Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2006, 22:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
I guess its 25K INR so if you are bringing in stuff from Toronto, thats abt 600CAD. Don't think you can get any high end system in that but yes regular sony/Yamaha/pioneer stuff will fit right in!
im just getting computer speakers.... ill be paying somtihng lioke $300 for them......so thts free right....
Old 2nd November 2006, 00:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
im just getting computer speakers.... ill be paying somtihng lioke $300 for them......so thts free right....
Technically should be.... But if you are flying into Mumbai, nothing actually is. These guys would definitely harass you so keep abt $10-20 in your pocket. Generally thats what they would ask for. This all just in case.. you should be able to go right thru the green channel but since you'll have the sub out and they anyways x-ray everything that you get, the speakers would also show up. So you getting a high end Logitech or a Klipsch?
Old 2nd November 2006, 01:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

I had an automotive part sent to me by someone in the USA. This was sent in April, through US Mail or whatever is USA's national postal service, of course by air. 3 days later, the online tracking shows the parcel to be at customs in Delhi. A few inquiries and frantic calls to US Mail later we found out that the parcel inevitably gets shipped to Delhi first, and then on to other cities. 3 months of painful waiting later, out of the blue I get an intimation for the parcel. Head to the cargo customs at Andheri, plead, beg, cry and pay Rs. 4000 duty on something worth close to 20k. Then take the duty paid receipt to the nearest post office and pick up the parcel from there.
Old 2nd November 2006, 01:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Technically should be.... But if you are flying into Mumbai, nothing actually is. These guys would definitely harass you so keep abt $10-20 in your pocket. Generally thats what they would ask for. This all just in case.. you should be able to go right thru the green channel but since you'll have the sub out and they anyways x-ray everything that you get, the speakers would also show up. So you getting a high end Logitech or a Klipsch?
thinking of getting the logitech z5500
Old 3rd November 2006, 13:49   #20
BHPian

Ok guys my problem solved.Tracked the package and thanks for the inputs. May be Mods wan to keep this thread for helping others out i dont know. But my part of help to future guys who want to track the where abouts of stuff ordered with Speed post shipping.

Call speed post mumbai and ask to track the shipment i.e give your Tracking number . Then they give a B Y number which will be useful to track the shipment if it is in customs clearance.

PH NOS MUMBAI

SPEED POST : 22611791

POSTAL APPRAISING DEPARTMENT: 26156311
Old 3rd November 2006, 18:48   #21
BHPian

Normally, there is a separate duty rate for courier parcels, if it is urgent and you do not want to wait for the category assesment. But the courier guy will be able to tell you the status. They will also show you proof of duty paid (normally a photocopy of all courier parcels with your docket no. included in the list).
If the port of landing is Mumbai, then the package has to be cleared through customs there only. There is no facility with courier guys to get duty bonded consignments to a seprate city and then clear through customs.
Meeting my old colleague who is a customs clearing agent today, will try and get additional gyan on this.
Old 3rd November 2006, 22:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I guess its 25K INR so if you are bringing in stuff from Toronto, thats abt 600CAD. Don't think you can get any high end system in that but yes regular sony/Yamaha/pioneer stuff will fit right in!
You r right mohit.More information is available here....
http://www.cbec.gov.in/cae/trvlers-info.htm

but if someone wants to buy from states and get it shipped to India by some courier,is this limit of 25k applies here as well or we have to pay duty even for a $100 item?I am talkinh about electronics and computer related stuff.I know shipping rate will be qute high.

vicki,do post us the details after u have met ur friends.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 3rd November 2006 at 22:19.
Old 3rd November 2006, 22:30   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
You r right mohit.More information is available here....
http://www.cbec.gov.in/cae/trvlers-info.htm

but if someone wants to buy from states and get it shipped to India by some courier,is this limit of 25k applies here as well or we have to pay duty even for a $100 item?I am talkinh about electronics and computer related stuff.I know shipping rate will be qute high.

vicki,do post us the details after u have met ur friends.

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge the duty free allowance is only for passengers and not for imports. And there are several items irrespective of the value you can carry free for personal use like laptop, mobile, camera, to name a few. Only 1 of each though.

Eg- you have to pay duty even on free brochures and catalogs. All depends on the mood of the officer. If lucky you can get electronics cleared free.

Viper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks