Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 00:04   #826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. The pipe is not the overflow tube, its the pipe which takes water from coolant reservoir to radiator. When radiator gets empty, coolant flows from this tank to radiator, so you get to know that you don't have coolant when this tank is empty
Tanveer, a small correction to your above statement.

The pipe is not the overflow tube, its the pipe which takes water from coolant reservoir to radiator and back to the reservoir when the coolant pressure increases inside the radiator because of the heat. It works both ways.

Also I agree with Jaggu when he says that the thickness of this tube is enough as this is a non-pressurised system. It just needs to be able to withstand the heat of the coolant, that is all.

Also I still insist that the clip is at the wrong place for this particular tube. I don't think it is meant for this tube. Other Safari 2.2 owners have to confirm whether the tube is actually held by that clip in their vehicles.

Last edited by vikram_d : 18th March 2009 at 00:07.
Old 18th March 2009, 00:55   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

One is of the pipe and rest is of the engine oil leak, and falling on alternator
Sorry if it is a dead question, have they found out why the oil was dripping?
This was a common issue in Indigo to have oil leak from engine manifolds/gasket earlier. I had one in my Alto as well.

About the coolant, it is possible if the radiator has any leak? Have they drained it and checked it for any leak?

Now, the issue you had was only because of the overheat due to lack of coolant.. oil leak is accompanying issue, is their any other problem?

Sorry if I am being overly interrogative, what if we sign a common petition and send it to Tata through formal channel? Unity is strength, and I will be very happy to contribute if we can do anything as a group.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th March 2009 at 12:17. Reason: fised end quote
Old 18th March 2009, 10:46   #828
Team-BHP Support

Autolinks guy has taken the vehicle. He should reach workshop by 11:30. So by evening I will know what all needs to be fixed
Old 18th March 2009, 10:54   #829
Team-BHP Support

Tanveer, was the radiator dry OR coolant low when you guys finally diagnosed the issue?
Old 18th March 2009, 11:06   #830
Team-BHP Support

Radiator had very little coolant, and it was not going from coolant reservoir to radiator due to bend in pipe.
Old 18th March 2009, 11:33   #831
Team-BHP Support

Was their any leakage near the pressure cap (assuming NO, since you havent noticed it), coz thats the first place it would leak if the tank tube is blocked when pressure builds (engine heats up).

I gather that your radiator lost water OR it had a bad air pocket. Thorough diagnosis is on the cards since coolant dissapearing isnt a very comfy scene, hope there is no contamination of oil and coolant?
Old 18th March 2009, 11:43   #832
Team-BHP Support

I checked the air intake after the air filter, no oil there, and no oil in the exhaust also, so don't expect an issue there. Rest I will get to know after full diagnosis
Old 18th March 2009, 11:45   #833
Team-BHP Support

I meant the engine oil, have you check if coolant has mixed with it?
Old 18th March 2009, 11:47   #834
Team-BHP Support

No, we checked engine oil, it seems fine. No sign of water in engine oil.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:01   #835
BHPian

Pls check guys are you talking of this tube/clop etc....
In my Dicor 3.0 its closed clip...

Regards..
Attached Thumbnails
Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-type.jpg  

Old 18th March 2009, 13:20   #836
BHPian

TSK-

My 2 cents here - check whether the vacuum vent valve of the radiator cap is functional - if that malfunctions - there is the possibility that the fluid from the overflow (transparent) tank will be blocked from returning back to the radiator. So the overflow tank remains full while the radiator does not get the fluid.

Also, there should be an air bleed screw on the top line from the radiator to the engine - its usually opened slightly during servicing if the coolant had been changed (its used to remove air bubbles) - if not re-tightened properly - that could be a source of coolant leakage (happened in my Indica- it was the source of the mysterious disappearance of coolant).

Although, it doesn't explain why the temp indication never went up !
Old 19th March 2009, 10:52   #837
Distinguished - BHPian

I am writing of an experience I had in an Esteem while crossing Jalori and driving rather aggressively. Going up the temp gague was almost in red but soon after crossing the top and going downhill it dropped back to normal range. So I continued on till almost Jibhi (bottom of jalori on the manali side) where we stopped.
Here I noticed smoke out of engine and on opening found car extremely "hot". After letting it cool down for an hour we opened the radiator and found it empty (at least the top tank did not have any coolant) so we added water with running engine and started off and reached Manali safely. Changed coolant here and continued.
When the car overheats the coolant flows out to overflow tank but if there is too much of overflow this tank overflows too and coolant is lost. Even with engine cooling down and suction back starting the overflow tank does not have sufficient coolant to revert back fill levels. This does not seem to have happened here since there was no tell tale sign of coolant overflow from the overflow tank.
The other point is that when engine cooling circuit looses coolant beyond a particular level (varies on location of temprature sensor) the sensor stops giving you correct reading as it is no longer in contact with coolant. (Needle at red zone came to normal) With increased altitudes the problem is compunded.
Although this is not what seems to have happened here but just sharing it for benefit of others so that in similar situation they do not rule out coolant checks.
Old 19th March 2009, 11:18   #838
Team-BHP Support

Well in my case there is a fault in the cooling system. The car is loosing coolant, they have verified it. They suspect the radiator cap, testing going on.
Meanwhile hooked on the laptop when given throttle input, there was some error code coming from the electronic accelerator pedal. So that is also going to be replaced.
Old 19th March 2009, 11:18   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Also I still insist that the clip is at the wrong place for this particular tube. I don't think it is meant for this tube. Other Safari 2.2 owners have to confirm whether the tube is actually held by that clip in their vehicles.
Yes, that's what Dadu & ADC are also saying - tube wasn't held by that clip on their vehicles.
Old 19th March 2009, 11:49   #840
Team-BHP Support

It will be the cap only I am sure. Just ask them to check the rubber tube inside the cap. Or better still, do a visual comparison with a new vehicle and see.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks