Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:52   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
the 1942 Fleetmaster

The 1946 model. No cars were manufactured in 43 to 45.

The 47 version of the Fleetmaster. Note the changed grille, but no nosepiece

Finally, the 48 version. The horizontal bars protrude beyond the edge of the grille as in the 47 grille. And there is a nose piece.
Thanks for that informative comparison.

I think all manufacturers in 46-48 produced the most good looking cars for a very long time, perhaps preceeded by the 1939 year and succeeded only later in 1959. My favorites have always been the 46-48 Buick and Chrysler range. Is it possible to externally differentiate 46-48 Buicks (Super/Roadmaster) and Chryslers (Windsor/New Yorker) in a similar fashion?
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:23   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thanks for that informative comparison.

I think all manufacturers in 46-48 produced the most good looking cars for a very long time, perhaps preceeded by the 1939 year and succeeded only later in 1959. My favorites have always been the 46-48 Buick and Chrysler range. Is it possible to externally differentiate 46-48 Buicks (Super/Roadmaster) and Chryslers (Windsor/New Yorker) in a similar fashion?
Yes Karl. For example the most visible differences in the 46 / 47 / 48 Buicks are the front grilles among other things.

I will have to check on the exact differences between the Buicks or for that matter the Chryslers and post them later.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:29   #183
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Is it possible to externally differentiate 46-48 Buicks (Super/Roadmaster)
The 46 had a different grill design and 16 inch wheels. The 47 and 48's had 15 inch wheels. Further the 47 had a white steering and white dials whereas the 48 had a black steering and black dials. Further the ring around the 46/47 mascot used to break off so in 48 they introduced a small cross bar to reinforce the ring. I have not observed the cars closely to id more differences. If any they would be very minor.

Don't know all the diffs between supers and roadmasters but visually the roadmasters had a longer hood (don't know by how many inches)

Last edited by DKG : 2nd December 2009 at 12:39.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:50   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Don't know all the diffs between supers and roadmasters but visually the roadmasters had a longer hood (don't know by how many inches)
The longer hood was actually due to the longer wheelbase of the Roadmaster to house the two (optional) bigger eight cylinder engines than the Super's eight - the greenhouses probably weren't much different, but I'm not certain about that. The Super though, could also be specially ordered with a longer wheelbase, so that could again confound one. The wheelbase difference also holds true for the two Chryslers. Besides the other visual clues mentioned in the preceding posts, life got a little easier, for long-distance Buick spotters, with the 1949 model, when the Super got three portholes on the fenders and the Roadmaster four.
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks