Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 13:52   #31
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chidambaram - Cuddalore : Route Queries

Any updates on the road conditions to Chidambaram ?
Old 12th November 2015, 19:13   #32
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chidambaram - Cuddalore : Route Queries

Woahhh.... Almost 4 years since the last post in this thread. Let me cut the ribbon again.

Any suggestions on the Bangalore-Chidambaram route after the recent monsoon lashing? I was told that most of the routes are either in bad shape or completely disconnected.
Old 12th November 2015, 23:06   #33
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Chidambaram - Cuddalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post

Any suggestions on the Bangalore-Chidambaram route after the recent monsoon lashing? I was told that most of the routes are either in bad shape or completely disconnected.
The basic options don't change.

Bangalore Salem Ulundurpet Vridhachalam Chidambaram. But don't know how the route beyond Ulundurpet has deteriorated.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 09:14   #34
BHPian

Thanks Ampere.

Back to Bangalore after a short trip to CDM. Here's the route I took and the observations.

Onward: BLR - Salem - Aathur - Veppur - Virudhachalam - Kammapuram - Sethiathope - CDM (google preferred route)

Once you deviate from Salem - Kallakurichi route the roads are bad. It's worst between Virudhachalam and Sethiathope.

This route took me 7:30 hours with short breaks.

Return: CDM - Sethiathope - Vadalur - Virudhachalam - Veppur - Aathur - Salem - BLR.

Equally worse road between Vadalur - Virudhachalam. Return journey took me 8 hours with much shorter breaks than onward journey. But it was raining heavily till Vadalur. Traffic was crawling at 30 Km/hr for almost 2 hours.

Didn't try the Ulundurpet road.

Looking at the damage of roads it's gonna take months before you expect it to be better. Lot of unfinished repair work, digging on both sides to expand the roads (with water logging, you wouldn't know - atleast a feet deep), add to that the Monsoon damage.

If you have travel plans soon, better be prepared for a tiring journey especially if you have an MT. My left leg started paining within an hour.
drivingme.crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:35   #35
BHPian

Planning for a trip to Cuddalore in early July with a stop over in Thiruvannamalai. Here is the route I'm thinking of (thanks to these forums):
Bangalore > Krishnagiri > Karimangalam > Harur > Thiruvannamalai > Thirukoilure > Panruti > Nellikuppam > Cuddalore > Pondicherry > Thindivanam > Cheyyar > Arcot > Krishnagiri > Bangalore.

Comments? Also, any recent news on the road conditions between Thiruvannamalai and Cuddalore?
Old 2nd June 2016, 20:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrajdr View Post
Planning for a trip to Cuddalore in early July with a stop over in Thiruvannamalai. Here is the route I'm thinking of (thanks to these forums):
Bangalore > Krishnagiri > Karimangalam > Harur > Thiruvannamalai > Thirukoilure > Panruti > Nellikuppam > Cuddalore > Pondicherry > Thindivanam > Cheyyar > Arcot > Krishnagiri > Bangalore.

Comments? Also, any recent news on the road conditions between Thiruvannamalai and Cuddalore?

Thiruvannamalai-Thirukoilur-Villupuram is decent 2L roads. However, AFAIK, villupuram-panruti-nellikuppam-cuddalore usually won't be in good shape, though recent traveler's can give latest updates.

Cuddalore-Pondy is traffic is very high, so watch out for that, especially if you are returning after dark.
Other routes seems good to me.

-Ravi
Old 4th June 2016, 17:35   #37
BHPian

Thanks, Ravib.
Do I need to go via Villupuram? I was thinking of going from Thirkovilure to Panruti directly?

Just noticed that there are two parallel routes - via Thiruvennainallur or Periya Sevalai. Any idea which one is better?
Old 5th June 2016, 15:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Ravib.
Do I need to go via Villupuram? I was thinking of going from Thirkovilure to Panruti directly?

Just noticed that there are two parallel routes - via Thiruvennainallur or Periya Sevalai. Any idea which one is better?
Sorry, i don't have specific updates for route via Thiruvennainallur or Periya Sevalai. However my best guess is to go via Thiruvennainallur.

Going via Villupuram is 3rd alternative for you.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 18:16   #39
BHPian

Did the trip on the planned route early this month. Road conditions are good all the way to Thirukovilur.

From there till Panruti, there is road widening work going on. Be careful on those parts as there is no shoulder - in fact the road side is a good 2-3 feet lower than the road. Truckers and bus drivers play chicken with who needs to move off to the under construction road. There are reports of lots of accidents too in that stretch.

The route on the way back was quite good too - regular two lane highways till Arcot and the GQ after that.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Quote:

natrajdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 08:43   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From there till Panruti, there is road widening work going on. Be careful on those parts as there is no shoulder - in fact the road side is a good 2-3 feet lower than the road. Truckers and bus drivers play chicken with who needs to move off to the under construction road. There are reports of lots of accidents too in that stretch.
Great update!

Good to note about the road widening. So if this goes good, then would be interesting to compare the times till Panruti/Chidambaram as against the standard Salem-Ulundurpet option.
Old 1st August 2017, 18:37   #41
BHPian

Hello Guys!
Time to ask for an update on this route, considering the recent rains. How are the road conditions post Salem?
Old 1st August 2017, 19:11   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinmanuk View Post
Hello Guys!
Time to ask for an update on this route, considering the recent rains. How are the road conditions post Salem?
V Koot Road - Veppu - Vridhachalam is now a belter. Vridhachalam-Chidambaram still is average.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 20:57   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinmanuk View Post
Hello Guys!
I can attest for Veppur - Vridachalam part of the stretch to be excellent.. I assume it's the same between V Koot Road to Veppur. No idea beyond Vridachalam.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks