Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 13:41   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Is this turning out to be a discussion on driving habits
Driving habits can easily help. Driivng a car agressively and having a light foot can reudce fuel consumption and also reduce emessions.

Generally it is observed that if someone spots a green light and the time left is,lets say 10 seconds, the person will try to accelerate and cross the signal.
The argument here is that the amount of fuel lost on accelerating is less than what is spent idling and facing the traffic that stopped at signal.

However, if one sensibly reduces speed, then we can surely save fuel. Shutting down the engine if more than 35-40 seconds are left, then it wont harm the engine.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 21:29   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 938
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

75% of the traffic jams in Bangalore is caused by IDIOTS who drive. The rest 25% is by the IDIOTS who design roads / junctions.

So, if you calculate the amount of fuel burnt unnecessarily because of the traffic jams, it will make sense how driving habits affect traffic and in turn the amount of fuel burnt.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 11:57   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
RajaTaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tenkasi, TN
Posts: 1,056
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
75% of the traffic jams in Bangalore is caused by IDIOTS who drive. The rest 25% is by the IDIOTS who design roads / junctions.

So, if you calculate the amount of fuel burnt unnecessarily because of the traffic jams, it will make sense how driving habits affect traffic and in turn the amount of fuel burnt.
Now, if you see how many of the 75% are educated Idiots and how many of them are uneducated idiots, the findings would take you to the crux of the problem.. It is not education or literacy, but just ignorance and arrogance that cause more havoc on city roads..
RajaTaurus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blackpearl goes green - the Green Goblin (2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R EX ) BlackPearl Superbikes & Imports 99 31st October 2011 22:56
Aston Martin DB9 in Racing Green v Green Interior dubeee The International Automotive Scene 32 1st April 2011 02:36
Free the left lane - A campaign at Hyderabad satish_appasani Shifting gears 7 22nd August 2007 00:36
The Bajaj Pulsar Campaign amtak Motorbikes 7 14th April 2007 11:05
DRIVER TALENT:- How do u judge a good track driver from a good street driver memo45_m Indian Motorsport 27 18th May 2006 07:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:47.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks