Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2006, 12:15   #1

Help me ease my troubled mind

Hi,

As much as I hate driving in Mumbai, I finally decided to pick up a car for myself. I really want to buy the Fiesta 1.4 as I think the price is real good (6.36 onroad) but am very worried as I have heard a lot of not so very nice things about Ford and the dealers here in Mumbai. So the othe option I have (coz of the price - my budget is nothing more than 6.5) is the Hyandai Accent GLE, which albeit a good car is dated. The Honda City is not an option as I dislike its exteriors and for me visual appeal needs to be satisfied as I am a graphic designer.

Could you guys help me out on this one? If I go in for the Fiesta, am I walking into a fiery pit of expences and turmoil????

Many thanks,

Xentric
Old 7th March 2006, 12:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentric

Could you guys help me out on this one? If I go in for the Fiesta, am I walking into a fiery pit of expences and turmoil????
Well, I have the Fiesta SXI with ABS for 6 weeks now, have covered 1300 kms plus and, so far, it has not disappointed me, rather has pleasantly surprised me at times.

I have no experience about Mumbai dealers so cannot guide you on that but I do believe that the Fiesta 1.4 will be a heap better than the Accent.

And, if you have heard that Ford ASS is lousy and spares are too expensive, well, I think thats a myth - I have an Ikon for 5 years now, done 128,000 kms and have not really felt that kind of a pinch on my pockets yet; as far as dealership experiences are concerned, I believe these are more dependant on the kind of rapport you build up with them. There will always be the occasional "bad egg" but I don't think one can generalize. I've had pretty good experiences with my dealership so far (read that as "customer friendly" and "helpful").

So, I would say, go ahead and take the decision, I don't think you'll regret it!

Good luck!

Last edited by suman : 7th March 2006 at 12:43.
Old 7th March 2006, 13:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

In Mumbai - i have owned an ikon for 4 years and there has been no trouble - with the car and the dealers too - i stick with Shaman Motors here - they have always been helpful and courteous.

Dont worry - take good care of your car and it will take good care of you. rest assured you will be happy u went for the Fiesta.
Old 7th March 2006, 13:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

What I heard (from guys owning Ikons) about maintenance of Ford cars is that every time you get a service done, the bill is like 3K to 4K. And this is about free services. Comparing this to the service of my Baleno, it looks like a rip-off because all I am charged for is the oil/filter (if they are changed) which comes to 500Rs or so.
If this is indeed true, then imagine how the periodic 5K or 10K kms paid services are going to cost ? Which gives an indication of the long-term maintenance costs.
Old 7th March 2006, 13:40   #5
BHPian

I agree with supreme baleno. Its a known fact that the Ford's are very expensive to maintain and the reliabilty of their cars is not great, which is one of the reasons for Ford not being able to sell as many cars as the competetion. i am not saying that the ikon or the fiesta are insanely expensive to maintain cars, all i am trying to say is that they just are more expensive to maintain than the competition as of now.

At a budget of 6.5L,You can easily get an Accent GLE for 5.5L(discounted price) on road or even better a Baleno LXI for around about 6L.IMHO the Baleno is a far better car than the Fiesta or even the Ikon in terms of performance, ease of mainteinence, FE............... .

Hope it helps
cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 7th March 2006 at 13:51.
Old 7th March 2006, 14:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
If this is indeed true, then imagine how the periodic 5K or 10K kms paid services are going to cost ? Which gives an indication of the long-term maintenance costs.
My paid services (every 10k kms now) cost me between Rs 2 & 2.5k; this normally includes a set of brake pads as well, its costs me less when I do not have to change the pads. Other stuff that is normally always changed are the fuel & oil filters....and of course the engine oil

Last edited by suman : 7th March 2006 at 14:03.
Old 7th March 2006, 14:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
What I heard (from guys owning Ikons) about maintenance of Ford cars is that every time you get a service done, the bill is like 3K to 4K. And this is about free services.
My fist free service has cost me nothing at all. It was indeed free . So was the experience of two of my colleagues who got their first free service done. All in Bangalore.
Old 7th March 2006, 15:24   #8
BANNED

have u thought of waiting a bit for the new chevys...?? the aveo sedan no real idea bout the pricing but it looks great and is pitted against the fiesta & gang
Old 7th March 2006, 15:38   #9
BANNED

Old 7th March 2006, 15:38   #10
BANNED

avoe sedan is far right
Old 7th March 2006, 15:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the Fiesta.
It is a much better car overall unless you want performance in which case go for the Baleno.
We have a Fiesta and it has already done 2500km and its quite good.
We even have 2 Ikons which have done 80K + km and they don't require much maintainance.
Our first free service bill was 2500 bucks but that was because we got an underbody coating done.
Let's see the second service bill in 2 more months.
Old 7th March 2006, 16:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeckozzy
wher did you find thse? have more?
Old 7th March 2006, 16:11   #13

Quote:
have u thought of waiting a bit for the new chevys...?? the aveo sedan no real idea bout the pricing but it looks great and is pitted against the fiesta & gang
I did think about that but you know the chevy's are complete guzzlers. So its best to steer clear of them.
Old 7th March 2006, 16:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:

The aveo sedan is no great looker.. You see lot of them here in Dubai and no way you can compare it to the looks of optra which imo is a very good looking car...In photos the aveo looks quite cute but guys actually the car with its rounded ball like shape doesnt look that good and also gives a small car appearance

but..... im not sure whether the one here in Dubai is going to be launched in India or a better looking one...
Old 7th March 2006, 16:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Dude,

Dont buy Ford. I have owned an Ikon for over 2 years (03-Dec 05) and although the car was great to drive, its quality was not exactly brilliant. Also, the service (in Delhi) was pathetic to say the least- First from Indus Ford and then from Samara Ford. Also, the spares are very expensive.

U should go for the Baleno in this price range. Forget the looks, the car is a bomb and very fuel efficient to boot.

Alternatively, you could look at the Tata Indigo GLX(Petrol)- It is a really good car and exceptional VFM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks