Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 08:27   #1
BHPian

Honda City 2000 model Throttle body

Hi gurus,

Been facing this problem in my OHC and needs replacement of throttle body per Whitefield Honda. The problem goes like this, the car vibrates a lot when its idling, rpm when AC is on goes below 500 and vibrates more when AC is on. Researched a lot and feel its the throttle body issue. Whitefield Honda says they have cleaned it and will need replacement. Another issue is jerking when accelerating.

I took it to local mechanic and he kind of adjusted something and now the rpm doesnt dip that much as before (maybe whitelfiled honda guys deliberately tuned it to make us spend on throttle body). However it still vibrates and its annouying when waiting for signal.

I almost decided to go for the OHC throttle body with the company and was shocked to hear that the price has doubled from 14k to 28k. Was wondering if there is any other alternative and where can I source the original part or if I am getting any performance throttle body kit like holley for lesser price, where can i get them sourced.

Mods: please feel free to merge this if it seems that there is already a thread on this.

Last edited by kiran1103 : 25th November 2010 at 08:28.
Old 25th November 2010, 10:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

there is one that i saw on classifieds (before the new format of classifieds was launched). that was quoted around 10k i think. That one was a performance throttle body. but should serve your purpose.
Old 25th November 2010, 10:42   #3

Incidently i have a 2000 model OHC and got my TB replaced . Later realised it was the TPS which was faulty.Got one Tb as a spare.

Btw-My car was idiling pretty high.
Old 25th November 2010, 11:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not to do any marketing or anything per se, but I can source one for around 5-6k if you're interested.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

As per my pm, get the IACV checked before you spend money on a new TB. That is most probably the cause of the problem as a bad MAP or TPS sensor would give you a CEL in most cases and a TB is just a mechanical device, so usually nothing can go bad with it.
Old 25th November 2010, 13:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
As per my pm, get the IACV checked before you spend money on a new TB. That is most probably the cause of the problem as a bad MAP or TPS sensor would give you a CEL in most cases and a TB is just a mechanical device, so usually nothing can go bad with it.
Thanks pranav, will carry out the initial checks from a reputed mechanic. Ziggy just suggested one from Jaymahal, will be making a visit there and lets see how it goes from there.

Thank u all.
Old 25th November 2010, 14:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Also pls check whether the vaccum pipe/return has been fitted properly.
For the engine vibrations why don't you check the Engine mounts ??
Old 26th November 2010, 20:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Also pls check whether the vaccum pipe/return has been fitted properly.
For the engine vibrations why don't you check the Engine mounts ??

I second that - just had my engine mounts and bushes set right. There was a world of difference from the previous crescendo that came from under the bonnet.
Old 26th November 2010, 21:50   #9
BANNED

hi kiran

why dont you take the car to Bosch service or car nation and check with them?

as far as chennai is concerned ,here we can get spares for hyundai,honda are all available in grey market.in fact some are imported via korea and singapore
Old 27th November 2010, 07:09   #10
BHPian

as pranav has mentioned its mostly likely the iacv,cleaning the idle control valve or replacing it completely is definately a cheaper option than buying an entirely new throttle body,incase you throttle plate has worn out and the gap has increased u can always get a re-bore and just replace with the next best oversize butterfly,some people look at this as a performance mod,but in your case it will solve your purpose and for much cheaper,hope this helps,cheers,happy revving..!
Old 27th November 2010, 15:14   #11
BHPian

hi guys, i own a 2002 OHC 1.5, i have been facing a peculiar problem for quite some time now,the TB was checked and cleaned twice by the service center. The problem is that while driving at around 2-3 thousand RPM and engine suddenly starts gasping for fuel / air and starts jerking (as if its running out of fuel). I usually need to downshift and floor the accelerator , the engine comes back to normal after around 5-7 secs. Any advice on this problem would be highly appreciated.thanks
Old 27th November 2010, 16:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if this is related but My lancer recently went in for its 100,000 kms service. The main spares replaced were the spark plugs (jerking under normal operation) and timing belt.

Now the car feels lack of power and the idling is very low at 600's. The engine vibrates when the a/c is turned on. Also the engine feels rough during gearshift. I feel the spark plugs (bosch) are the issue but a knowledgeable person test drove my car and said it was the timing belt which was leading to retarded timing.

Now either the throttle body is the culprit as per your say or its the timing belt or spark plugs as per what I have found out.

I am also getting the engine bushes checked. My car goes for diagnosis on wednesday and will keep you posted.
Old 28th November 2010, 11:28   #13
BHPian

if ur idling goes to 600 only when your ac is turned on,then its most likely iac valve related,the iac valve isnt compensating enough to stabilise the rpm,so get that checked,if your timing isnt correct then your idle should behave strangely all through out irrespective of whether your ac is on or not,since this is a lancer engine you mentioned i recommend you get your map sensor checked aswel,hope this helps,cheers,happy revving..!!
Old 28th November 2010, 11:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

the idle is rough permanantly but the vibration gets through the cabin with the a/c on. Also there is also evident roughness just when the car is driven at 80kmph (neither above or below this speed.)

I did get the ecu reset. Should that also reset the map sensor? I better not go back to the dealer.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I don't know if this is related but My lancer recently went in for its 100,000 kms service. The main spares replaced were the spark plugs (jerking under normal operation) and timing belt.

Now the car feels lack of power and the idling is very low at 600's. The engine vibrates when the a/c is turned on. Also the engine feels rough during gearshift. I feel the spark plugs (bosch) are the issue but a knowledgeable person test drove my car and said it was the timing belt which was leading to retarded timing.

Now either the throttle body is the culprit as per your say or its the timing belt or spark plugs as per what I have found out.

I am also getting the engine bushes checked. My car goes for diagnosis on wednesday and will keep you posted.
If by any chance while replacing the Timing belt, was the engine mounts loosened and the engine was hoisted above n timing belts were replaced ??
If yes then Engine mounts are the culprit here. gt them tightened.

Also get your RPM adjusted to around 750-800rpm

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks