Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2006, 10:33   #1
BHPian

Corolla or Cedia : What's your take?

Hi -
Have got a few good offers on the Corolla and the Cedia
Corolla - H1 ( The one without retractable mirrors, height adjustment and wooden panel ) - 75 k off - on road will be approx 10 Lacs
Cedia - Elegant - 9 lacs plus registration - 9.45 lacs on Road ( Delhi reg)

Having test driven both - Cedia is a much more fun to drive car - even in city traffic ( due to the high torque I was in 3rd gear all the way down to 25 kph) - good braking etc) dealership experience was nice too

Corolla - slightly notchy gearbox, great ride though over the bumps ( I think they have modified the suspension - till last year reviews used to say it had a very soft suspension that all the bumps through), tends to be a little jerky when starting off ( of course I am partly to blame - lack of manual driving - more of automatics - but the Cedia never gave me that feeling) - Corolla is fast - dealer/ sales guy was nice - though not as good as in case of Cedia - had a whole team out there explaining everything to me (maybe because I was one of the only 2 people in the showroom on a saturday afternoon)

I really like the Cedia - however would be good to have everyone's opinion on

Resale value ( after 2-3 years)
After Sales service
Spares costs
Fuel Efficiency ( Automags have conflicting reports on this - Autocar finds it better, Top Gear worse than Corolla)
Engine reliability ( Build quality overall of the Cedia was very good - solid car feel)

vis a vis Corolla

Thanks
Old 26th September 2006, 11:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1
After Sales service
Spares costs
Fuel Efficiency ( Automags have conflicting reports on this - Autocar finds it better, Top Gear worse than Corolla)
Engine reliability ( Build quality overall of the Cedia was very good - solid car feel)

vis a vis Corolla

Thanks
Hi Vikrant, it would be the Cedia for me any day over the Corolla. As far as your specific points are concerned -

Resale value ( after 2-3 years) - I'd say Corolla
After Sales service - Depends entirely on the dealership so if you have a good feeling about the one you took the TD in, go for Cedia
Spares costs - Dunno
Fuel Efficiency - Cedia I would think
Engine reliability - I would say Cedia any day.

Good luck on your quest, though going by what happens on this forum, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up getting brainwashed and buying neither

Last edited by suman : 26th September 2006 at 11:01.
Old 26th September 2006, 11:46   #3
BHPian

Dude you already kind of decided towards Cedia and just want to confirm ur opinion teambhp.Well your choice is good .Go for Cedia my uncle bought it and he is a happy customer.
Old 26th September 2006, 12:12   #4
BHPian

if u have sober driving habits Cedia is OK

if u want to drive around like an Esteem go for Corolla. very little maintenance and a powerful engine. tried and tested stuff.
Old 26th September 2006, 12:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Go for Cedia, Toyota is discontinuing the Corolla brand and replacing it with another gee-whiz name and different platform come 2007.
Old 26th September 2006, 13:16   #6
BHPian

Hey dude !
From the reviews that you gave of both the cars.. i feel that you should go in for the Cedia anytime !!
Old 26th September 2006, 14:49   #7
BHPian

everybody is geared towards the cedia, but it surely doesn't look as pretty as a corolla. but thats a personal opinion.
Old 26th September 2006, 14:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

I actually hate the Corolla's looks. Find the Cedia to be better looking.
Old 26th September 2006, 15:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking about going for Cedia

About your questions

Resale value ( after 2-3 years)- I would say stretch you budget and go for Civic, if you plan to sell in 2-3 years. There are chances that you would loose lot of money on both Cedia and Corolla (New model coming)

After Sales service- As Suman said, depends on the service center. Establish contacts rightaway and use them. you shoud be fine.

Spares costs -No idea
Fuel Efficiency-I don't have any first hand experience
Engine reliability- Both should be equally good and long lasting

Few things about Cedia
-I liked the interior of Elegance, and I don't like that of Sports
- I liked Sports for the looks, especially headlaps and tail lamps. Also the colors on offer are better on Sports. Elegance looks bland IMO

I hope HM guys put some thinking cap and bring the best of both worlds Cedia version someday. Till then
Old 26th September 2006, 18:42   #10
BHPian

Cedia U can even try modifying it to make it look like an EVO.
Old 27th September 2006, 08:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1
Corolla - H1 ( The one without retractable mirrors, height adjustment and wooden panel ) - 75 k off - on road will be approx 10 Lacs
Cedia - Elegant - 9 lacs plus registration - 9.45 lacs on Road ( Delhi reg)

I really like the Cedia - however would be good to have everyone's opinion on

After Sales service
Spares costs
Point 1. Are you sure its the elegance version going for 9 and not the select version? As far as I know the elegance is going for 9.87. Please check and confirm. Elegance at 9 is a good price but if it is select, you loos leather upholstery.

Do check on the assured re-sale value thingy on the cedia. its mentioned on www.mitsubishi-motors.co.in

As far as resale value goes, its tough to say as for the cedia but dont expect sterling results. Corolla at present is doing average run as far as re-sale is concerned. Expect it to fall around 5-10% with the civic's entry and price revision.

after sales service is usually better defined by the dealer quality. Dont be too excited about the pre-sales at any shop. Better explore their service station and ask some owners at the service station about how they feel.

Spares costs, I have not idea.

Fuel-efficiency- While corolla mill seems to be potent performer here with vvt-i, cedia has its leg up with a better torque curve helping preserve fuel. I would suggest you take a litre test drive of both and decide which gives better FE according to your driving style.

as far as engines are concerned both are pretty good. Corolla uses the sophisticated VVt-i while that of cedia is a big capacity standard mill.

When you are in the market to buy a car worth 10lacs, you are not bound to go wrong with any. At this price point its more about the taste and likes. If you liked the cedia go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
Go for Cedia, Toyota is discontinuing the Corolla brand and replacing it with another gee-whiz name and different platform come 2007.
Actually both the cars are on the verge of getting discontinued globally. Even cedia is being upgraded by lancer X. But it will be a different story in India with both the cars. So go with either, you will be fine.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 27th September 2006 at 08:16.
Old 27th September 2006, 12:19   #12
BHPian

Guys - feedback is really useful - thanx . Do keep your opinions coming. And yes, to Devarshi's point - it is the elegance - which is why the deal is better
Old 27th September 2006, 13:14   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Corolla without a doubt. It's evident why its one of the best selling cars in the worrrld! Besdies Toyota service is top notch!
Old 27th September 2006, 13:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

for resale value, corolla is better. say after 4 years, you decide to sell the corolla, it should fetch you around 5l, but the cedia will probably fetch you 4-4.5 l (Just Speculating). but the corolla looks odd on the outside & plush in the inside. cedia looks great outside & dont know about the inside.
Old 27th September 2006, 13:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Vikrant,

I would go for the Corolla here - even though I prefer the Mitsu. Its a faster car with more space inside (IMO) , great ride quality and airy interiors. Backed up by Toyota Service, Yyou cant go wrong.

As for the FE , both cars are too close to make FE an a deciding factor. About the gear box feel and stuff , it will take you a couple of days to get used to and sort it out.

But if your heart says "CEDIA" - well.....its an equally competent car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks