he was definitely impeded. And I too feel that it probably helped Button jump Vettel in pits.
Unlapping is not against the rules, however leaders' race shouldn't be ruined, its not in the rules but its common sense. Usually I never support Lewis but he was not at fault.

Incident helped Button gain few seconds and frustrated Vettel. Team will never radio in such situation (due to team orders) but drivers are smart enough to understand the situation and act in a manner which will benefit the team.
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Unlapping is not against the rules, however leaders' race shouldn't be ruined, its not in the rules but its common sense. Usually I never support Lewis but he was not at fault.
Well, I don't care what happens to either Lewis or Vettel but I do feel Vettel was impeded. Whether he was at fault or not, I don't know.

Quote:
Incident helped Button gain few seconds and frustrated Vettel. Team will never radio in such situation (due to team orders) but drivers are smart enough to understand the situation and act in a manner which will benefit the team.
Teams orders are allowed though they will never say "impede him for your team-mate". But he was reminded (over radio - while following Vettel) that Jenson was catching up and he has to be careful of not impeding Jenson.
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

And Vettel over running the kerb has cost him a drive through penalty getting Kimi a virtual podium.

Awesome drive by Alonso though! Good to see the scarlet prancing horse showing up in the front. Massa is a terrible let down though!
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:02   #39
mgh
BHPian

Alonso is on a roll. Last three races, 1st,2nd, and 1st.

Saludo!
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:12   #40
BHPian

Again and again and yet again, I am disappointed to see the race strategy for SFI going from bad to worse! Very good starting grid positions for both cars, decent pace, but what a pathetic strategy! SFI should really revamp their strategy otherwise it is just going to be an "also ran" team end of season.

Every race, I root for SFI, every race, I come away disappointed. When will this change? or more importantly, CAN this change?
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Well, I don't care what happens to either Lewis or Vettel but I do feel Vettel was impeded. Whether he was at fault or not, I don't know.
Lapped cars doesnt mean that they will run with their tails between their legs. Hamilton had the fastest car in the race, fighting for positions with Massa and also fighting for the championship. He had every right to overtake the slower cars and do his own racing and he did go on his own course. Vettel should have handled it well like how Alonso did...

Showing off the fist and going public accusing other drivers wont get you any points, he should have done much more than that!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:30   #42
mgh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Again and again and yet again, I am disappointed to see the race strategy for SFI going from bad to worse! Very good starting grid positions for both cars, decent pace, but what a pathetic strategy! SFI should really revamp their strategy otherwise it is just going to be an "also ran" team end of season.

Every race, I root for SFI, every race, I come away disappointed. When will this change? or more importantly, CAN this change?
Problem with SFI has always been managing the tyres, right frrom the Bridgestone days.
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

Some awesome overtaking that I missed on TV

The ICEMAN and the 7 Star doing it in style!

Old 23rd July 2012, 19:58   #44
BHPian

Alonso, the best driver in the current lineup! No wonder. Simply brilliant!
Massa.. the less said the better.

I really wished Schumi had scored better points. Hoping he will get to the top podium atleast once this season!
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Hatari brother, Michael was behind Trulli when he was on the run-off area and overtook when he re-joined the track.
If a driver gains any advantage whatsoever, it is deemed illegal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks