Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2007, 20:37   #346
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
What happens when you are driving a 2 hour journey in Rain. So everytime we need to turn on the defogger to clear the mist after cut off.

All depends on the situation. I would appreciate if both auto & manual option are available in defogger.
but i would keep turning my defogger on and off since ive heard reports of glass cracking if the defogger is kept on for too long.
Old 27th September 2007, 22:24   #347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
but i would keep turning my defogger on and off since ive heard reports of glass cracking if the defogger is kept on for too long.
if its raining and you are using defogger, it will not crack the glass. i used to do the same in my ol iKON on long drives.

but the fact is u dont need a defogger when it rains, you need it when it stops raining and condensation starts and when you are reversing.
Old 28th September 2007, 09:56   #348
BHPian

Why defogger is required?

Its temperature difference, inside and outside of car and water vapor in air cause any glass milky white.
This can be get rid of by using hot air from the side is formed.
1. if inside is formed then just turn AC blower outlet to last option + blower fan to maximum speed while keeping temperature slightly more than outside temperature.
2. if it is formed from outside then either you raise temperature from method1 or heat the glass with defogger not more than 3 minutes. Then continue with method 1 above.
Old 28th September 2007, 15:38   #349
BHPian

Sometimes using the AC will clear the mist.
Old 28th September 2007, 20:09   #350
BHPian

Have any of you bought the MGA Accessory ORVM Cover with side indicators?I think it makes the car look upmarket (la mercedes.. one wishes).
does it come in body color? Any idea on prices?
Old 28th September 2007, 20:14   #351
Team-BHP Support

gopinathan - hows your mileage after you stopped using second gear to start.
Old 28th September 2007, 20:23   #352
BHPian

Quote:
gopinathan - hows your mileage after you stopped using second gear to start.
Very bad, I didn't check by tank-fill, but approximately seeing the needle. think it should come around 10-11. Also it is not comfortable to drive in lower gears as sudden jerks are visible and I need to leave the clutch careful to avoid the jerks. So starting from 1st, 2nd in 15 kmph, 3rd by 25kmph, 4th in 35, 5th above 40 kmph.

Question: Why do they advertise that the car has low end torque. Does this mean avoid frequent gear change in city which gives enough power in slow moving and at higher gears ?

This is the style I was used to drive my Santro and I didn't get a single problem in clutch/gearbox etc. Even if there is any problem I have warranty for 3 years in which the company is going to replace. If any repair comes then I will change my driving style later.
Old 28th September 2007, 20:35   #353
BHPian

Gopi,
here is the deal on why we need 1st gear. Ever pushed car manually? you would need more hands move it to get it started (moral: Loads of work to accomplish little movement to overcome the inertia/ initial friction).
Once it starts moving the friction reduces and effort required comes down. you will find the at you can single handedly keep the car rolling without much effort.
From thereon the effort required to keep it moving is proportional to the speed you want to move at.
This is the effect of 1st gear. it helps you get the vehicle off the ground. You can do it using second gear also (imagine you single handedly pushing the car from dead stop) only that the strain is more.
The trick is to use the 1st gear to only get it started. Basics of driving in 1st gear is to never ride it for long.
Engeage the 1st, let the clutch go- depress the accelerator slightly and feel the car move.. you will hear the engine rpms rise dramatically. Dont let it get too high and just shift to 2nd *you should be around 10kmph when this happens. you are good from thereon.

Low End torque is about the 'Power-band' of the engine. It is the RPM band when the engine is generating maximum power. There are lots of threads on this subject-search for it.
bottom line. Santro like Sx4 has lots of low end torque. torque is what gives you driveability(ability to pull load).
BHP /PS is what gives you top whack.
Old 28th September 2007, 20:35   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
Have any of you bought the MGA Accessory ORVM Cover with side indicators?I think it makes the car look upmarket (la mercedes.. one wishes).
does it come in body color? Any idea on prices?
I asked the dealer, he showed me the Swift ORVM with indicator. It doesn't come with body color, only chrome. He doesn't know when SX4 ORVM is coming. So I bought side indicators from ebay. It is a soft circuit which can be bent, and it needs to pasted in the ORVM and connect the wires to the indicators.
Old 28th September 2007, 20:43   #355
BHPian

Venkatesh
Nowadays, I am not staring in 2nd gear. When shifting the gear I make sure that the RPM is around 1K so that the engine is not stressed.

Quote:
Gopi,
here is the deal on why we need 1st gear. Ever pushed car manually? you would need more hands move it to get it started (moral: Loads of work to accomplish little movement to overcome the inertia/ initial friction).
Once it starts moving the friction reduces and effort required comes down. you will find the at you can single handedly keep the car rolling without much effort.
From thereon the effort required to keep it moving is proportional to the speed you want to move at.
This is the effect of 1st gear. it helps you get the vehicle off the ground. You can do it using second gear also (imagine you single handedly pushing the car from dead stop) only that the strain is more.
The trick is to use the 1st gear to only get it started. Basics of driving in 1st gear is to never ride it for long.
Engeage the 1st, let the clutch go- depress the accelerator slightly and feel the car move.. you will hear the engine rpms rise dramatically. Dont let it get too high and just shift to 2nd *you should be around 10kmph when this happens. you are good from thereon.

Low End torque is about the 'Power-band' of the engine. It is the RPM band when the engine is generating maximum power. There are lots of threads on this subject-search for it.
bottom line. Santro like Sx4 has lots of low end torque. torque is what gives you driveability(ability to pull load).
BHP /PS is what gives you top whack.
Old 28th September 2007, 20:55   #356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very bad, I didn't check by tank-fill, but approximately seeing the needle. think it should come around 10-11. Also it is not comfortable to drive in lower gears as sudden jerks are visible and I need to leave the clutch careful to avoid the jerks. So starting from 1st, 2nd in 15 kmph, 3rd by 25kmph, 4th in 35, 5th above 40 kmph.

Question: Why do they advertise that the car has low end torque. Does this mean avoid frequent gear change in city which gives enough power in slow moving and at higher gears ?

This is the style I was used to drive my Santro and I didn't get a single problem in clutch/gearbox etc. Even if there is any problem I have warranty for 3 years in which the company is going to replace. If any repair comes then I will change my driving style later.
i think your starting in first with the same amount of revs you started with in second. just lower your revs.
Old 28th September 2007, 20:59   #357
BHPian

I didn't get good mileage because of the wrong usage of gears in 2nd & 3rd. Next time I should be getting the same in the range of 12-13.

Quote:
i think your starting in first with the same amount of revs you started with in second. just lower your revs.
Old 28th September 2007, 22:28   #358
BHPian

Quote:
I asked the dealer, he showed me the Swift ORVM with indicator. It doesn't come with body color, only chrome. He doesn't know when SX4 ORVM is coming. So I bought side indicators from ebay. It is a soft circuit which can be bent, and it needs to pasted in the ORVM and connect the wires to the indicators.
Have you connected them yet? Can you post some snaps please.
Old 28th September 2007, 22:44   #359
Senior - BHPian

Mon dieu! Gopinathan, U start ur car in second gear??
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Venky
Gopi,
I cosign.
Old 29th September 2007, 10:07   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Have you connected them yet? Can you post some snaps please.
I will be doing that this week, will post the pics once it is done.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks