Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2009, 23:10   #691
Team-BHP Support

I dont know what to say, but i would like to say one thing Tata quality has gone from bad to worse and this firms my belief to stay away from the brand for a long time. Was thinking of a Nano, now NO!NO to that! Have seen enough people whom i know suffer and incur big loses.

Put up the detail and hope you get some relief soon.
Old 16th March 2009, 00:08   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The pipe is flimsy rubber. It is held in place by an equally flimsy hook.
Somehow due to vibrations etc., it came out of the hook, and was "free"
This the bend could happen.

I stopped immediately, and tried to change the tire, but two nuts are jammed.
A truck driver comes to help. he can't. Then a bus guy tries even he can't
Called helpline, and for more than an hour all I hear is help will come shortly, but nobody is there in sight.
Then another truck comes, and the guys have a longer spanner which is a very very snug fit on the nut. They put some water on the nut, then 2 of them stand on it, and finally it rotates.
We reach home at around 5:30am, and we started from Kalpa at 10:45am, and filled diesel at recong Peo at 11:30am
Imagine, 13 hours on the road and you get a puncture, then the damn nuts have jammed, you waste 3 hours, and finally hit home in morning.
Heck we had to modify our holiday plans because of this thing.
I really should have bought scorpio or innova or maybe a second hand vitara or something.
Again how many Safari's that are on the road suffer from this ? Its about the quality issue. You are correct that tata does not have QC department.

Nuts getting jammed ? Unheard of for me atleast. We have never faced this issue. Metals expand on heating, but they put water on the nut. I am not able to understand this. 3 hours for nut jammed is horrible. This is a proper 4 X 4 and these errors are the last thing one can expect.

Scorpio would have been better option. And if you were ( I am not sure if 4 X 4 was requirement ), Innova would have been the best buy. Safari proves why Innova sells like hot cakes and is so successful.
Old 16th March 2009, 00:08   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

You know, I was wondering about something. Its the Safari that seems to have all these issues, while their other products - Grande or the Xenon - which share the same (detuned)engine, seem to have none/none reported. Understandably the Xenon is new and will have a restricted user-base, but I still havent heard any Safari-type issues with the Grande.

All this seems to point to a lack of QC particularly on their Safaris.

Tan - I really dont know what to say man. I just wish this problem goes away for you - one way or the other.
Old 16th March 2009, 00:13   #694
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
You know, I was wondering about something. Its the Safari that seems to have all these issues, while their other products - Grande or the Xenon - which share the same (detuned)engine, seem to have none/none reported.
Mahesh, you would also need to consider just how many Safaris are present on the forum, and compare against the one known Grande on TBHP. I dont suppose you could rule out the reporting of any probs on the Grande as a sign of having lesser problems. Lets just say we dont have the true picture.

Tanveer, is the issue finally resolved now, or are they still performing more checks? This aside, i hope you had no other dampners for your trip.
Old 16th March 2009, 00:17   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Sandeep, how do you mean 'time for a change'?
There's ten big ones tied up there!
Truly, and looks one need to be really lucky to get a good product :-)

And then, one would expect basic minimum quality control from any manufacturer... be it a 2 lakh car or 10, no point in saying that one has to own the car to be able to opine etc.... words of mouth are something indeed, and not everyone is in a position to gamble with their hard earned money for God's sake.

Seems I will have to rethink my options all over again... I want to keep the vehicle for at least 5 years.. cannot afford such erratic stuff!
Whenever we find the key to the problem, one thing comes clear, that is poor assembly, and that can be fatal.

One Tata sales prson once tld me not to buy electronic power steering fitted vehicles, and boster assited brakes, since if the morot fails, I may lose control entirely... and secondly, if the engine is off, the booster does not work (booster is nothing but a hydraulic system, which pushes more brake fluid, hence high pressure with less effort)... I did check the figures with Maruti.. and numerous other people who own them.. never ever one had any issues with the such basic things.. now the quetion is, why can't Tata assure us on such fronts?

It is no longer a new product for God's sake, what frustrates me is, this looks like sheer lack of professionalism on their part... more cheaper parts, worst is the quality... I would like to tell you, personally one Tata salesperson told me, not to hold on to their vehicle more than 3 years
Old 16th March 2009, 00:18   #696
Senior - BHPian

I think everybody here can imagine what you are going through.

Sorry to go OT, but some members of PUG (including yours truly) spent 3 hours today at Rama Motors, (new Tata-Fiat dealer, formerly Hyundai) who had organised an "interaction" with Fiat owners to promote their dealership and specifically the Linea. I was impressed seeing their commitment, behaviour and their state-of-the-art equipment including a laser-guided hydraulic machine which straightens car chassis.

Proactive dealers, committed ASC, but what's the point if vehicles from the factory come with this level of quality?

In a perfect world, I would love to see that replacement. If it's not possible, I hope your vehicle's problems are solved, once and for all. All the Best!
Old 16th March 2009, 00:29   #697
BHPian

Guys you can't just blame Tata motors for a jammed bolt.
and yeah Scorpio is better in terms of quality but not too ahead,
and yeah if safari was a couple of lakh more expensive then must have better build.
don't be so dejected you donkey will be horse again, trust me and then you won't regret your decision like you are doing now, don't loose heart. Believe me you will be doing things with your horse that other won't dare. just don't so negative .
the thing is that A.S.S guys fiddle with all the things in process of getting one thing right, actual problem is lack of dedication at workshops.

Last edited by overdose14 : 16th March 2009 at 00:33.
Old 16th March 2009, 00:34   #698
BHPian

[quote
the thing is that A.S.S guys fiddle with all the things in process of getting one thing right, actual problem is lack of dedication at workshops.[/quote]

Does that assure a owner or a prospective owner one bit? My family's life will be at the mercy of so many factors and poor quality parts... like Tanveer mentioned self bending rubber pipe.. my heart goes out to him.. have Tata now reduced to replacing metal pipes with plastic ones to save cost?? hell NO!!
Old 16th March 2009, 00:37   #699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Mahesh, you would also need to consider just how many Safaris are present on the forum, and compare against the one known Grande on TBHP. I dont suppose you could rule out the reporting of any probs on the Grande as a sign of having lesser problems. Lets just say we dont have the true picture.
Ben, I also included outside TBhp Grande direct/indirect owners I've known about. But, as you said, there may not be a true picture of that owner base due to its lesser numbers

Last edited by theMAG : 16th March 2009 at 00:52.
Old 16th March 2009, 00:59   #700
BHPian

OT : i know its off topic but relates to TATA so thought let me share.
one of my close friend has TATA dealership here in delhi. i was facing consistent niggling issues with my indigo LX (kept her only for 2yrs) and asked him to find me a way out. he said you should have asked me once before buying a tata product (why i bought it is another story). he asked me not to keep her and not buy a tata again. now a dealer saying that really sums it all up!
Old 16th March 2009, 02:42   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
[quote
the thing is that A.S.S guys fiddle with all the things in process of getting one thing right, actual problem is lack of dedication at workshops.
Does that assure a owner or a prospective owner one bit? My family's life will be at the mercy of so many factors and poor quality parts... like Tanveer mentioned self bending rubber pipe.. my heart goes out to him.. have Tata now reduced to replacing metal pipes with plastic ones to save cost?? hell NO!![/quote]

sir, if parts were that inferior then i think safari sales must be close to zero,
and tata have invested so much money not to have a bad name.
even tanveer doesn't know the reason for that bend pipe. there can be so many reasons.
even GTO had serious issues with his merc, does that means merc uses low quality part?
Old 16th March 2009, 07:57   #702
Senior - BHPian

If anyone senior from Tata Motors is reading this thread, there will be only ONE conclusion that he will come to:
For one person complaining, there are five defending TM and are so forgiving!
Where's the need to change anything?

Maybe this is the reason we are saddled with such home grown Makers. We're not even clear or united in what we should get and deserve after spending a million!
Old 16th March 2009, 09:02   #703
Team-BHP Support

This is very shocking and sad. Having your primary ride so compromised all the time is really hard to bear. At this rate you can't go on any long ride with confidence. Since it is your Safari that is facing all these issues, you are probably right in thinking you got a lemon. Since you bought the rare 4x4 Safari in your area, is it possible they palmed off an unsold test drive mule?
Old 16th March 2009, 09:06   #704
Team-BHP Support

Nope, the car was manufactured in May 2008(2 months before purchase), and car came on a truck to the dealership(my uncle went to yard and verified it)
So some circus at Tata end itself
Old 16th March 2009, 09:08   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

And that was not the end of it, after we filled in paperwork at solan, the rear tire sidewall somehow shredded. I stopped immediately, and tried to change the tire, but two nuts are jammed.
A truck driver comes to help. he can't. Then a bus guy tries even he can't
Called helpline, and for more than an hour all I hear is help will come shortly, but nobody is there in sight.
Then another truck comes, and the guys have a longer spanner which is a very very snug fit on the nut. They put some water on the nut, then 2 of them stand on it, and finally it rotates.
We reach home at around 5:30am, and we started from Kalpa at 10:45am, and filled diesel at recong Peo at 11:30am
Imagine, 13 hours on the road and you get a puncture, then the damn nuts have jammed, you waste 3 hours, and finally hit home in morning.
Heck we had to modify our holiday plans because of this thing.
I really should have bought scorpio or innova or maybe a second hand vitara or something.
I have faced a similar issue with the wheel nuts jamming more than once.
Whats worse is that when you force too hard on the nut, the 'wonderful' wheel spanner provided by TML slips and damages the nut. Then God save you because after that every/any spanner will slip. The nuts are provided with a facny chrome cap which are the first to break off.
Since then, I have been getting the service done with all wheels taken off, and using wd40 prior to tightening them back, to prevent rust & jamming.

I too was horrified the first time. But the thing about buying Tata is that the number of issues small/minor/big is so overwhelming that you dont know where to start. You just shut up and put up and drive till the car stalls somewhere or is not drivable.
For example, the temp shows -6* in Mumbai. Its a small issue. But then why should they provide a feature that wont work. The only time one would want to check the temp on the digital odometer is when they want to see the accurate temp. If its not accurate then, they why have it.

So friends, conclusion, if you dont need it and cant put up, then dont buy it. TML does not manufacture products for those working 9-5, 5-6 days a week. Its for those who have the time to keep on running to the TASS to get things sorted regularly.
I doubt Ratan Tata even knows whats going on.
There are a few really bad lemons, tsk's safari in point. But the rest of them are also lemons, rotting somewhere, some not sweet, and some barely palatable.
No offence here to any Safari owners here. I am a Safari owner too but I have never been emotionally attached to any horse, either on 2/4 wheels.
At the same time I would not want to assume that competitors in the category provide better products, since there arent any options to choose from.

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks