Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2013, 16:38   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 709 Times
Default Re: Help for Ajanta Ellora Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Is it feasible?
If you can start early from Pune, say at 5 AM or so, you'll be able to do Ellora + Daulatabad on the same day. Next day can be used for visiting Ajanta. I haven't been to Aurangabad in ages, so please get this double checked from someone who has been there recently.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 17:49   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Cheers,
Vikram
Only point is not to go via Shirdi. One can get stuck.

Roads around Aurangabad quite pathetic.Kopargaon bypass to Vaijapur is just about OK. But roads around Ellora again quite bad. In spite of that it's still worth a visit. Daultabad fort looks beautiful from a distance.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 11:55   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 1,540 Times
Default Re: Help for Ajanta Ellora Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi friends,

I plan to visit Ajanta and Ellora caves starting tomorrow from Pune. How long will the drive to Aurangabad take if I start from Pune by say 7 AM? I plan to stay at Aurangabad, will it be possible to do Ellora on the same day I reach?

Or will I need two full days for Ajanta and Ellora each?

What I had in my mind was to do Ellora tomorrow itself and take sunday full day for Ajanta and possibly Lonar. Start back to Pune on Monday and do the other places in Aurangabad on the way.

Is it feasible?
These threads have more info http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...urangabad.html (Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...onar-back.html (Independence Day Weekend - Mumbai - Aurangabad - Lonar and back)
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 06:39   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default ajmer to aurangabad route query

Hi,
Planning on visiting ajanta ellora caves in few days via Ajmer.
Any suggestions on which route to take and avoid. Is via Ratlam better or via Kota, Indore?
andyonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 10:17   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,457 Times
Default Re: ajmer to aurangabad route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Hi,
Planning on visiting ajanta ellora caves in few days via Ajmer.
Any suggestions on which route to take and avoid. Is via Ratlam better or via Kota, Indore?
Where are you starting from ? Ajmer?

If yes, then Chittorh/Ratlam/Lebad/Dhule/Aurangabad.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:10   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: ajmer to aurangabad route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Where are you starting from ? Ajmer?

If yes, then Chittorh/Ratlam/Lebad/Dhule/Aurangabad.
Thanks Ampere.
I am starting from Sujangarh and want to head to Ellora. Also, what is the ideal place/city to break the Journey?
andyonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:25   #22
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,457 Times
Default Re: ajmer to aurangabad route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Thanks Ampere.
I am starting from Sujangarh and want to head to Ellora. Also, what is the ideal place/city to break the Journey?
Best place to break I guess would Indore/Ujjan. May be Ujjain as you can visit another temple.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:55   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: ajmer to aurangabad route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Best place to break I guess would Indore/Ujjan. May be Ujjain as you can visit another temple.
Seems like Ujjain is enroute via Kota. Else, how do i enter Ujjain/Indore via the route you suggested earlier, ie; Ratlam?

Also any leads on budget hotels for a family to stay nearby to Ellora / Ajanta?
andyonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:09   #24
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,457 Times
Default Re: ajmer to aurangabad route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Seems like Ujjain is enroute via Kota. Else, how do i enter Ujjain/Indore via the route you suggested earlier, ie; Ratlam?
Yes this is the route via Kota. Nice 4-lane road. To reach Ujjain Drive past Ratlam till Badnawar. Exit here for Ujjain.
Route Link

Quote:
Also any leads on budget hotels for a family to stay nearby to Ellora / Ajanta?
You should look for hotels in Aurangabad and not Ajanta Ellora. There are many; right from basic ones to 5-stars. Trip advisor should get you some. I am not aware of any. Check with others too. While visiting Ajanta you may also want to consider visiting the Lonar Lake.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd January 2014 at 11:12.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:43   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: ajmer to aurangabad route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes this is the route via Kota. Nice 4-lane road. To reach Ujjain Drive past Ratlam till Badnawar. Exit here for Ujjain.
Route Link



You should look for hotels in Aurangabad and not Ajanta Ellora. There are many; right from basic ones to 5-stars. Trip advisor should get you some. I am not aware of any. Check with others too. While visiting Ajanta you may also want to consider visiting the Lonar Lake.
If I choose to skip Ujjain, would the via Ratlam route work? Hope it would be equally stress-free and good as Ujjain-Indore?
andyonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 14:20   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Kochi
Posts: 45
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Help for Ajanta Ellora Trip

I had been to Ajanta Ellora in end Oct 2013. Stayed in Aurangabad from 28th night to 30th morning at Hotel Oberoi in Aurangabad. This is a decent budget accommodation near Osmanpura circle with car parking. They do not have a restaurant but have room service from their kitchen. Eating places are available nearby.

Ajanta needs one day to travel, see the caves and come back. Roads are bad for about 50 kms (out of 100). Ellora caves, Daulatabad, Bibi- ka-mukbara can be done on another day. Pl remember Ajanta caves are closed on Mondays and Ellora on Tuesdays.
tomchacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 18:14   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,457 Times
Default Re: ajmer to aurangabad route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
If I choose to skip Ujjain, would the via Ratlam route work? Hope it would be equally stress-free and good as Ujjain-Indore?
Ins spite of skipping Ujjain still Ratlan route would still work fine. Drive till Lebad where the 4-lane ends and divert to Mhow Pithampur. This would bypass Indore too.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 07:47   #28
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 784
Thanked: 685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

If you can start early from Pune, say at 5 AM or so, you'll be able to do Ellora + Daulatabad on the same day. Next day can be used for visiting Ajanta. I haven't been to Aurangabad in ages, so please get this double checked from someone who has been there recently.

Cheers,
Vikram
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Only point is not to go via Shirdi. One can get stuck.

Roads around Aurangabad quite pathetic.Kopargaon bypass to Vaijapur is just about OK. But roads around Ellora again quite bad. In spite of that it's still worth a visit. Daultabad fort looks beautiful from a distance.
Thank you friends. I completed the trip. Did it over the new year weekend. Details can be found here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ora-caves.html (770 Kms, 3 days & a glimpse of a Bygone Era: Ajanta and Ellora Caves)

Thanks again.
vibbs is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 20:55   #29
BHPian
 
FarPatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 153
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: Help for Ajanta Ellora Trip

Guys, am reviving this thread to ask if anyone has recent info on the road to Aurangabad from Mumbai. I'm planning to go during the Diwali break, via the Eastern Express Highway to Igatpuri, turn right at Ghoti and head east, past Vaijapur, to Aurangabad. I've been to Igatpuri-Nasik a few months ago and the roads were excellent then but I have no idea what to expect from Ghoti to Aurangabad, as well as Aurangabad to Ellora, Ajanta and Lonar Lake.
I've read up on the various travelogues here but couldn't get any current gyaan on these roads.
Have any of you been on these roads in the recent past? I believe the roads in Aurangabad are in a bad state, so any advice on whether it would be a good idea to hire a vehicle in Aurangabad to see these sights, rather than risk hurting my Ford Classic? I do want to return without problems or rattles, (or 'I told you so' from the family).
FarPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014, 11:42   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default Re: Help for Ajanta Ellora Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Guys, am reviving this thread to ask if anyone has recent info on the road to Aurangabad from Mumbai. I'm planning to go during the Diwali break, via the Eastern Express Highway to Igatpuri, turn right at Ghoti and head east, past Vaijapur, to Aurangabad. I've been to Igatpuri-Nasik a few months ago and the roads were excellent then but I have no idea what to expect from Ghoti to Aurangabad, as well as Aurangabad to Ellora, Ajanta and Lonar Lake.
I've read up on the various travelogues here but couldn't get any current gyaan on these roads.
Have any of you been on these roads in the recent past? I believe the roads in Aurangabad are in a bad state, so any advice on whether it would be a good idea to hire a vehicle in Aurangabad to see these sights, rather than risk hurting my Ford Classic? I do want to return without problems or rattles, (or 'I told you so' from the family).
The Nashik-Vaijapur-Aurangabad route is to be avoided. The Vaijapur-Aurangabad sector has some of the worst roads in MH.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lalu's first trip - Mumbai to Ajanta & Ellora varunraizada Travelogues 42 3rd March 2016 18:13
Bhopal-Ajanta-Ellora-Mahabaleshwar-Konkan-Shirdi-Bhopal columbus Route / Travel Queries 28 6th October 2015 17:30
Bangalore -> Pune -> Mahabaleshwar -> Lonavala -> Shirdi -> Ajanta & Ellora ashwinsid Route / Travel Queries 24 22nd September 2014 11:28
Bangalore to Aurangabad (Ajanta-Ellora-Lonar-Daulatabad) kishor_narayan Route / Travel Queries 27 5th November 2011 18:52
Ajanta Ellora and Lonar pramods Travelogues 31 28th November 2010 10:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks