Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:58   #1

Followed the herd! Damn! I am stuck in a wrong profession!

Hello to my fellow BHPians! Special hello to the moderators! Special because they are the ones who'll decide whether this post stays or goes. Am I good in buttering or what!
I am a software professional who just can't overcome the desire of being a car designer. Though I feel lucky that my office is next to the Autopsyche workshop at Gurgaon. I kept drooling over the meanly modded machines that Arush keeps at display at times. Big fan of Arush's work.
Now I wish, if I had not followed the herd and pursued automobile engineering instead of IT, I would have been happier and better placed. "3 idiots" effect, I guess! Completed 30 years already and I don't want to age further just wishing and dreaming of being a car crazy. Arush, the Autopsyche, are you listening? I am good learner and a bit creative as well. Is there a minutest of possibility that a guy like me can be a good car designer? I can only hope so.
Since I joined Tbhp, there is not a single day when I haven't opened the portal. Daily without fail I go through the updates. Needless to say Modifications & Accessories section is my favorite.
Just curios to know, who is the father of Team-bhp? My heart felt salutes to him!
Old 2nd March 2012, 14:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Followed the herd! Damn! I am stuck in a wrong profession!

This is tough one, surely a tough one.

How can i tell you that you would be a good car designer, and even if you are good how can i tell you that you would successful because it needs more then being good to be successful.

How can i tell you that you should leave a decently well paying job (where ever that is), which has a decent future and jump into unknown. I don't know you well enough.
  • Are you the one who has fallen multiple times and every time has gotten up to face new falls the world has to offer? and consider the falls as a source of joy rather then pain because every fall teaches you something.
  • Are you courageous to the level of insane to destroy everything that you made and start all over again just to see a different result, or to follow different passion?
Some random thoughts to get you thinking, as no one on an online forum can do justice to what you are asking. Not to suggest its not possible, neither to suggest its a walk in the park. So its time for you to introspect and figure this out all by yourself, and no one (not even family) can help you here. Its time for you to have a 1:1 with yourself. All the best.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 2nd March 2012 at 14:05.
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:42   #3

First of all, many thanks for a noble reply. Earlier I had a feeling that people might not take me seriously here.

Mayank, it's not that this thought crawled into my mind this morning and I just carelessly jot it down in this post. The thought process is running since quite some time now. I've devoted much time introspecting the pros and cons. The way I evaluated it, it's worth taking the risk.

Forget about success, I myself don't know if I'll be successful or not. What I know for sure is that I'll be a happier person if I pursue this. Yes, my current job has it's own charm and perks but it don't get the satisfaction I long for. I understand that the road I am planning to walk on may lead to a dead end. But at that moment, I won't regret this decision of mine even if I ruin everything that I've built over the years. I'll keep my spirit and determination up to take me forward from there. I'll find a way out.
Without any experience, armed with limited or absolutely no skills, I know it isn't going to be a cake walk for me. But I can rely on my potential and wisdom to sail through. If I won't show the courage now, I won't be able to do it and I don't want to die repenting why I didn't follow my dream.

It may sound irrational, illogical and entirely insane but my heart says "Yes, I am prepared to face anything that shows up." I am ready to bear the pain, learn and learn hard. May be I am crazy but that's how I am.

In short, I possess the 'will'. I am just looking for a 'way'! Help me find that way.
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetnay View Post
Hello to my fellow BHPians! Special hello to the moderators! Special because they are the ones who'll decide whether this post stays or goes. Am I good in buttering or what!
I am a software professional who just can't overcome the desire of being a car designer. Though I feel lucky that my office is next to the Autopsyche workshop at Gurgaon. I kept drooling over the meanly modded machines that Arush keeps at display at times. Big fan of Arush's work.
Now I wish, if I had not followed the herd and pursued automobile engineering instead of IT, I would have been happier and better placed. "3 idiots" effect, I guess! Completed 30 years already and I don't want to age further just wishing and dreaming of being a car crazy. Arush, the Autopsyche, are you listening? I am good learner and a bit creative as well. Is there a minutest of possibility that a guy like me can be a good car designer? I can only hope so.
Since I joined Tbhp, there is not a single day when I haven't opened the portal. Daily without fail I go through the updates. Needless to say Modifications & Accessories section is my favorite.
Just curios to know, who is the father of Team-bhp? My heart felt salutes to him!

First - Welcome to this wonderful forum.

Secondly, I completely understand your feelings about pursuing 'car designing'. I know you will love to quit your current job and do this as a full time thing however there are many pitfalls. Yes, your latest post tells me you are ready to face anything but still, please give a thought to what I am saying now.

Start by learning about the art. Drawing schools (weekends) can be a help. Cars are designed on paper in almost 3D, you will have to learn the process of perspective drawing and stuff. Give yourself a year to do this. You will not learn to design a car but this will give you the 'artistic' training you will need. Then start doodling your designs in 3D and move on to using computers for drawings.

Next, create modified designs of existing cars and show them to your friends saying 'A friend made these what are your comments'. This will help you to get the outside perspective and you can improve your drawings. Next, buy a cheap car (as cheap as possible) and make a redesign. Go to a fabricator with a CnC machine with your drawings. He can make the shapes you need. Create this car as your first 'model'. Shoot a portfolio. Offer to redesign cars for a few friends. Once you have this initial base you are set to Psyche the Auto world!
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

hi Puneet, Welcome !

And I suspect you are not alone, by a big margin . So what's plan B ? continue to work, so you get the b&b, and then splurge on where your heart is !!

Hope you enjoy your journey here. Have fun !
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to quit your current profession and become a brilliant auto designer. Sure, it can be done. The question is not is it possible, but what needs to be done to get there and how far are you willing to go for this.

At the age of 30, if you are not married, it will definitely be easier but do understand that by the time you are financially set as a designer, you will be at the stage where your parents will be pressurising you regularly to get married. Do you or can you wait till say 40 to get married.

Who will finance your time between now and getting a decent income as a designer, especially assuming it may take a few years (including design school, working your way up from the shop floor etc.). If you are married will this affect your family life, especially if you have a child.

Do you have the necessary skills to be a good designer. Understand that this is not just a case of having the enthusiasm and even being able to visualise what you want to do, but having the skill to put this on paper or at least being able to explain to someone so clearly that they can put it onto paper for you. If not, half of this forum would be car designers

Would you be willing to go back to scratch in your present career or even another career if your attempt at being a designer failed. I say this because especially in IT, a couple of years can change a lot in terms of the coding language being used. You may not have to, but just asking the question.

If the answers to all these questions are such that you can attempt to become a designer, I say by all means go ahead and give it a shot. Good luck. Look forward to hearing more from you on this forum.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Puneet on getting the membership approved. It's a tough task I must say like clearing board and entrance exams.

Good to see guys from Delhi/Gurgaon/NCR joining the forum. You know we Delhiites are endangered species here.

Welcome and do go through forum rules for better experience. Do share about your rides!

PS - You joined in November 2010 and posting after so long?

Last edited by bluevolt : 2nd March 2012 at 19:01.
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you are really passionate about car design you can pursue a course in automobile design (either abroad, Indian design schools or even DC institute)
Old 2nd March 2012, 20:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

My opinion

Puneet, I understand where you come from. My reply to your post is straightforward, so do not take offense.

You would probably appreciate the reply, as it comes from someone who worked as a Automotive R&D Engineer for 4 years (right out of college) and is still in pursuit of a higher degree in a related field.

Quote:
I am a software professional who just can't overcome the desire of being a car designer.
By car designer what do you mean? By car designing are you interested in mods (fabricating parts and installing) or interested in the 'engineering' / technical scheme of things. I am not saying modification is a non-engineered way of doing things, they are completely different as chalk and cheese.

Having seen both sides of the coin, I will be able to comment better if you make your intentions clear, now.

Quote:
I kept drooling over the meanly modded machines that Arush keeps at display at times.
Drooling is good, even I drool looking at aircraft's as I have been hugely fascinated by them. But then, I have weighed my options, my strengths, weaknesses and found out that it is not a sound proposition for me. You must also do the same.

Quote:
I am good learner and a bit creative as well.
Why do you say that? What creativity have you done w.r.t cars? Any of your works, sketches, analysis which you can share here for our understanding?

Quote:
Is there a minutest of possibility that a guy like me can be a good car designer?
You are the best judge for this.

Quote:
The way I evaluated it, it's worth taking the risk.
Why do you say so?

Quote:
What I know for sure is that I'll be a happier person if I pursue this. Yes, my current job has it's own charm and perks but it don't get the satisfaction I long for. If I won't show the courage now, I won't be able to do it and I don't want to die repenting why I didn't follow my dream.
This I have to agree. My first and only boss in my previous company always told this to me - "Always do what you love, do not love what you do". I follow these words like a stickler.

Quote:
But I can rely on my potential and wisdom to sail through.
What are these? You must think and rationalize all options.

Quote:
In short, I possess the 'will'. I am just looking for a 'way'! Help me find that way.
Sure, we will find a way out. Don't worry.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum buddy..like you i wanted to do something related to automobiles but ended up being in IT. At 30 it may be a bit late for you to start at being a designer, but only you know what's best for you.

On the other hand if you decide to stick with the same profession there is no reason for you to give up your love for autombile designing.You could take it up as a hobby or a side project , something you do on weekends and stuff and still keep the comfort and secrity of your job.

Good luck in whatver you do .
Old 2nd March 2012, 22:22   #11
BHPian

Welcome to THE forum. It would be good if you can showcase some of your designs here. I am sure someone will take notice. I like car design too , just that I am not in the right place definitely not in the right time.
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:13   #12

Wow! Now that's some encouraging replies.
Quote:
Start by learning about the art. Drawing schools (weekends) can be a help. Cars are designed on paper in almost 3D, you will have to learn the process of perspective drawing and stuff. Give yourself a year to do this. You will not learn to design a car but this will give you the 'artistic' training you will need. Then start doodling your designs in 3D and move on to using computers for drawings.
Quote:
Why do you say that? What creativity have you done w.r.t cars? Any of your works, sketches, analysis which you can share here for our understanding?
Let me give my art background first. I've been good at sketching and painting. Bagged some good contests & competitions in my pocket during my school and college days. Though it's been quite a while now since I last touched my paint brushes and sketch pencils, damn those busy and tiring hours at office.
I used to sketch cars and bikes then. I wish I can find those sketch books so that I can showcase that work here. But yes, I agree I may need some professional training now. I'll find a weekend school for myself, any suggestions available here?
I'll get some new designs done at weekends. I'll showcase them soon.
I know a bit of AutoCAD as well. But that's for the later stage I guess. Let me correct my basics first.

Quote:
And I suspect you are not alone, by a big margin . So what's plan B ?
I haven't thought of it earlier. But now the plan A is to do this part time instead of full time job. Thanks to "sumeethaldankar" for his suggestion.

Quote:
Puneet, I understand where you come from. My reply to your post is straightforward, so do not take offense.
I appreciate straight forward answers. It helps in saving time. There is no confusion when it's clear and straight. Confusion wastes precious time. That's my belief.

Quote:
By car designer what do you mean? By car designing are you interested in mods (fabricating parts and installing) or interested in the 'engineering' / technical scheme of things. I am not saying modification is a non-engineered way of doing things, they are completely different as chalk and cheese.
I am interested in both. But I am bit inclined towards fabrication and installation part first.

Quote:
Why do you say so?
You only gave the answer to your question Spike.
Quote:
This I have to agree. My first and only boss in my previous company always told this to me - "Always do what you love, do not love what you do". I follow these words like a stickler.
Quote:
PS - You joined in November 2010 and posting after so long?
This is too difficult to answer. Maybe you'll perceive me to be a stupid fella if I answer this.
All this while I've remained a silent admirer. This time period is actually the time I took for self realizing. Earlier I felt that if I become hyperactive here then I may loose interest in my current job. But gradually the love for cars over powered anyway.

Quote:
Who will finance your time between now and getting a decent income as a designer, especially assuming it may take a few years (including design school, working your way up from the shop floor etc.). If you are married will this affect your family life, especially if you have a child.
Yes, I am married and good thing about it is that my wife is also earning decently. My complete family including my dad are supportive set of people. It's their encouraging belief that has given me the guts to try something different. I can rely on them for sure. But to begin with I'll pursue this as part time and once I get the hold, there won't be any stopping from there. Amen!

I hope I've answered all the questions here.
Now I am looking forward for some more encouragement once I am back with some of my creations soon. Many thanks for the replies!
Old 6th March 2012, 19:34   #13
Zed
BHPian

Welcome to T-BHP!

Since youve tried your hand at AutoCAD Id suggest this 3D software called blender (blender.org - Home). Its one of those 'lets screw the corporate' type thingys where a bunch of talented individuals get together & develop a tool that empowers the general public to do pretty much the same stuff that expensive licensed SW's ( AutoCAD, Solidworks etc) can - and then release it for free on the internet. The download is pretty straightforward and not very resource intensive. There are easy to follow tutorials on you tube & as you work your way through the basics you can download designs of your fav cars, bikes & trucks from theblueprints.com. These dwgs can be exported to blender and basically you can have the 3D model in place in a relatively short period of time. This is where the fun starts as you can start play around with the design, textures, colors, shadows and so on. While this may not be the answer you are looking for in terms of a change in career, its certainly a fun outlet to channel your creative impulse.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 10:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Welcome onboard puneet.

I' am not very different. I wanted to become a mechanic and open my own garage. And, I am not saying that for the heck of it. I actually spent a year working (Or rather helping) at a garage owned by a friend. I' am pretty sound with mechanicals too.

But, what I realised was that just being a mechanic at some garage does not bring in big bucks. And opening a decently equipped garage requires big bucks, sigh!

So, as destiny would have it, I had to settle for my second choice of profession. Advertising! But, that does not mean that I don't spend time at vehicles whenever I am free
Old 7th March 2012, 11:16   #15
BANNED

You are not alone buddy, but i am happy i did not follow the herd

From being a Electronics & Telecommunications guy to a Banking job to a Businessman (bankiing again) Plus a Classic car restorer, i've been there doing that.

And inspite of doing it, still not sure if its feasible not to follow the herd.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks