Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 12:40   #1
BHPian

"Desperately Seeking SEDAN"

Hi Guys!!
This is my first thread in Team BHP and I am as excited as I was when I bought my first car! Special moments always remain close to heart!

Ok now to cut to the chase, I have been looking all over the Team BHP forums for finding the answer to one simple question -

"Which sedan to buy in a budget of 8 lacs?"

I understand that in the Indian car scene, the question which looks easy is tougher to answer in real terms.
Since I am in the merchant navy and have been all around the world, I have come to see and appreciate such lovely cars on roads, some of which may never make it to India. The best part is that in a budget of 8 lacs or lets say 18000 US dollars, your buying range is extended hugely and you are really spoilt for choice.

Yes i understand.. this is India and I want to buy a sedan worth 8 lac rupees. Can anyone here pls tell me which car to buy? PERIOD!!

I have done extensive research on following cars (thanks largely to Team BHP) -
1. Ford Fiesta 1.6S
2. Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXi
3. Fiat Linea Emotion Pack petrol
4. Hyundai Verna 1.6 VTVT SX

I need a driver centric petrol car. I love to drive..more than anything else.. but i also have a family of 3 (wife +kid)

I loved the post by frankmehta on his Diamond white fiesta 1.6S. Looks stunning too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/63209-frankmehta-gets-cargasm-ford-fiesta-s-diamond-white-edit-review-pg10.html#post1422704

Also the post on the same car by Gilead
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/69929-my-blu-monster-ford-fiesta-1-6s-aquarius.html#post1594618
The Aquarius Blue color is awesome and makes me wanna fly in it!!

All the post I read about these cars appreciate them in their own ways. People who own the above cars speak very highly of them. But I need a firm answer. Which one of the above is the best.

So pls guys pick out the car for me. Righty now I feel like "Alice in Wonderland" of cars!!!!! I like all of them.
Old 30th April 2010, 19:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_rocker View Post
I need a driver centric petrol car. I love to drive..more than anything else.. but i also have a family of 3 (wife +kid)

This line pretty much seals the deal. If you love to drive, it has to be the 1.6S for you. It flies. I am a family of 3 as well so safety was important too.

The SX4 is more of an all rounder and does not offer the same driving pleasure as a 1.6S.

I found the Linea petrol to be sluggish and the Verna petrol outright useless. The SX4 drives better than both of them.

TD all four of them. If you are looking for a driver centric car, I have no doubt that you would pick the 1.6S. I am sorry to inform you that the Aquarius color has been discontinued. All the other colors are still available. Good luck.

Last edited by Gilead : 30th April 2010 at 19:29.
Old 30th April 2010, 19:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

The Susan (err... Sedan) you seek is 1.6S. Look no further.
Just grab one.
Old 30th April 2010, 19:51   #4
BHPian

Driving pleasure, it has to be Fiesta. If you can stretch a bit more on budget, consider Cedia too.

Verna Petrol, as Gilead mentioned is absolute non-sense. (No offence meant to Verna owners, this my personal opinion)

Last edited by 2500cc : 30th April 2010 at 20:00.
Old 30th April 2010, 19:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Should I again repeat what others said and going to say?

Go ahead. Fiesta is drivers car. Good luck.
Old 30th April 2010, 20:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Fiesta 1.6S is the car for you. Its the most inspiring car in that segment. How long are you going to keep this car? I think there's a new Fiesta coming early next year.
Old 30th April 2010, 23:45   #7
BHPian

re:

If I were you, I would have stretched the budget a little and pick up ANHC. As far as Ford is concerned, even those patriot Americans think twice before going for a ford car.
Old 1st May 2010, 00:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ford sold nearly 200K vehicles in America last month. I suppose the one who bought must be ultra patriotic then. Add another 200K in Europe, the highest by any manufacturer there.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

My personal choice would be a Fiesta here. I would have hesitated pre-fiesta period for a ford car..but then hearing all those praises about fiesta handling, definitely I would pick one. Add recent hit of FIGO to it

If I can get my primary criteria (drivers car) satisfied better with a saving of Rs.1.5L...Fiesta is the obvious choice

How long do u plan to retain the car? minimum 5 yrs... How about a used Civic or something on those lines..go through this. Low mileage cars would be a better option
Old 1st May 2010, 11:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you can wait, the launch of the Polo sedan aka VW Vento is expected post july. Also, the Etios sedan is expect post December.
Old 1st May 2010, 20:35   #11
BHPian

Since you are looking for a fun to drive car a fiesta offers the most enjoyable experience. but it cannot match the comfort and features offered by SX4. also IMO SX4 is the modern looking of the two. Test drive both the cars and then make your choice. also do have a look at verna crdi.
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:20   #12
BHPian

Hi Fellas!!

Thanks for those fine suggestions.

Well the verdict seems to be out and 1.6S no doubt emerges as the leader.
anyways ill be going in for a TD of all the above cars before moving my money!!
ill be keeping the car for about 3 years.
also being in merchant navy, im home for 2-3 months only at a stretch.. so i cant wait for july launch of Polo sedan because as the thread title itself says.. "desperately seeking sedan" a new car!! ASAP!!

Also it seems to be a fight between SX4 and 1.6S.. mmm i think ill say more after the TD.. lips sealed till then..
But all you wonderful guys.. you pls keep those ideas and suggestions flowing in..

hasta la vista!!
Old 6th May 2010, 11:15   #13
BHPian

Hi Captain,

If I have understood your requirement correctly, you need:
1. A Petrol Sedan in the range of 8-9 lakhs
2. Driving comfort is very important
3. A family car for all purpose
4. You want to retain the car for at least 3 years

Few more info would certainly help in a better convergence, like:
1. Is resale value important to you ?
2. Will the drive be more city oriented or highway cruize kinda?
3. How important is space to you (both interior and boot) ?

I was exactly in a similar fix few months back, as the options are varied - SX4, Fiesta, Linea, Verna, Avio, Manza, Lancer.

Finally selected SX4 for its overall VFM factor. If you could throw some light on the above questions it would be easy for a fast closure.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
If I were you, I would have stretched the budget a little and pick up ANHC. As far as Ford is concerned, even those patriot Americans think twice before going for a ford car.
Dude, making such sweeping statements adds no value to the forum.
Do you have any idea on the largest selling nameplate in Europe recently? Do you have any idea on 2010 Car of the Year/Truck Of The Year in North America?

Capt_rocker - The Fiesta 1.6S is the best driver's car. Period.
However I would suggest you TD the 1.6 SXi and 1.6S back to back on rough roads. The low speed ride in my 1.6 ZXi is not good. The 1.6S with a stiffer suspension would not help matters. The last thing you want is your family ganging against you for poor ride quality as a compromise for brilliant driving dynamics
Old 6th May 2010, 15:48   #15
BHPian

In due consideration to your requirement and the list given by you, Fiesta 1.6S is a better choice in my opinion. However always remember to look around for future releases since you're going to keep the car for 3 years to fetch a better resale value. Watch out for new Fiesta, Polo sedan, FIAT Linea multijet etc.
All of us can give various suggestions some biased and some unbiased. I suggest you do a thorough test drive (along with your family) of each of the cars you mentioned and do a deep dive analysis of ownership threads in the forum to learn about lows and highs of the car.
Good luck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks