Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2006, 19:29   #1
BHPian

used car + mods within 5 lakhs - pick a car!

hey guys this is my first thread on Team-BHP..... love the work ur doing here on the forum! keep it up!!

now i'm planning to get myself a USED car. under 5L budget. i'm lookin for a good blend of performance and efficiency.

whichever car i buy i'm lookin to mod it wit the basics (performance, ice and styling) lets say i set aside abt 1 - 1.25L for the mods.

i have narrowed down to 4 cars. Swift Vxi, Esteem Lxi, Old Honda City 1.5 Type 2 and the Mitsubishi Lancer Glxi or Sfxi
lemme know wat u guys think!!
any suggestions/advice
Old 27th November 2006, 19:55   #2
elf
BANNED

Hey flipsyde, welcome to the forum.

Your budget is therefore 3.5 lakhs for purchasing your used car. I suggest you run a search through the forum for your choice of car - there's extensive information available for every car that you've listed.

Have fun & happy posting...
Old 27th November 2006, 20:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

For that kind of money you could pick up a nice OHC 1.5 type 2. It should also serve as a good platform for the mods that you intend to perform on the car.
Old 27th November 2006, 20:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Or why not a Lancer, its a amazing car and with all the things you plan to do it will become much more better. Dont go for a Esteem or a Swift. Thought they have the same engines they are poles apart from the City/Lancer in many terms.
Old 27th November 2006, 21:05   #5
BHPian

thanks elf.....i'l look around......but meanwhile any suggestion frm u or the others frm the community?

hey iraghava....i seem to be favouring the OHC 1.5 type 2 myself....but finding an unmolested ride seems to be a herculean task in chennai..... and if i do find one....they quote exhorbitant prices

hey busa regarding the lancer....a lil snooping arnd and i find tht the lancer has like so many mods available world over.....body kits and performance.....but i'm nt so sure if i'l be goin hardcore with the mods.....cos maintenance would certainly be an issue..... waddya think??

Last edited by ported_head : 27th November 2006 at 21:17.
Old 27th November 2006, 21:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just for the record I was quoted 4.7 lakh for a 2001 OHC 1.5 exi.Was put off immediately and did not even bother to enquire the kilometers it ran.
Old 27th November 2006, 22:09   #7
BHPian

why have you not considered the baleno¿
i think its a perfect blend with efficiency and performance...
Old 28th November 2006, 11:28   #8
BHPian

hi rahul 4.7 laks is daylight robbery for a 2001 OHC 1.5....... if thts gonna b the case i mite rule out OHC all-together!

hey vandan..... main reason not to go in for the baleno is tht for a 1.6l engine it still doesnt pack enough punch.... besides its not a gr8 looker as such! no offence!
Old 28th November 2006, 12:04   #9
Team-BHP Support

The options are too many
1. Buy a second hand zen and plonk in an esteem engine
2. Buy a second hand esteem and go all out on performance mods
3. OHC is a good bet too, but the price is a problem
4. Buy an Ikon and mod that
5. The craziest option, find youself a June 2002-Apr 2003 petrol Indica and tune the engine and get bodykit to make it Indica rally sport 90bhp, the car which did duty as zero car in a few rally's down south. Handling mods + Performance mods + cost of car will be around 2.5L. You are from chennai, so ask around in combaitore for the mods.
6. Fiat Palio 1.6, you will get a new one under 5L
7. Used Baleno + mods will give you great performance too.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th November 2006 at 12:07.
Old 28th November 2006, 12:15   #10
BANNED

How about an OHC 1.3 for 3 lakhs or less (I'm not sure) and 2 lakhs on an engine swap? It's been done by Ford Rocam (hope he doesn't mind me plagiarising his idea) and he seems happy with the result.

Of course you'll need the right tuner. I think Sideways is a good person to contact for help in Chennai.
Old 28th November 2006, 14:03   #11
BHPian

@tsk 1979 - actually i'm not a big fan of tata or ford or fiat..... i;ve had lotsa issues wit'em and baleno i hear doesnt exactly have a top notch engine..... i mean its good but not as tuner friendly as the esteem engine..... tht besides the ugly ***!!! i dont exactly wanna do an engine swap.... thts y i ruled out the zen
@boom shiva - sorry buddy....engine swap aint my kinda thing.... maybe effective.... but i'm not in for it.
Old 28th November 2006, 22:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The options are too many
1. Buy a second hand zen and plonk in an esteem engine
How much should an mpfi esteem engine cost? Either New or Old! Where to source it from?
Old 28th November 2006, 23:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

@flipsyde dont put off your OHC hunt completely[especially the 1.3],it is a very good car the only problem is that you will come across some greedy owners in your search for one.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 28th November 2006 at 23:44.
Old 29th November 2006, 00:05   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
hi rahul 4.7 laks is daylight robbery for a 2001 OHC 1.5....... if thts gonna b the case i mite rule out OHC all-together!

hey vandan..... main reason not to go in for the baleno is tht for a 1.6l engine it still doesnt pack enough punch.... besides its not a gr8 looker as such! no offence!
Not punch enough???

The figures wont suggest much... But the baleno has on of the sweetest engine, i guess only bettered by OHC VTec...

Plus... Its much more reliable than the lancer...

it doesnt look good, but can be made to...
Old 29th November 2006, 01:23   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandan View Post
why have you not considered the baleno¿
i think its a perfect blend with efficiency and performance...
My money is on that car!!! Perfect blend for performance and Mods!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Ummm Ummm!!! Baleno has one of the best engine which can be made into a scorcher!!!
The main benefit of a Baleno is that you can get it for a much lesser price than an OHC and get more pleasure out of it too.

If it seems ugly to you, then sorry! I think it wont suite your tastes.
But do some minor body mods like changing the Headlamps, Skirts, Spoiler etc... And the bad ugly duckling for you could be changed into a swan!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks