Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 16:33   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up

WOW ! An Alfa Romeo! Am sure it runs like a dream! Just some silly questions!

1. Does AR also exhibit the same characteristics of FIATs? That's straight line stability & the excellent ride - handling compromise?
2. Do those have the same tank-like build? And a FE of 23 kmpl on an automatic? (Hope they don't license this engine to Maruti; they will tweak this for a 30 kmpl in Swifts & SX4s.)

Congrats on the car & wish you miles of happy & safe motoring!

PS: Some pics of DRLs please!
Old 20th February 2012, 19:32   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
So, what can I say, I've always wanted an Alfa Romeo (not in the least because the first two letters in my name start with A and R!), and the Giulietta seemed like the logical choice.
I settled on a silver Giulietta
Congratulations Jeeper! First time seeing a Silver Giulietta, and it is indeed an Alfa in business wear. Very elegant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941
7. TCT (twin clutch transmission) gearbox - it is just so damn good. I don't feel the gear changes at all. It is completely seamless - one gear changes to the next without any jerks or anything.
Are they offering Giulietta with the Selespeed transmission as well? Or its not there in any of their models after the 159?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Am pretty close to getting a typical Fiat crimson coloured 165ps 2.0 MJD (same engine as the 1 on your car i think) Fiat Bravo myself and somehow looking at your ride makes me want to drive to the ranjangaon facility near Pune RIGHT NOW and get that baby out of their clutches.
If that Bravo is even half as desirable as this baby Alfa , i will be a very very happy man !
Congratulations !
A bit OT, but just curious to know. How did you manage to get hold of a Bravo? Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 21:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

A bit OT, but just curious to know. How did you manage to get hold of a Bravo? Thanks
We (my company) are in the middle of doing an extensive valuation assignment for Fiat India. One of the top honchos offered the car to my dad & he being a sucker for good cars fell for it. Its the only piece they have. Their MD ,Rajeev Kapoor isnt in the country at present so his return is awaited so whatever little formalities are there could get out of the way and we could get that baby home.
They were kind enough to send a few pics of the car (dad saw it in flesh but i havnt ) and boy does she look gorgeous !
165bhp / 360 NM 2 litre multijet diesel 6-speed manual.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 20th February 2012 at 21:11.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 01:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
WOW ! An Alfa Romeo! Am sure it runs like a dream! Just some silly questions!

1. Does AR also exhibit the same characteristics of FIATs? That's straight line stability & the excellent ride - handling compromise?
2. Do those have the same tank-like build? And a FE of 23 kmpl on an automatic? (Hope they don't license this engine to Maruti; they will tweak this for a 30 kmpl in Swifts & SX4s.)

Congrats on the car & wish you miles of happy & safe motoring!

PS: Some pics of DRLs please!
Thanks swifnfurious. I had a Fiat Palio, the Alfa is nothing like it. The Palio was only a 1.2 petrol, but I had so much fun with it. Plus it was my first car, which is always something special. The Alfa feels a lot heavier than the 1310kgs it is. The moment I sit in it, it feels as though I am sitting in a cocoon of protection! It just feels very safe and solid.
I am actually getting 23kmpl! It is amazing to get this kind of mileage after only 580 km on the clock. I think the engine will be even better after its done a few thousand kms.
Hahaha true, Maruti will probably tweak this engine to produce 30kmpl. The diesel Swifts are amazing, they have figures of 3.8-4L/100 km. We don't have the diesel Swift here, but there is talk of Suzuki bringing a diesel version of the SX4.

Quote:
Congratulations Jeeper! First time seeing a Silver Giulietta, and it is indeed an Alfa in business wear. Very elegant!

Are they offering Giulietta with the Selespeed transmission as well? Or its not there in any of their models after the 159?

Thanks vb-san! The Giulietta has a semi-automatic transmission (they call it TCT). Not sure if it is the same as a selespeed.

PlatzdaTurbo the Bravo is a good car, but the reviews I've read say the ride and handling could have been better. We don't have the Bravo in this part of the world, so I don't know much about it.

Fiat Bravo Hatchback - Summary - New Car Review - What Car?
Old 21st February 2012, 06:27   #20
BHPian

Congratulations on your latest acquisition Jeeper. Looks great mate, I admit I'm not an admirer of A-R but looking at your car did make me feel otherwise.

Where about in Adelaide do you live? I'm in Adelaide too. Saw you got a Victorian number plate. Did you buy it from Vic or moved there recently??

Regards
Punzabi
Old 21st February 2012, 07:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wow! I love the Alfa especially this one after seeing all those ads in the UK and Europe with Uma Thurman endorsing it as a school wagon and a runabout. It is one heck of a style icon indeed! Enjoy!
Old 21st February 2012, 07:38   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
We (my company) are in the middle of doing an extensive valuation assignment for Fiat India. One of the top honchos offered the car to my dad & he being a sucker for good cars fell for it. Its the only piece they have. Their MD ,Rajeev Kapoor isnt in the country at present so his return is awaited so whatever little formalities are there could get out of the way and we could get that baby home.
They were kind enough to send a few pics of the car (dad saw it in flesh but i havnt ) and boy does she look gorgeous !

165bhp / 360 NM 2 litre multijet diesel 6-speed manual.
Wow, so you are about to get a Fiat which looks even better than the current beauty (Linea) from the same family. That said, unlike the Fiats sold in India, the Bravo has an EPS. Do post an ownership review of the hot hatch once you get hold of it.

Quote:
Thanks vb-san! The Giulietta has a semi-automatic transmission (they call it TCT). Not sure if it is the same as a selespeed.
I think it’s different from the Selespeed (which was an automated MT, and was not considered very user friendly).

Edit: Just did a Google search, and found that the TCT (or DDCT – Dual Dry Clutch Transmission) was first introduced in the MiTo. Thanks

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st February 2012 at 07:39. Reason: Comment added
Old 21st February 2012, 08:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
Congratulations on your latest acquisition Jeeper. Looks great mate, I admit I'm not an admirer of A-R but looking at your car did make me feel otherwise.

Where about in Adelaide do you live? I'm in Adelaide too. Saw you got a Victorian number plate. Did you buy it from Vic or moved there recently??

Regards
Punzabi
Thanks Punzabi. I am currently in Geelong, my parents live in Adelaide (Glenelg, near the golf course). I decided to buy the car in Victoria because it was more convenient, plus the dealer delivery is $250 cheaper than SA.

Where about in Adelaide are you? Would be great to meet a t-bhpian in Adelaide the next time I'm home (which will probably be June).

Anyway, I must admit, I was a bit hesitant to get this at first because I thought it was a "chick's car" LOL, but after driving the diesel and having a look at the sports pack, it looked really good, and was very practical, so decided to take the plunge and get one!
Old 21st February 2012, 10:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, so you are about to get a Fiat which looks even better than the current beauty (Linea) from the same family. That said, unlike the Fiats sold in India, the Bravo has an EPS. Do post an ownership review of the hot hatch once you get hold of it.
Too lazy for it but will try my best

Quote:
PlatzdaTurbo the Bravo is a good car, but the reviews I've read say the ride and handling could have been better. We don't have the Bravo in this part of the world, so I don't know much about it.

Fiat Bravo Hatchback - Summary - New Car Review - What Car?

Hence i said, 'if its HALF as good as your alfa i will be very happy'
The punto in India has disappointing performance but the steering feel and feedback is the best in the segment IMO.
If the Bravo's is anywhere similar it'l be great.
It gives an 8.2sec to 100 dash. Pretty brisk ..Laura tsi territory IMO.
India isnt getting a real hot hatch for sometime atleast (not counting the mini and the 1 ,both northwards of 20 lakhs) with the polo 1.5 tdi delayed indefinitely and the golf etc nowhere on the horizon.
This is a true hot hatch by looks, performance and colour so why not ?
Anyway back to the Alfa now. No more OT talks. Apologies

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 21st February 2012 at 10:16.
Old 21st February 2012, 13:10   #25
BHPian

Jeeper congrats for the Alpha. It's an awesome piece of machinery. Probably second to the prancing horses. Wouldn't an all black color gelled well with the great interiors. Just my opinion.
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:27   #26
BHPian

PlatzdaTurbo, the new Bravo looks really nice. I wonder why Fiat isn't bringing it here, we only have the 500. Fiat used to sell the Punto but stopped it abruptly.

New Fiat Bravo

Thanks everyone, I am really enjoying driving my car in the city. I've already got several "thumbs up" from other motorists

A bit off topic now, spotted this gorgeous Fabia "Monte Carlo" edition parked in the showroom when I went to pick up my Alfa. This particular car was already sold.
Attached Thumbnails
My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up-img_20120218_124925.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2012, 04:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Punzabi. I am currently in Geelong, my parents live in Adelaide (Glenelg, near the golf course). I decided to buy the car in Victoria because it was more convenient, plus the dealer delivery is $250 cheaper than SA.

Where about in Adelaide are you? Would be great to meet a t-bhpian in Adelaide the next time I'm home (which will probably be June).

Anyway, I must admit, I was a bit hesitant to get this at first because I thought it was a "chick's car" LOL, but after driving the diesel and having a look at the sports pack, it looked really good, and was very practical, so decided to take the plunge and get one!
Congrats Jeeper. What a car! Giulietta is one my favourite cars on the road down under. Let me know if you drive down to Melbourne with the beuty. Would love to check it out
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Lovely, Lovely car there Jeeper. Love the interiors too. Does this come with the same blue & me system that most fiat's use ?

On the other hand, how's fuel pricing down under ? Diesel more expensive than petrol.?
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I live on the opposite side of town in Ferryden park. Yeah mate, it'd good to meet another Bhpian in down under. PM me when you're in town next.

Quote:
In my openion, A-R could've done better with front grill desing otherwise your car doesn't look like chick's car from any angle. It's more like a hatch on steriods I love multispoke alloy design & have fallen in absolute love with the mags. Even the interiors look macho.
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PlatzdaTurbo, the new Bravo looks really nice. I wonder why Fiat isn't bringing it here, we only have the 500. Fiat used to sell the Punto but stopped it abruptly.

New Fiat Bravo
Sure does look beautiful. Fiat did contemplate getting this car to India somewhere mid 2009-10 but the landed cost was somewhere around 22-24 lakhs. Was going to be sold as a CBU.
It clearly had no future back then. I mean just look at the Beetle and Fiat 500. Probably single digit monthly sales figures. Looking at that ,they canned the Bravo launch.
Could be launched maybe in a couple of years time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks