Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2016, 18:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield - "Electra" nameplate discontinued

Royal Enfield appears to have silently pulled the plug on its Electra range of motorcycles. Though the manufacturer hasn’t made any official revelation about this step yet, the Electra has now been taken off from the company's official website.

The primary reason behind the Electra's end could be limited profitability from the range. The Electra was one of the most affordable models in the company's line-up and the profit margins on it were low. On the other hand, other models were reportedly showing better sales as well as bigger profit margins. After its discontinuation, the manufacturer's portfolio now consists of the Continental GT, Himalayan, Thunderbird and the Bullet.

Media reports suggest that there is a possibility that Royal Enfield still has unsold stocks of the Electra lying in its inventory, which will be cleared in the coming months.

Source: Motoroids

Royal Enfield - "Electra" nameplate discontinued-211474437904royalenfieldbulletelectramaroon.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 21st September 2016 at 18:51.
dZired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 19:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield - "Electra nameplate" discontinued

The Electra from what I heard last was the same STD 350 in different clothes of which the sales were higher.
This can be a reason they discontinued it. It has been removed from the website more than a month ago.

The model Electra was launched in 2002 and was made up to the time cast iron engines were produced and was relaunched with the UCE engine.

Last edited by tharian : 21st September 2016 at 20:00.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 20:36   #3
BHPian

They are not using the "Electra" name. If you follow the lineage then you'll notice that they have stopped branding bikes with the 'Electra' name long back, almost a year now!

It's still available under the Standard Street >> Bullet 350 bike category.

https://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/bullet-350#!blue

RideSafe

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 21st September 2016 at 20:39.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 21:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The Electra is just the standard Bullet with electric start and disc brakes AFAIK.

Phasing it off will have nil effect if the standard Bullet comes with option of self start and disc brakes.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 22:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The Electra is just the standard Bullet with electric start and disc brakes AFAIK.

Phasing it off will have nil effect if the standard Bullet comes with option of self start and disc brakes.
The original Electra (CI Engine) was introduced with TCI (Electronic Ignition) as opposed to Points on the Std 350 & 500. That's why the name Electra. It had chrome mudguards and metallic paint in different colours to differentiate it from the Std 350. Initially it came with the drum brake. Disk brake, 5 Speed gearbox and Electric Start came later. Once the UCE was introduced there was nothing different in the engine compared to the Std 350. The only differentiator being the Mudguards, Paint scheme, Electric start and disk brake.
pedrolourenco is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 03:08   #6
BHPian

I wish they would come out with an upgraded Electra, similar looking as the Electra 65 they sold in the UK. Well its the same bike after all, but the Thunderbird type side panels give it a cleaner finish. May be launch it in 350&500 avatar just like the STD 350 & 500.

Royal Enfield - "Electra" nameplate discontinued-sixty5.jpg
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 06:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
The original Electra (CI Engine) was introduced with TCI (Electronic Ignition) as opposed to Points on the Std 350 & 500. That's why the name Electra. It had chrome mudguards and metallic paint in different colours to differentiate it from the Std 350. Initially it came with the drum brake. Disk brake, 5 Speed gearbox and Electric Start came later. Once the UCE was introduced there was nothing different in the engine compared to the Std 350. The only differentiator being the Mudguards, Paint scheme, Electric start and disk brake.
The Electra was launched with CDI ignition and later in the same year it was launched, disk brake at front was an option.
The TCI ignition was launched in 2004 along with gas shocks at the rear and the 5sp gearbox.

There was also a confusion if the STD 350 UCE had a heavier crank over the Electra UCE.

Last edited by tharian : 22nd September 2016 at 06:31.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 06:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
I wish they would come out with an upgraded Electra, similar looking as the Electra 65 they sold in the UK. Well its the same bike after all, but the Thunderbird type side panels give it a cleaner finish. May be launch it in 350&500 avatar just like the STD 350 & 500.

The Royal Enfield website already shows ES (Electric Start) versions under Bullet 350. So, you actually don't miss Electra except it's name.

For More Info: https://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/bullet-350#!silver
Wildy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The Electra was launched with CDI ignition and later in the same year it was launched, disk brake at front was an option.
The TCI ignition was launched in 2004 along with gas shocks at the rear and the 5sp gearbox.
OK I'm not sure about the dates and the CDI/TCI thing. But what I meant was the name Electra referred to the Electronic Ignition (TCI or CDI) and not electric start as many people think. Also not sure about the ES & Disk option but most of the early Electra's I saw didn't have them.

Quote:
There was also a confusion if the STD 350 UCE had a heavier crank over the Electra UCE.
AFAIK the engines are mechanically identical. There are only 3 engines; the 350, 500 and 535. The 350 and 500 came with either EFI or Carb depending on the model they were mounted on.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 10:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK I'm not sure about the dates and the CDI/TCI thing. But what I meant was the name Electra referred to the Electronic Ignition (TCI or CDI) and not electric start as many people think. Also not sure about the ES & Disk option but most of the early Electra's I saw didn't have them.
Mate tharian is absolutely right. The first generation Electra came with CDI ignition and had no CB points but retained the CI engine. It had a traditional 4 speed transmission which was changed later to 5 speed. It also had a double leading drum brake upfront and the usual oil filled shockups at the rear. It came with chrome round mudguards both front and rear. The second generation models came with disc brake upfront, electric start, 5 speed left side gearing, new improved offset front forks and gas filled rear shockups. It changed from CDI to TCI ignition as well at that time.
Quote:
AFAIK the engines are mechanically identical. There are only 3 engines; the 350, 500 and 535. The 350 and 500 came with either EFI or Carb depending on the model they were mounted on.
Mate the CI engines on the Electra and Standard were a bit different where the Standard had the famous heavy crank whereas the Electra had a lighter crank for pickup, acceleration and better fuel economy. Even now in the age of UCE the Standard is advertised as having Heavy Crank while the Electra(whose name was changed to Bullet 350 as well sometime back) doesn't come with any such specification. Now the Electra is merged under Bullet Standard 350 on the website but I am not sure if it has the heavy crank as the Standard or continues with the light crank.

There was a same confusion when people saw the CI engine without the CB points on Electra saying it is the same engine, visually Yes it was the same engine but Technically it wasn't. Reason I have mentioned above.

Also a lot of people on this thread have only looked at the cosmetic side of Electra and Standard 350. The fact is that Electra uses a different front fork design compared to Standard despite both of them being telescopic. Electra uses gas filled shock ups at the rear instead of oil filled of Standard. Electra is also a tad bit taller than Standard. One can see the difference under specifications section on RE's official website.

PS I am also appalled at the stupid websites spreading this rumour that Electra's production has stopped without having an iota of knowledge about different models. They saw that Electra was taken off the website and hence cooked their own story about its demise. Whereas it is very much alive under the category of Bullet 350 without the Electra badge. I pity those morons who make such baseless claim without doing any research.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 22nd September 2016 at 10:23. Reason: Additional Information
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 10:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mate tharian is absolutely right. The first generation Electra came with CDI ignition and had no CB points but retained the CI engine.
That's exactly what I said too. The only confusion was TCI or CDI. Both are electronic. So Electra had electronic ignition whereas Std had points.

Quote:
It had a traditional 4 speed transmission which was changed later to 5 speed. It also had a double leading drum brake upfront and the usual oil filled shockups at the rear. It came with chrome round mudguards both front and rear. The second generation models came with disc brake upfront, electric start, 5 speed left side gearing, new improved offset front forks and gas filled rear shockups. It changed from CDI to TCI ignition as well at that time.
Again some thing I said though I missed out on the shocks and other finer details.

Quote:
Mate the CI engines on the Electra and Standard were a bit different where the Standard had the famous heavy crank whereas the Electra had a lighter crank for pickup, acceleration and better fuel economy.
Sorry but this is not correct. All CI engines were the same. In the 60's or 70's they had heavy cranks, then that was changed to a very light one and later to a slightly heavier crank (but lighter that the original). This continued till the end of production. The only difference in the electra was a modified casing to accommodate the electric starter.

Quote:
Even now in the age of UCE the Standard is advertised as having Heavy Crank while the Electra(whose name was changed to Bullet 350 as well sometime back) doesn't come with any such specification. Now the Electra is merged under Bullet Standard 350 on the website but I am not sure if it has the heavy crank as the Standard or continues with the light crank.
The UCE 350 engines were identical on all models. The 500 came with either EFI or Carb.

Quote:
There was a same confusion when people saw the CI engine without the CB points on Electra saying it is the same engine, visually Yes it was the same engine but Technically it wasn't. Reason I have mentioned above.
The only difference was the starter. No difference in the crank etc.

Quote:
Also a lot of people on this thread have only looked at the cosmetic side of Electra and Standard 350.
The differences are mainly cosmetic other than the disk and starter.

Quote:
The fact is that Electra uses a different front fork design compared to Standard despite both of them being telescopic.
The fork is the same. The standard uses a cover for the tubes whereas the Electra doesn't. Open up a standard fork and check.

Quote:
Electra uses gas filled shock ups at the rear instead of oil filled of Standard. Electra is also a tad bit taller than Standard. One can see the difference on RE's official website.
This is correct.

Quote:
PS I am also appalled at the stupid websites spreading this rumour that Electra's production has stopped without having an iota of knowledge about different models. They saw that Electra was taken off the website and hence cooked their own story about its demise. Whereas it is very much alive under the category of Bullet 350 without the Electra badge. I pity those morons who make such baseless claim without doing any research.
Technically they are correct as the "Electra" is no longer produced. When Mahindra bought Kinetic, they renamed the Kinetic Nova to Mahindra Duro. Could you claim that the Kinetic Nova was still available? Similarly can you go to the Enfield website and select the Electra?
Old 22nd September 2016, 11:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's exactly what I said too. The only confusion was TCI or CDI. Both are electronic. So Electra had electronic ignition whereas Std had points.
Nope you said, "The original Electra (CI Engine) was introduced with TCI (Electronic Ignition) as opposed to Points on the Std 350 & 500". Mate you need to understand that although both CDI and TCI are electronic they function differently. I own both and I know their difference. Out of the many differences one is that an RE with CDI can be kick started with an almost dead battery while the TCI has to be push started. This is due to the technical difference between the voltage drawn by CDI as compared to TCI. I would like to reiterate it again that first generation Electra came with CDI. And so did the first generation AVL Tbird 350. I own it hence I know it.
Quote:
Again some thing I said though I missed out on the shocks and other finer details.
Yeah I own them different models hence know the finer details and differences. I am dead sure of what I type in here.
Quote:
Sorry but this is not correct. All CI engines were the same. In the 60's or 70's they had heavy cranks, then that was changed to a very light one and later to a slightly heavier crank (but lighter that the original). This continued till the end of production.
Nope again, although they looked identical they were not the same. If I start mentioning here about the differences it would run into hundreds of pages. The initial G2 series(derived from G series) on which the Bullet 350 CI engine is based on had heavy crank and an oil pressure relief valve screwed onto the bottom side left neck below the fins which was then replaced with a different design. The crank weight continued to be heavy up until B1 series engine and was later reduced sometime in 1973's. The crank weight was again reduced during the 90's where RE faced a massive backlash from Bulleteer's which prompted them to put the heavier crank back on Standard models whereas lighter cranks continued on Electra CI, I am not even mentioning AVL engines here as they are altogether different. I own a 1961 G2, 1969 B1 and 1996 CI Bullet and know the feel of crank weights while riding them and also saw it when their engines were stripped for overhauling.

Refer to this thread for more clarification.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-bullet-5.html

Post no.61
Quote:
The only difference in the electra was a modified casing to accommodate the electric starter.
Nope again the casing design was modified to accommodate the CDI based alternator and magneto and not just the electric starter. The same design was there in the first generation Electra model as well which did not have electric start.

Check this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...electra-2.html

post no. 27
Quote:
The UCE 350 engines were identical on all models.

The only difference was the starter. No difference in the crank etc.
Nope again go check the first thread I have mentioned which also has a screenshot of RE's website which categorically mentions that Bullet Standard 350 has a heavy crank. While no such thing was mentioned when UCE Electra was listed as well as CL350. You can yourself see it on RE's official website where they explicitly mention about heavy crank against Standard Bullet 350 model listed under Special Features heading.
Quote:
The differences are mainly cosmetic other than the disk and starter.
You forgot the gas filled rear shockups on the Electra as well as a different fork design.
Quote:
The fork is the same. The standard uses a cover for the tubes whereas the Electra doesn't. Open up a standard fork and check.
Mate I know it that is why I mentioned both use Telescopic fork design. I have swapped Electra fork on a Standard and believe me it is not a bolt on. It is a tad bit different than normal Standard fork, don't believe me check the oil seal on both the model forks, again look at the finer details.
Quote:
This is correct.
Glad. I wish you could've seen the specifications section when Electra UCE was listed as a separate model on RE's website. It was nowhere mentioned that the Electra had a heavy crank while being explicitly mentioned for Standard Bullet 350.
Quote:
Technically they are correct as the "Electra" is no longer produced. When Mahindra bought Kinetic, they renamed the Kinetic Nova to Mahindra Duro. Could you claim that the Kinetic Nova was still available? Similarly can you go to the Enfield website and select the Electra?
Mate my concern is not about Electra being rebadged and now tabled under Standard 350, I knew it when the name Electra was changed long time back to Bullet 350. My concern about those morons spreading rumours that Electra's production has stopped and other blah blah... with regards to less demand and low profit margin, etc. There is no official statement from RE about this.

Again your example about Kinetic and Mahindra is flawed as both are different companies, the same model does not matter. The companies are different period.

As far as your question about buying an Electra, Yes one can buy still buy it albeit with a different badge which wasn't changed overnight but done long back about 6-8 months back.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 22nd September 2016 at 11:37.
navin_v8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 10:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

I guess the thread title should be changed to the 'Electra badge being discontinued'.
The model is still listed on the website as others have mentioned.
But I wonder why they call it Bullet 350 now when the name Electra was well established. The differences between the Std 350 and this is not just the different paint schemes.
The name Bullet 350 will always stand for the good old design of the Standard with the Enfield badge on the tank.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks