Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 20:46   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Alto LXi @ 52,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Any idea what this indicator means? I started the car today morning and this didn't go off. Does it mean something alarming? I didn't have the chance to go to check this today, but i called the Maruti service station and was told to bring the car for a check-up. I believe its to do with a sensor, but am not sure.
Attachment 1153881
Most likely an error due to O2 Sensor failure and this is not uncommon in Alto as from what I have noticed at MASS.

It has happened with 2 of my friends who drive Alto and one relative driving a WagonR F10D.

You may however try to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, leave it for a while and reconnect it again and it may not throw up that light again. Else visit MASS, get the ECU scanned connecting the OBD device and get the error code to zero-in on the culprit.

Throttle Position Sensor on the Throttle body, Spark Plugs, IAT Sensor, IAC unit etc failing also can cause this light to come up.

If is unlikely that you will get such error for low fluid levels for which you have a "low oil" warning light anyways.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 18:56   #47
BHPian

Just an update, the light mysteriously disappeared when I started from office today. I remember it was ON in the morning. Have to watch this. I didn't get the time to go to MASS today. Should i have a check with them anyway?
Old 18th October 2013, 19:49   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just an update, the light mysteriously disappeared when I started from office today. I remember it was ON in the morning. Have to watch this. I didn't get the time to go to MASS today. Should i have a check with them anyway?
Open your bonnet and check for cut/loose wires on the Throttle body. There may be chances that rodents may have chewed the skin of the wires (of various sensors) and they are touching each other or getting grounded.

You always have a choice to take it to the ASC and get it checked with the OBD scanner anyways but it is good to check these things yourself too which doesn't need a scanner.
Old 6th December 2013, 11:25   #49
BHPian

I usually take my car to the Bimal service station at Mahadevpura myself. Yesterday, because of an extra busy schedule at office, I opted for a pick-up and drop. This was a scheduled service at 45,000 Kms. I asked for the car to be dropped at 6pm at my office. The driver came at about 10.30 AM, did the necessary checks and left with the car.
I got a call from the SA at about 11.15 saying the estimate will be around Rs.5000. I asked him the details and when we calculated together, it came to around Rs.3700. I told him unless there is any specific urgent work required that would cost more, this would be more so around the final amount I would pay. He agreed.
Returned to work.

Then suddenly, everything started going wrong.

- I called up the SA at 5.00 pm asking him the status. He said the car will be ready in about 20 minutes.
- I received a call at 6.00 pm. SA with estimate told me the bill is Rs.5100. I asked him why? He said nothing special, just the usual bill. I reminded him of our estimate. He said he will get back and disconnected. Within 10 minutes, he called back saying he had reduced the bill to Rs.4000. I asked him the reason. He said "for your satisfaction" I wondered!?
He also told me the car had left the service station.

- I had asked my wife to walk down to my office from hers and wait. From 6.30pm we were both outside, waiting for the car to arrive. Meanwhile, i kept calling the SA to check. The only answer I received was, "Sir, will arrive in 10 minutes". I was really frustrated by this time and was lamenting over my decision to give the car for service today.
- The car arrived at 7.40pm. I asked the driver why he took over 1.5 hours to drive from Bimal to Whitefield? Reply:"Traffic".
- The final shock. A dent just above the front tyre on the right.

Maruti Alto LXi @ 52,000 kms-dent1.jpg
Maruti Alto LXi @ 52,000 kms-dent2.jpg

I blew up on the driver, called the manager and then his manager. I flatly refused to pay the service bill. The SA promised to get the dent fixed the next day(today). I told him very clearly that it had to be as good as it was before(no scratch or line).

My question is: Should i pay the service bill?
I am of the opinion that i shouldn't because of the following reasons:-
- the frustration Bimal has caused to me
- I have to foot the petrol bill for the car to travel twice to the service station and back.
- My family(wife & kid) had had to wait for nearly 1 hour on the pavement for the car to arrive.
- I had plans to use the car today afternoon, but that has been cancelled.
- They will definitely not repair the dent wholly. It will be a tinkering job which of-course will leave the usual marks.
- The overall level at which they handled my car, the service and this issue.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 13:46   #50
BHPian

Quote:

My question is: Should i pay the service bill?
I am of the opinion that i shouldn't because of the following reasons:-
- the frustration Bimal has caused to me
- I have to foot the petrol bill for the car to travel twice to the service station and back.
- My family(wife & kid) had had to wait for nearly 1 hour on the pavement for the car to arrive.
- I had plans to use the car today afternoon, but that has been cancelled.
- They will definitely not repair the dent wholly. It will be a tinkering job which of-course will leave the usual marks.
- The overall level at which they handled my car, the service and this issue.

Assuming that the car is with you right now and you haven't paid the service bill while collecting the car from driver, there is no harm if you wait till they carry out the denting/painting work upto your satisfaction.

Give them negative rating and ask for the reasons why the SA was changing the bill amount frequently and if possible please scan and post the bill here.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 13:51   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

- Make sure that the dent work is clean, they should be able to do a good job
- If you are not satisfied with the dent work then you can consider trend automobile,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html

- Hold the payment till this issue gets resolved. You can even deduct taxi/petrol expenses.

- btw, I felt Rs. 3700 for a 45K service is on the higher side. the servicing goes every 10K Kms, right?
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 02:21   #52
BANNED

Quote:
My question is: Should i pay the service bill? I am of the opinion that i shouldn't because of the following reasons:-

Do NOT pay the bill and HOLD it till you have that dent repaired with the fender as new.

Escalate this issue and also mention that the SA was changing the bill amount whenever you questioned him which is incorrect.

Also deduct the petrol bill from the service bill and pay for service ONLY.

Can you please post the scan of the bill of the service after blanking out the personal stuff?

Isn't the service 10K kms? Why have you serviced it at 45K? What is the current status of the car and the whole issue?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 11:29   #53
BHPian

Thanks all.
The car is back. The dent is fixed. However, there is still a feeble scratch that can be seen.
I escalated this till the GM, of-course he was very apologetic and promised to get this fixed. He spoke at length, telling me he will take strict action on the SA. He said he would come and personally meet me this week. I told him I would pay when I meet him. So, still haven't paid!
What is the duration between services for Maruti? I see a sticker which says my next service is at 50,000 KMs.

Last edited by aneezan : 9th December 2013 at 11:30.
Old 9th December 2013, 12:08   #54
BANNED

Quote:
So, still haven't paid!
What is the duration between services for Maruti? I see a sticker which says my next service is at 50,000 KMs.
Good that the car is back and dent is solved. Pay the bill buddy add the matter has been escalated.

Service intervals are 10K kms. I am surprised why you got it serviced at 45K. I was thinking the service interval goes like 30K, 40K; 50K and so on. No need to go for odd number (35K, 45K, 55K).

Please don't go by the sticker. Follow the owners manual.

Anurag.
Old 9th December 2013, 15:57   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all.
Agree with what a4anurag mentioned. I too own an Alto, as per service booklet the intervals are 10K / 1 year. However the service center (Suraksha, Bomanahalli) mentions the intervals as 5K.
I guess apart from the so called service (washing car ~1K) which is done there are no replacements required at 5K. Oil change interval is 10K. Remaining all changes have duration of 20K or above.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 17:24   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Agree with what a4anurag mentioned. I too own an Alto, as per service booklet the intervals are 10K / 1 year. However the service center (Suraksha, Bomanahalli) mentions the intervals as 5K.
I guess apart from the so called service (washing car ~1K) which is done there are no replacements required at 5K. Oil change interval is 10K. Remaining all changes have duration of 20K or above.
The 5K service is just money making method.

Maruti used to call me initially when I was unaware of this service. But later they stopped it after I gave them a read of the owners manual. They call it precautionary service.

They quote that they check all the bolts lubricate of necessary and check all the fluid levels in the car with washing.

Anurag.
Old 11th December 2013, 11:32   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Good that the car is back and dent is solved. Pay the bill buddy add the matter has been escalated.

Service intervals are 10K kms. I am surprised why you got it serviced at 45K. I was thinking the service interval goes like 30K, 40K; 50K and so on. No need to go for odd number (35K, 45K, 55K).

Please don't go by the sticker. Follow the owners manual.

Anurag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The 5K service is just money making method.

Maruti used to call me initially when I was unaware of this service. But later they stopped it after I gave them a read of the owners manual. They call it precautionary service.

They quote that they check all the bolts lubricate of necessary and check all the fluid levels in the car with washing.

Anurag.
Thanks guys.
Read the manual, and its 10,000 kms. As I had mentioned in my earlier posts, I had an accident two years back, which led to the car being fully serviced at the 25,000km mark.

As you say, looks like am being milked of extra cash.
My next service will be at 55,000km.
Old 11th December 2013, 12:04   #58
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks guys.
Read the manual, and its 10,000 kms. As I had mentioned in my earlier posts, I had an accident two years back, which led to the car being fully serviced at the 25,000km mark.

As you say, looks like am being milked of extra cash. My next service will be at 55,000km.
Good that you realized that your being milked.

They will call you after 6 months as they will anticipate that you would have clocked 5K kms and the car is ready for service but don't accept the request. Just tell them that you will come once you complete 10K kms from the last service and if they have doubt ask them to check the manual.

Anurag.
Old 10th March 2014, 10:41   #59
BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto LXi @ 50,000 km

It was during yet another 1200 km trip to my native and back that the car crossed 50,000km. I normally take the right at Attibele to Varthur and then on to Whitefield. As I reached Varthur, the car suddenly lost control. Flat tire. Already tired due to the long journey, I found a nearby mechanic to help me with the spare.

I didn't have the time to fix the flat for about a week. Finally, yesterday, I went to Tyre Empire on Whitefield Main Road to get an overall check-up done. I knew it was high time I got the tires replaced.
The tube on the flat tire had burst. There was a hole big enough for my head to go through.

An examination was done and the tires had to be changed.
I opted for Michelin(tubeless).

These are the figures as per the final invoice:-

Michelin 145/80R12 74T TL - Energy XM2(4) - 2,799.10 each - 11, 196.40
Wheel Alignment - 250
Wheel Balancing - 220
Balancing Weights - 162
Tax - 1,705
Total = 13,533

Could someone tell me if these are OK?

Ride after change has been very good. The vibrations and rattles have stopped. The small bumps on the road are "less" felt now. Rear seat passengers have also given a big .
aneezan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 12:51   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto LXi @ 50,000 km

Quote:
Total = 13,533
Could someone tell me if these are OK?
I been following your thread since my Alto has also the same odo- reading as yours. However since past couple of months my trips have come down, hence I am not doing around 47.5 K Kms on my odometer.

Regarding XM2, I had moved to them when my odo was around 40 K. My views on the tyre are also similar to yours. Regarding the rate I guess you got a descent deal, when I purchased it was around 12.8 K for tyres + balancing + weights + valves. My purchase was from Madhu's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks