Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2008, 23:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
May the doctors soul rest in peace.

Car manufacturers should put a irritating buzzer when seat belt is not engaged.
Thats exactly what I mentioned. Some cars come with a more pleasing tone,while some get so irritating it makes you mad. It should be a standard fixture on all the new cars!
Old 9th January 2008, 23:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I second on that with you.

may the doctor's soul RIP
Old 9th January 2008, 23:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The red light in the dash is irritating enough for me to buckle up.
How many look at the instrument panel while driving? Very few. Its there in my Optra too. It blinks when seat belt is not used.

Old 9th January 2008, 23:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Why is that we need the Govt to step in for everything .... As educated ppl -- and Im guessing being a doctor the deceased was also educated , why didn't he wear seat belts . In such cases instead of blaming others only the concerned person can be blamed .

Govt has rules regarding helmets even ... travel through the country and you will see that 70% of the ppl don't wear helmets !! So let them suffer with head injuries as and when they happen -- and maybe from that their near and dear ones may learn to wear proper helmets !!!

May the deceased RIP !!!

But then there is one place where seat belts SHOULD NOT BE MANDATORY and thats in the hills.
. Went through a defensive driving training once where the instructor explained in rather graphic detail what role the seatbelt and the collapsible steering collum play in a collision. the problem is most people don't really appreciate the safety aspects of a seat belt and see it as an irritiant

could you explain the bit about seat belts in hills? i haven't really driven in the hills so have no context on this
Old 9th January 2008, 23:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

I dont have the belt warning in my getz prime:(
Old 10th January 2008, 00:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
I dont have the belt warning in my getz prime:(
You don't really need when you know its the best thing to use for safety reasons.
Old 10th January 2008, 00:31   #22
BHPian

Finally Kerala Govt announced the plans for 4 line NH47 and NH17. hope this will reduce accidents to a great extend. Its not only your driving skills , but the place you select for speeding also plays an important role in Road safety. May his family could cop up with this tough situation and his soul could RIP .

Same time I have a doubt: I have a habit of coming out (Pull it behind my back, between me and the backrest) of the seatbelt layer which is linked to B pillar in long drives. Will it reduce the effect of wearing it ?

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 10th January 2008 at 00:36.
Old 10th January 2008, 01:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Thats exactly what I mentioned. Some cars come with a more pleasing tone,while some get so irritating it makes you mad. It should be a standard fixture on all the new cars!
haven't you heard of a tiny little clip made specifically to insert in the belt socket to stop this sound? and another T-shirt which gives a false impression of a worn seat belt to fool cops.

who are they fooling?
Old 10th January 2008, 01:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Finally Kerala Govt announced the plans for 4 line NH47 and NH17. hope this will reduce accidents to a great extend. Its not only your driving skills , but the place you select for speeding also plays an important role in Road safety. May his family could cop up with this tough situation and his soul could RIP .

Same time I have a doubt: I have a habit of coming out (Pull it behind my back, between me and the backrest) of the seatbelt layer which is linked to B pillar in long drives. Will it reduce the effect of wearing it ?
Absolutely!! Its as good as not wearing a seatbelt.
With most 3-point system seat belts,the belt that goes across your chest tightens on impact,and thats what hold you back. If not,you'd go head on into the steering column- total disaster!.
I'd recommend that you stop this habit. Its really risky,and the whole purpose of wearing a seatbelt is defeated.
Old 10th January 2008, 01:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely!! Its as good as not wearing a seatbelt.
With most 3-point system seat belts,the belt that goes across your chest tightens on impact,and thats what hold you back. If not,you'd go head on into the steering column- total disaster!.
I'd recommend that you stop this habit. Its really risky,and the whole purpose of wearing a seatbelt is defeated.
just realised the importance of educating people, in addition to giving the safety gadgets.

dude hotchilly, what were you thinking? it's like strapping the helmet on the handle bar and expecting it to save your skull.
Old 10th January 2008, 01:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

seat belts are good for safety, but i have heard of incidents in which the victim cannot be rescued in time because the helpers were not able to unhook the seat belt.
Old 10th January 2008, 01:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
haven't you heard of a tiny little clip made specifically to insert in the belt socket to stop this sound? and another T-shirt which gives a false impression of a worn seat belt to fool cops.

who are they fooling?
Vivek,I obviously know the use of that clip. And don't get me wrong,I didn't indicate that the noise irritates me when it keeps on going off.Its only when I stop,the car remains on and the seat belt has been unfastened- the alarm keeps going off. But it still indicates to me that the seatbelts are not in use,and before I start,I put the seatbelts back on.
Old 10th January 2008, 02:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vivek,I obviously know the use of that clip. And don't get me wrong,
Oh No,

Quote:
I meant this will not work because of the gadgets people devise to fool themselves.
Old 10th January 2008, 02:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I meant this will not work because of the gadgets people devise to fool themselves.
The 1st thing many would do,is to get the sensor for the seatbelt removed.
Old 10th January 2008, 04:54   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
could you explain the bit about seat belts in hills? i haven't really driven in the hills so have no context on this
Its slightly confusing but the things is that accidents can be divided into 2 types -- head on collision and going of the road !!

Head on Collision --- Speeds in the hills are lower than what we experience in the plains . There obviously will be a few fools who come around corners faster than they should , and chances are that the person doing so would be a city driver . So probability of head on collisions is lower . Even if there is a head on , it would happen at much lower speeds and a seat belt may not have a major impact on saving a life . Thats why seat belts aint that imp ( according to me )

Going of the Road -- In the city a car doing high speeds goes over the divider on the road and into a pole . The seat belt can play an imp role and save one from injury !!! In the hills going of the road means going of and rolling and that could even be at the speed of 20 kmph ( driver dozing of ) . In such a scenario the life of the passengers is entirely in the hands of God -- one could get stuck inside the car and roll 300 ft down and survive or then maybe get thrown out and still die . When one rolls , there is no fixed pattern and impact that one may experience . With the seat belts on the passengers will stay with the car till it stops rolling but without seat belts there is a chance that they might get thrown out and survive . Thats why seat belts shudn't be compulsory in the hills , infact I make sure none of my friends wear seat belts or even lock the doors unless there is a child in the vehicle . Closed doors could have the same effect as seat belts on .

Complicated but true .... !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks