Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2007, 13:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indica Petrol Redux!!

Hi Folks,

one of the cars that we have back home in delhi is an Indica LSI (yes it is a petrol), Jan 2003 model that has done about 40K

we were contemplating selling this car since this car was primarily used as an office car while I was in Delhi and has been sparingly used over the last cuople of years. but two things changed our minds- the ridiculous resale value of the car and the problems we had with our Palio. so the Palio went out of the window this weekend. good riddance.

now to the Indica. My dad wanted a small car to use ever since he sold off the optra (hence I sent my Palio to him from bangy). we have a new Getz at home, but my mum uses that. so we thougt-instead of selling the indica for <1L and then spending an additional 3.5L on a new hatch, y not redo the Indica. (my dad cares two hoots for snob value and is quite happy doing his <50k a week runs in the Indica)

the Indica has Never let us down despite some harsh usage but is showing its age now. 4.5 years on delhi roads and Delhi high Court parking have left their mark on the car with many scratches and dings.

Also the interiors have faded away and the plastics a looking really awful after constant standing in the sun (she does not have the privilege of being parked inside the house )

but that engine is still brilliant, in a rough sort of way and the growl (i kid u not!) of the exhaust still brings a smile.

the ICE is as basic as it gets with a Sony cassette player and two front speakers of Pineear (yes, that is the correct spelling of the speakers )

So what we were thinking was:

complete engine flush, change the spark blugs and all teh belts, service the AC(It is a chiller), install KnN and FFE, upgrade the tyres to 185 r13or 14 tubeless (maybe go in for alloys if we go in for 14 inchers).

repaint the car in the original colour- golden beige. relay the carpets, art leather seats insideand a general buffing of all teh plastics, and upgrade the ICE to a decent (read- no high end stuff) MP3 (blau mumbai or bahamas) with 4 speaker- Blau or JBL.

does this sound like a good idea? also i estimated about 50K for all of this (minus alloys of course). is that a reasonabe estimate?

where in delhi can I get this done under one roof.

i dont want to spend more than 60-65K but having done all this, i am pretty sure the car will run smoothly for at least another 3-4 years.

wot say fellas?

cheers

himanshu

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 13th November 2007 at 13:42.
Old 13th November 2007, 15:25   #2
BHPian

go for it ..

I definitely think it makes sense to refurbish the Indica.. Look at it this way. Current value of the car - 1l spending 65k, your spend is only 1.65l.. If you were to sell the Indica and buy another hatch, you will get nothing better for the money.

Fix it sir
Old 13th November 2007, 15:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

Whatever you do, stay far away from Tata workshops(unless there is warranty repair).
Your car is doing fine, and so go to a good workshop. Find a good mechanic in your area.
On what to do with the car, a blind change everything is unproductive.
first open the owners manual.
Near the last page there is a list of things to be done at what intervals.
for example gear oil should be changed every 20,000kms.
Belts are changed at 40K(AC I think) etc., etc.,
So bring up your old service history, and spend 30 minutes making a list of all things which need to be changed.
Then change only that.
Since your engine is good, you can go for a flush and put in synthetic oil, or the semi synthetic Castrol GTX magnetic in case you do not want to splurge.

The things you need to focus on are
1. Electricals : Things start popping around 50K, so make any preemptive repairs if necessary. A battery guy can check the voltage for you
2. suspension : Not the shockers themselves, but the tie rods are a weak link. Not very expensive to replace, but their replacement will save you from shocker replacement
3. Clutch : Any play etc.,? Change the cable. It will save you from expensive repairs in future
4. Get alignment etc., done

Finding a decent mechanic with ECU scanner will be the toughest job. you will not find one in a Tata workshop, you will have to look outside.
Old 13th November 2007, 15:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Logically - its sensible rejuvenating the Indica only if the engine is in mint condition.

Emotionally - keeping in mind the resale, it makes sense to rejuvenate the Indica irrespective of engine health.
Old 13th November 2007, 16:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Whatever you do, stay far away from Tata workshops(unless there is warranty repair). absolutely.... no warranties since the car is 4.5 yrs old
Your car is doing fine, and so go to a good workshop. Find a good mechanic in your area. thats the plan. I stay in south delhi- solooking for a decent mech in that area/Noida
On what to do with the car, a blind change everything is unproductive.
first open the owners manual.
Near the last page there is a list of things to be done at what intervals.
for example gear oil should be changed every 20,000kms.
Belts are changed at 40K(AC I think) etc., etc.,
So bring up your old service history, and spend 30 minutes making a list of all things which need to be changed.
Then change only that. good point!
Since your engine is good, you can go for a flush and put in synthetic oil, or the semi synthetic Castrol GTX magnetic in case you do not want to splurge.

The things you need to focus on are
1. Electricals : Things start popping around 50K, so make any preemptive repairs if necessary. A battery guy can check the voltage for you- being an LSI, it has not PW, power mirrors, cent. lock etc, thankfully. need to upgrade the lights though
2. suspension : Not the shockers themselves, but the tie rods are a weak link. Not very expensive to replace, but their replacement will save you from shocker replacement- was already in the list
3. Clutch : Any play etc.,? Change the cable. It will save you from expensive repairs in future clutch plate will be changed, irrespective of the condtition of the present one
4. Get alignment etc., done- getting new boots, so yes, alignment will be done

Finding a decent mechanic with ECU scanner will be the toughest job. you will not find one in a Tata workshop, you will have to look outside.This is the biggest challenge- any suggestions?

in line... (twenty caracters)

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 13th November 2007 at 16:09.
Old 13th November 2007, 23:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Himanshu,

Your thread made me go all nostalgic as I was forced to sell my Indica 2000 Petrol LEI just a few months back when we moved from Kolkata to Bangalore. It had done 60k and was among the first few Mumbai cars delivered in June 2000!

Sold it only because of Karnataka road tax hassles but broke my heart to do so. I had seriously contemplated taking it along and doing the same exercise you are doing.

Wish you the best of luck and I am dead sure it will be worthwhile!
Old 14th November 2007, 00:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

please now add in the following:
autocop power windows (cousin's swift lxi - 4k)
sony basic usb/aux in HU (5.5k), some 2.5k additional for coaxials (i'm an ice newbie but he spent under 8k total for a decent xplod setup) - jai KB. dont spend much more unless your parents are audiophiles.

as for tasc, tsk is noida wasi, he will advise you (check his 82k km LTR - that has name of the service center he now visits)
Old 14th November 2007, 09:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

My diesel indica is nearing 90 on original clutch. Why do you want to open the original clutch? Even if its a genuine part, a factory fit is a factory fit. Get the gearbox opened only if there is a problem, otherwise things may go worse.
Old 14th November 2007, 09:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
My diesel indica is nearing 90 on original clutch. Why do you want to open the original clutch? Even if its a genuine part, a factory fit is a factory fit. Get the gearbox opened only if there is a problem, otherwise things may go worse.
Worn out clutch depends on your driving style. Mine got replaced at 65K KM at TASC Gurgaon. and while doing that I got the Gear Work done, like changed the original nut-bolt gear joint to the rod one. Now there is very less play in the gear rod. And some work on synchro-mesh for 1st and 2nd gears

After the clutch plate and pressure plate replace, it is smooth like butter for last 25K KM. Even better than the stock one
Old 14th November 2007, 23:30   #10
BHPian

PM Arush, maybe you can convert the old look Indica to the Indica XETA V2 complete with New Bumpers,Grill,Head Lamps Lights,Tail Lamps,Muscle Flares. The look will make a huge difference to the appeal, Plus why not go for a different colour now-Artic Silver,Mystic Blue,Salsa Red, Somehow The Golden colour makes the car look aged.

Bumpers,Grill- 7000-8000

Tail Lamps- 4000

Head Lamps- 7000

Paint Job- 15-20,000

Carpet-Roof and Floor- 4000

Just Estimated Rates.
Old 15th November 2007, 10:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Why bother with the cosmetic makeover? instead get engine full shipshape, put tyres good ones, and then spend the rest of money traveling
Old 15th November 2007, 10:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why bother with the cosmetic makeover? instead get engine full shipshape, put tyres good ones, and then spend the rest of money traveling
I will put my money that way, first tune up the engine, brakes, wheels and all. and if anything left, take to beauty saloon
Old 15th November 2007, 12:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

True, but htere is nothing wrong with the engine in the first place....only a change of the filters (maybe KnN fo rthe air filter) and a general flush is al that is required....this will hardly cost much. and the car actually needs more work in teh body and interior department and of course the tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks