Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 19:51   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Chidambaram - Cuddalore : Route Queries

Hi Friends,

My family is planning for a 2 day trip to Chidambaram Temple (TN) and Hayagreeva Temple (Cuddalore). I would appreciate if any of you can help in deciding which route to drive.

Trip Days Planned - Nov 7 & 8
Car - Swift Diesel
Family of 4 adults with 1 kid
Day driving preferred
Visit purpose - Nataraja Temple and Hayagreeva Temple

As searched in Google, it gave me following route:

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri (NH7) - Thiruvannamalai (NH66) - Thirukoyil - Panruti - Chidambaram

How is the road condition of above route? Any other better roads?
Any eateries on the way?
Is there any backwater in Chidambaram? (pichavaram forest)

Appreciate your valuable inputs.
Old 27th October 2009, 20:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

Had been to Tiruvannamalai this weekend. Roads till then are good. Till Krishnagiri anyway its NH7 4 lane. Then its the Pondicherry Highway NH66. Its good though has occasional pot holes. Safe speed 70-80.

Not sure beyond that on the statehighway. Though NH66 till Tindivanam was good.
Old 28th October 2009, 02:21   #3
BHPian

The best route would be:
Bangalore-hosur-Krishnagiri-Tiruvanamalai-Pondicherry-Cuddalore

From Cuddalore, enter the town continue further for another 8-10kms to reach Tiruvahindrapuram temple which houses the Devaraja Perumal temple (only temple where Vishnu has a Netrikkan-third eye on his forehead, like Lord Shiva) at the ground level & the horse face Vishnu-Hayagreevar which is located on a small hill (one should climb 60-70 steps to reach this temple)
Hayagreevar is woshipped for knowledge, infact he is considered the Guru of Saraswati.
Both the temples (Devaraja perumal & Hayagreeva perumal) constitute a single Divyadesam, a part of the 108 Divya Desam temples dedicated to Lord Vishnu.
More info on 108 Divya Desams:Divya Desams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After finishing Tiruvahindrapuram, return back to Cuddalore & continue further down south to Chidambaram which house the famed natarajar temple, one of the Panchaboota shiva temples, where Shiva resides in the form of one of the 5 elements which are basic to creation. Chidambaram represents centuries of history and tradition and is second to none in representing the vibrant culture of India. Chidambaram has been held sacred for time immemorial for its association with the Cosmic dance of Shiva. Legend has it that upon the request of Patanjali (an incarnation of Adi Seshan) and Vyagrapadar (the sage with tiger claws), Shiva re-enacted the Dance of Bliss, to the accompaniment of music played by the celestials. All of the Devas and Gods are believed to have gathered here to witness this grand spectacle. Infact Inside this temple is another Divyadesam Vishnu temple called Tiruchitrakootam, The moolavar here is Govindaraja Perumaal in a reclining posture facing east while Taayaar is Pundarika Valli in here own sanctum. There are two festival images here; the first of the Utsavars is Parthasarathy in a seated posture, and the second is Chitrakootattilullaan
Infact both Lord Shiva & Lord Vishnu almost face each other, outside both the sanctum sanctorums, at one particular spot marked by a Rangoli, if one stands on that Rangoli one can view both the gods simultaneously
If you can leave Bangalore early, say around 3-4am you can cover both these temples & still have time to cover Tiruvanamalai (one of the greatest Shiva temples) & Tirukovilur (Divya desam Vishnu temple, a rare temple where Vishnu gives darshan with one foot on the ground & one lifted above at the sky, a sort of gymnastic/acrobatic pose.

A pictur of Tirukovilur diety:
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chidambaram - Cuddalore : Route Queries-tirukovilur.jpg  

Last edited by GSMINC : 28th October 2009 at 02:24.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thats a good point. I did not realize that your end point is Cuddalore. In that case the route through Pondycherry is the best. As I mentioned earlier I went till Tindivanam last weekend, it was good. TVMalai to Tindivanam is in a very good state and Tindivanam to Pondycherry hardly 30-40KM. So I guess that route is very good.

One issue that after you cross Krishnagiri, you will get food at TVMalai (I mean a decent restaurant). But that may be too early. Because if you start at 6, you can reach TV Malai by 10 (max) which is not lunch time. I am not sure hotels in Tindivanam.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Been to Cuddalore last month. While the Pondi Cuddalore stretch is good, there is four laning work going on between Tindivanam and Pondi (for ever it seems ! ) which means the 40km distance will take you anywhere between 45mins to an hour and a quarter depending on the time you arrive at Tindivanam. Krishnagiri Uttangarai stretch has developed quite a few potholes after the rains.
Old 28th October 2009, 10:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

The north east monsoon has commenced from yesterday (27th) and is expected to intensify in the coming days. Check road conditions once again before you leave.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:53   #7
BHPian

If you want to avoid Tindivanam-pondy bad road( work-in-progress), the better and shortest route is take tindivanam by-pass go till the tollgate which comes to vikravandi, once you cross the toll you will see the overbridge with signboard says kumbakon/tanjore diversions. Take left to the overbridge (don't incline), it will take you through the panruti or cuddalore. Road is pretty good thou it is single lane and very less traffic. There are good signboards guide you to take cuddalore directly. No need to panruti. I had to come this route last time as i missed to take the Tindivanam-pondy route. But i really saved nearly 2 hours used this route and little sceneric road as well. But you will surely miss the pondy for cheaper fuel.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
The best route would be:
Bangalore-hosur-Krishnagiri-Tiruvanamalai-Pondicherry-Cuddalore

From Cuddalore, enter the town continue further for another 8-10kms to reach Tiruvahindrapuram temple which houses the Devaraja Perumal temple (only temple where Vishnu has a Netrikkan-third eye on his forehead, like Lord Shiva) at the ground level & the horse face Vishnu-Hayagreevar which is located on a small hill (one should climb 60-70 steps to reach this temple)
Hi Shiva the deity in Tiruvaheendraapuram more popularly known as Tiruvendipuram is Devanathaswamy and not Devaraja perumal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Hi Friends,

My family is planning for a 2 day trip to Chidambaram Temple (TN) and Hayagreeva Temple (Cuddalore). I would appreciate if any of you can help in deciding which route to drive.

Trip Days Planned - Nov 7 & 8
Car - Swift Diesel
Family of 4 adults with 1 kid
Day driving preferred
Visit purpose - Nataraja Temple and Hayagreeva Temple
What you could possibly do is go to Tiruvendhipuram directly from Bangalore via Krishnagiri - TVmalai - Tirukoilur - Panruti instead of going all the way to Cuddallore and come back as you would lose a lot of time travelling from Pondy to Cuddalore and then crossing Tirupadiripuliyur town area. Once you reach Panruti you would have to continue on the same road to Cuddalore and take a deviation on your right at a place near Thiruvathigai which is about 3/4 kms from Panruti, you can ask anyone for the road to Tiruvendhipuram they would guide you. Its a small village road but nothing to worry about the road is always in decent condition. This would take you directly to Tiruvendhipuram.

Once you finish Tiruvendhipuram continue on the same road to Cuddalore and then onwards to Chidambaram. This would allow you time to explore Pichavaram mangrove forest along with possibly Trancobar fort (Tharangambadi) the same day and do Nataraja Temple the next day and come back to Bangalore directly from Chidambaram via Pondy, Cuddalore, Tindivanam, TVMalai, Krishnagiri.

Please note that the Hayagrivar temple on the hillock would close by 12 in the afternoon, plan your visit accordingly. Am PMing you my number you could give me a call in case you need more info.
Old 28th October 2009, 14:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Hi Shiva the deity in Tiruvaheendraapuram more popularly known as Tiruvendipuram is Devanathaswamy and not Devaraja perumal.
Yes, I missed that one, as I was typing around 2.00am yesterday night
Old 28th October 2009, 17:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post

What you could possibly do is go to Tiruvendhipuram directly from Bangalore via Krishnagiri - TVmalai - Tirukoilur - Panruti instead of going all the way to Cuddallore and come back as you would lose a lot of time travelling from Pondy to Cuddalore and then crossing Tirupadiripuliyur town area. Once you reach Panruti you would have to continue on the same road to Cuddalore and take a deviation on your right at a place near Thiruvathigai which is about 3/4 kms from Panruti, you can ask anyone for the road to Tiruvendhipuram they would guide you. Its a small village road but nothing to worry about the road is always in decent condition. This would take you directly to Tiruvendhipuram.

Once you finish Tiruvendhipuram continue on the same road to Cuddalore and then onwards to Chidambaram. This would allow you time to explore Pichavaram mangrove forest along with possibly Trancobar fort (Tharangambadi) the same day and do Nataraja Temple the next day and come back to Bangalore directly from Chidambaram via Pondy, Cuddalore, Tindivanam, TVMalai, Krishnagiri.

Please note that the Hayagrivar temple on the hillock would close by 12 in the afternoon, plan your visit accordingly. Am PMing you my number you could give me a call in case you need more info.
That seems to be realistic. BTW, thanks for PMing. Will contact you if needed.
How is the road condition from Krishnagiri - TVMalai - Thirukoyil - Panruti?
Monsoon has started now. I hope there should not be any issues.
Old 26th September 2010, 23:58   #11
BHPian

road conditions?

I was planning Munnar drive....which got cancelled and now we are heading to Pondicherry. Actually south of Pondicherry to Big beach resort. I have done this route in 2009 dec. Tindivanam Pondi took forever due to the four laning!! Also got a bit off track in Tiruvanamalai earlier. Driving through Pondi was also slow.
This time I am planning the Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Tiruvanmalai - Panruti-Cuddalore route and head north towards Big beach. Any one - please let me know how are the roads after Krishnagiri? Also, how do I navigate through Tiruvanamalai? Thanks in advance.
Old 27th September 2010, 00:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Go through the temple road and then ask for road to Tirukkoyilur.
The road I am told is good, but initial stretches from TV Malai is bad.

A few Kumbakonam TLs will explain this better. Please search for them.

EDIT : Check the following link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-tripping.html

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2010 at 01:03.
Old 30th September 2010, 08:38   #13
BHPian

Thanks Ampere. KKRaj's report and temple photos were fascinating. Enjoyed it. I am assuming I will reach Cuddalore by the TVMalai>Tirukoyillur>panruti route could save me 1 hour instead of the Gingee-Tinidvanam-Pondicherrry route. However, the TV Malai navigation remains. I guess I need to figure out how to get on to state highway 9. I hope I got it right in terms of navigation. See Googlemap image.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chidambaram - Cuddalore : Route Queries-tiruvanamalai.jpg  

Old 30th September 2010, 09:54   #14
Team-BHP Support

Yes that is correct. You can ask any one for the Tirukoyillur road at TV Malai and they will help you.

Only point to note: You may not have to go all the way to the temple. The diversion will be before the temple.

Once you hit the Ramana Maharishi ashram on the left, you will see a fork where left goes to the temple and leads on to Pondicherry, while right will go through a petrol bunk. I think you need to take that right and ask for further directions.

Last edited by ampere : 30th September 2010 at 10:00.
Old 9th October 2010, 17:57   #15
BHPian

Bangalore Pondicherry - which route

I just returned from Pondicherry. While going my route was Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Tiruvanamalai (TVMalai) > Thirukkoyillur > Panruti > Nellikuppam > Cuddalore > Club Mahindra/Zest Big beach resort

While returning my route was Zest > Pondicherry > Tindivanam > Gingee > Tiruvanamalai > Krishnagiri > Hosur > Bangalore

As many have reported here the stretch between Krishnagiri and Tiruvanamalai was the worst with some real craters at a place called Mathur. I had a serious flat with my new Yokohama A Drive biting the dust. (<-- this smiley was added by my son who felt the experience was nothing less!) You can read more in another post. I had to throw the tyre away and buy a new one in Pondicherry.

However, the route post Tiruvanamalai via Panruti too was not that great and forced me to drive at 40 to 60 km/hr on average. I reached my destination after some 8 hours of driving! The stretch throught TVMalai was also quite bad too. However, the 4 lane from Pondicherry outskirts to Tindivanam was fantastic and unbelieveable. Superb. I would recommend that anyone planning a Bangalore to Pondicherry/Cuddalore trip actually use this route and avoid the Panruti. The difference in distance was hardly 10-15km between these two routes (going was around 313 and return was around 328). Return took me 7 hours.

Will share some pics enroute once I get them downloaded.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks