Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2008, 19:16   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A coupla things

I saw in my UK edition of classic cars a Morris Minor with a Fiat DOHC engine for sale - god knows how it was fitted in

I remember reading about a Rover V8 fittedin a Morris Minor, the engine was mounted far back so the driver was siting where the rear passenger footwell was

An esteem engine could fit. Later models had an A series 100 cc engine and some people stuffed mini cooper engines in. I know people who fitted herald engines in these cars over here

It is possible but you need to be an expert in metal work
Catching up with this thread a pretty late.. just in case this information is still relevant to those who want a minor the way it is meant to be, but can't cope with it ageing engine or parts, a good option would be to fit it with 118NE engine (which had the Datsun 1200). The (curb) weight of NE is higher than a 4 door minor which means it will a good torque. You surely will have to modify the brakes as well. Check this link for some good info on this.
Minor Mania! - The Home of Morris Minors on the Web

Cheers...
Old 20th March 2008, 21:12   #17
BHPian

I think there was a Morris Minor converted to a Hot Rod for sale back in 1998 in AutoIndia magazine. I dont have the pics of it but yes i am very sure.
Old 21st March 2008, 10:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikibusa View Post
I think there was a Morris Minor converted to a Hot Rod for sale back in 1998 in AutoIndia magazine. I dont have the pics of it but yes i am very sure.

Yep! it was a while low-light morris with lots of srickers, a 1.8 isuzu engine from the conti, Dolphin differential, and so on..

Last edited by JayD : 21st March 2008 at 10:11.
Old 21st March 2008, 10:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Yep! it was a while low-light morris with lots of srickers, a 1.8 isuzu engine from the conti, Dolphin differential, gypsy rims and so on..
They were not Gypsy rims for sure! Methinks they would have been the originals cut and widened, or the Dolphin rims cut and widened.
Old 21st March 2008, 10:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Corrected it buddy!!
Old 21st March 2008, 10:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
They were not Gypsy rims for sure! Methinks they would have been the originals cut and widened, or the Dolphin rims cut and widened.
Dolphin had 10" wheels. So if you saw a larger wheel then it couldn't be Dolphin wheels.
Old 21st March 2008, 11:01   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Dolphin had 10" wheels. So if you saw a larger wheel then it couldn't be Dolphin wheels.
I dont recall exactly, but they were definitely small rims that were cut widened, its pretty likely to have been Dolhpin wheels. Of course I could be wrong. Does anyone remember which issue exactly the ad featured in? I can look it up.
Old 21st March 2008, 20:16   #23
BHPian

A Morris Minor Hot rod would look HOT !Check these pics I got from Google.The black one a has a V8 fitted for drags
Attached Thumbnails
Morris Minor hotrod?-mm_1960.jpg  

Morris Minor hotrod?-v8morris_drag.jpg  

Old 21st March 2008, 21:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Good idea and all the best for the job buddie.Would love to see it soon,lol.
ram
Old 21st March 2008, 21:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I dont recall exactly, but they were definitely small rims that were cut widened, its pretty likely to have been Dolhpin wheels. Of course I could be wrong. Does anyone remember which issue exactly the ad featured in? I can look it up.
I have this issue back home. Not sure about the Dolphin diff though, they're as weak as day old coffee (Ask me how I know )
Old 25th February 2013, 18:27   #26

Rebuilding & Modifying a Morris Minor

Hi all,
I recently came across a Morris Minor lying in a garage. Negotiating to buy it. This is my first car mod per se, so any help form you all is deeply appreciated. I will post regular updates on the progress.

first things first...
  1. The car has to be registered. I am thinking of a suitable diesel engine, but as far as I knoe the Morris was a Petrol. Is there any way I can get it registered in TamilNadu (Vellore) with a diesel engine? I am also told there is no RC book for the car. what is the procedure.
  2. Please suggest a suitable diesel engine to use.
Here are my plans so far:
  1. Preferably 15" or 16" rims - I like bigger wheels.
  2. diesel engine. I dont like Petrol - personal preference only! Im looking at an engine+gearbox set that will give me some decent response, and as fuel efficient as can be, since the body is like 5mm solid cast steel! Also preferably with OBD2 (with or without bluetooth) so I can connect to a tablet.
  3. It doesnt have e top, so Im trying to draw up a powered convertible top.
  4. I drive a Lancer SLXD so I would like to get something close to that in comfort. I know Im taking a big shot at it!
  5. I intend to keep the shape almost unaltered except for a little alteration to the headlights if I can... I like the Mercedes E280 headlights, so I am trying to see if it is possible to put it in.
  6. I love to drive, so any sound whizzes who can tell me how to get sound audible in the driver seat withe the top open and without rattling the neighborhood would be helpful.
  7. I plan to add a tablet and use a few apps to handle the OBD and navigation, so a compatible recommendation will be helpful.
  8. Budget is not unlimited, so the lower cost the better!
As far as I have found, the closest match is the Isuzu 2l engine used in Ambassador, but I feel that very sluggish. Other engines I have considered are Mitsubishi Lancer diesel 2.0, Xylo engine, Verito engine / Logan 1.5, fiat 1.3 (Linea)... all diesel engines.

Thanks in advance
Old 25th February 2013, 22:37   #27
BHPian

re: Rebuilding & Modifying a Morris Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulprv View Post
Hi all,
I recently came across a Morris Minor lying in a garage. Negotiating to buy it. This is my first car mod per se, so any help form you all is deeply appreciated. I will post regular updates on the progress.

That's quite a lot of work you have to do I suppose.you would need quite a capable mechanic to assist you.

You need to find out the dimensions of the engine bay,find an appropriate motor and figure out mounting points for the same. I think you should rule out the xylo's 2.5 m eagle.It might just be too heavy.

I doubt you would be able to get the amount of comfort you would like.What condition is the suspension components in?

Won't the Merc's headlights look a bit off on the Morris?IMHO Stock or similar ones should do.

Just my 2 cents

All the best

B O V

Last edited by GTO : 26th February 2013 at 13:35. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 26th February 2013, 13:41   #28

Re: Rebuilding & Modifying a Morris Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
That's quite a lot of work you have to do I suppose.you would need quite a capable mechanic to assist you.

You need to find out the dimensions of the engine bay,find an appropriate motor and figure out mounting points for the same. I think you should rule out the xylo's 2.5 m eagle.It might just be too heavy.

I doubt you would be able to get the amount of comfort you would like.What condition is the suspension components in?

Won't the Merc's headlights look a bit off on the Morris?IMHO Stock or similar ones should do.

Just my 2 cents

All the best

B O V

Thanks! I will note your observations of the Xylo engine. The only reason I added it in my list was for the wheel size. But I didnt consider the weight. The bay is huge.I mean its almost big enough for 2 engines! But that might also mean difficulty mounting the engine.

I do have a good mechanic, but he's in Bangalore. I am wondering what to do about that. I might have to settle for a local fellow .

I actually tried superimposing the merc lights on a morris, they looked pretty cool. Just that I dont know if it will work in practice. Will keep in mind Stock too.

The present condition of the car: it cant be even towed. It has to be lifted! It has 4 wheels but the rims are rusted and i doubt they will turn. Tyres nonexistent. Engine - seems dead, doubt any of the electricals are intact. It is basically just the shell that Im looking to resurrect. So I could do with some prayers too LOL.

Thanks. Your comments are very valuable.
Old 26th February 2013, 13:48   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulprv View Post
Is there any way I can get it registered in TamilNadu (Vellore) with a diesel engine?
Nope. Related Thread

Quote:
diesel engine. I dont like Petrol
I'm going to differ with you here. Doubt that the Morris will be your daily driver or a high miler. It's for fun right? Stick to petrol. Cheaper, simpler & easier to fix.

Quote:
I like the Mercedes E280 headlights, so I am trying to see if it is possible to put it in.
The E280 lights will look ghastly on a Minor I'd suggest keeping the looks as stock as possible. If you wish, at the most, get a nice set of wheels & tyres.

Quote:
the Isuzu 2l engine used in Ambassador
Might be too heavy & too under-powered for the Morris.

Quote:
Mitsubishi Lancer diesel 2.0, Xylo engine, Verito engine / Logan 1.5, fiat 1.3 (Linea)
All of these are modern FWD engines. Shoe-horning the same into your RWD Morris will be quite a task, to say the least.

Golden rule with restoration is to spend all your money on the mechanicals, then body & aesthetics. Leave your modifications (e-top, tablet etc.) last on the list.
Old 26th February 2013, 14:02   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope. Related Thread

I'm going to differ with you here. Doubt that the Morris will be your daily driver or a high miler. It's for fun right? Stick to petrol. Cheaper, simpler & easier to fix.
Its for fun alright, but I actually plan to drive it as my regular car.

Quote:
The E280 lights will look ghastly on a Minor I'd suggest keeping the looks as stock as possible. If you wish, at the most, get a nice set of wheels & tyres.
I plan to change the wheels and tyres. I have not decided to use the Merc lights. It was just a crazy flash thought.

Quote:
Might be too heavy & too under-powered for the Morris.
I plan to change the suspensions also. Would the diesel engine still be too heavy?

Quote:
Golden rule with restoration is to spend all your money on the mechanicals, then body & aesthetics. Leave your modifications (e-top, tablet etc.) last on the list.
Will keep in mind. I have to see if the RTO will register the vehicle first. Only then I can proceed with the rest of the stuff. If I cannot get the thing endorsed by hook or crook, I might change the idea to a complete makeover of an Ambassador. I just like the morris though!

Thanks GTO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks