Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 15:52   #1
BANNED

Best Cancer hospital in India

Hi Friends,

Could anyone let me know which hospital in India is best for Cancer treatment? The internet says a lot. Some people with experience say "Tata memorial" is the worst one, but recent surveys say it is the best.I am a bit confused after consulting different people/sites, so wanted to know this by people who have been to hospitals and found it a better place to be trusted enough.

The list of best hospitals according to a survey I found on Internet.

1. TATA Memorial Hospital - Mumbai.
Best cancer research hospital and international standard.

2. All India Institute of Medical Sciences - New Delhi.
This is India' best hospital with affordable costs.

3. P.D. Hinduja National Hospital - Mumbai.

4. Apollo Hospitals - New Delhi.

5. Cancer Institute - Chennai.

6. Indo American Cancer Centre - Hyderabad. Best cancer hospital in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.

If not any in India, please let me know of a hospital abroad which would do the BEST treatment.
Old 15th March 2010, 16:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Not much to argue about here. What about Rajiv Gandhi, Dharamshila, and Ganga Ram in Delhi.
Old 15th March 2010, 16:13   #3
BHPian

Why is there no mention of Bangalore Institute of Oncology?
Old 15th March 2010, 18:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would say that more than the hospital, the doctor maters. A bad doc at a good hospital could ruin it for you. Search for references for good doc for the type of cancer you want treatment for in any of the good hospitals.
Old 15th March 2010, 18:13   #5
BHPian

AFAIK, the Indo American hospital is one of the best. Surveys can sometimes be misleading based on the sample audience and the parameters they use to decide/ judge.

The tone of your message seemed urgent to me. I hope it is not serious. All the best.
Old 15th March 2010, 18:20   #6
BHPian

1. TATA Memorial Hospital - Mumbai.
One of the best & also cheaper

2. All India Institute of Medical Sciences - New Delhi.
One of the best & cheapest, but generally has a long waiting period. Someone may have to wait for 2-4 months for his turn to get operated, even if it is urgent!

3. P.D. Hinduja National Hospital - Mumbai.
This one is also having good reputation, but costly

4. Apollo Hospitals - New Delhi.
Good but even more costlier

5. Cancer Institute - Chennai.
No idea

6. Indo American Cancer Centre - Hyderabad.
No idea

* This are just my views
* Each cancer is a peculiar one, so one hospital may have good staff/machines/support for one type but bad for other type
Old 15th March 2010, 18:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

As jaguar mentioned do not go by Hospitals, look for best doctor around. See treatment for cancer is very standard and almost same in all hospitals.

It is the experience of doctor which decided best combination of doses at right time.

In NCR, Dr Ashok Vaid is the best, infact he is one of the best in India. Currently he is the MD of Oncology Dept at Medanta Hospital Gurgaon.

He treated my mother for Ovarian Cancer stage 3c, and by god graces, she doing good as of now.

If you can be more specific, I can also suggest some of the ayurvedic medicine and natural antioxidants she has been taking for last 1 year.

Please let me know if any other help I can provide. I wish anybody suffering at your end, recovers fast

There is not need for going broad, India has got best treatment for cancer, abroad is the options only if one wants to participate in trials, that's after all hopes for treatments are over

Dhramshila is very painful, very crowded and pathetic same is with Rajiv Gandhi, though its better than Dharmshila. Though honestly they give the same treatment that you get on Tata, Artemis, Medanata or other high profile hospitals.

They most important suggestion I can give is, if somebody need attention, wait no more and rush to hospital anyone immediately. Cancer can spread in very short time.

In my mother case it changed from Stage 2 to Stage 3c in 2 months while I was doing all this silly research of hospitals and doctors.

I can give your Doctor Ashok Vaid's and his assistant's number. You can talk to him. but you will have to visit once in case patient is in condition to travel.

Edit : Ganga Ram has got one best doctor for Kids suffering for cancer.

Last edited by rkbharat : 15th March 2010 at 18:36.
Old 15th March 2010, 18:52   #8
BANNED

Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Why is there no mention of Bangalore Institute of Oncology?
I have no idea, this was a survey result I found out on internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I would say that more than the hospital, the doctor maters. A bad doc at a good hospital could ruin it for you. Search for references for good doc for the type of cancer you want treatment for in any of the good hospitals.
That was a really helpful advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Metal View Post
AFAIK, the Indo American hospital is one of the best. Surveys can sometimes be misleading based on the sample audience and the parameters they use to decide/ judge.

The tone of your message seemed urgent to me. I hope it is not serious. All the best.
It is not very serious. Actually my Dad has some problem with his throat, from past 2 months he is facing issues like "coughing" a lot, without any cough in throat. Lately, there was a change in his voice also. Yesterday I came to know that he had an operation, and the doctors (Tata Hospital, Jamshedpur) have sent a sample for Biopsy report to a hospital in Calcutta. The doctors have told it is just a check because they don't want to take a chance of even 1%, but I have a feeling that something is wrong. No doctor sends samples for biopsy report just for the sake of it. Report results have to come on Thursday.

I am just being strong and prepared as much as I can. I don't want to lose even 1 minute of time if God forbidden something goes wrong in the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
As jaguar mentioned do not go by Hospitals, look for best doctor around. See treatment for cancer is very standard and almost same in all hospitals.

It is the experience of doctor which decided best combination of doses at right time.

In NCR, Dr Ashok Vaid is the best, infact he is one of the best in India. Currently he is the MD of Oncology Dept at Medanta Hospital Gurgaon.

He treated my mother for Ovarian Cancer stage 3c, and by god graces, she doing good as of now.

If you can be more specific, I can also suggest some of the ayurvedic medicine and natural antioxidants she has been taking for last 1 year.

Please let me know if any other help I can provide. I wish anybody suffering at your end, recovers fast

There is not need for going broad, India has got best treatment for cancer, abroad is the options only if one wants to participate in trials, that's after all hopes for treatments are over

Dhramshila is very painful, very crowded and pathetic same is with Rajiv Gandhi, though its better than Dharmshila. Though honestly they give the same treatment that you get on Tata, Artemis, Medanata or other high profile hospitals.

They most important suggestion I can give is, if somebody need attention, wait no more and rush to hospital anyone immediately. Cancer can spread in very short time.

In my mother case it changed from Stage 2 to Stage 3c in 2 months while I was doing all this silly research of hospitals and doctors.

I can give your Doctor Ashok Vaid's and his assistant's number. You can talk to him. but you will have to visit once in case patient is in condition to travel.

Edit : Ganga Ram has got one best doctor for Kids suffering for cancer.
Thanks a lott. I would love to have the doctor's contact number. As you can read above, I am a bit concerned about the time because I know time is the most essential thing for Cancer. I am not worried about money or other stuff, just that my Dad gets best attention and care.
Old 15th March 2010, 18:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tend to disagree here.. US has got one of the best treatments available for cancer. Take the example of AML, allogenic bone marrow transplant is available in ICI, Chennai averaging around 12 cases/yr.. whereby one of the best cancer hospitals would have atleast 200 guys for the same at any given time. They also have techniques which our best doctors (who travel to the conferences abroad) are not aware. All they recall is "Yes there was a pointer to that".

Trials are there.. but then thats the only probability to survive, it only happens in absolutely gone cases (advanced stages).

All what matters in cancer patients is - positive energy and strong will power to live. Easy to say, Hard to follow.
Old 15th March 2010, 20:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Doctor sends samples for biopsy report just for the sake of it. Report results have to come on Thursday.

Thanks a lott. I would love to have the doctor's contact number. As you can read above, I am a bit concerned about the time because I know time is the most essential thing for Cancer. I am not worried about money or other stuff, just that my Dad gets best attention and care.
Regarding Biopsy, its done for multiple purposes, it could be tumor but Benign and not malignant.

And if unfortunately its Malignant, whether its Metastatic or not. So wait for the report and pray for the best.

Better worry about money, because if required it can squeeze every penny out your bank. So spend wisely controlling your emotions. You will need a lot of it

No matter what is the outcome, start some Ayurvedic treatment right away. I can provide you more details, which you can start at home.
Old 15th March 2010, 20:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Honestly I did tried couple of best hospitals in US including "Johns Hopkins Ovarian Cancer Center of Excellence" and after seeing the reports and progress of treatment

This what doctor wrote(just extract of whole mail)
"In any event, I think your mother is in good hands"

I do have a friend, a very senior scientist working new treatments in Sweden, and when I inquired about Trials, he rightly opposed to go for it. Its painful without any guarantee.

Every case is different and output of treatment for very case is also different.

But that does not means one should not try consulting anybody in US or abroad. Just do not waste too much time in case of cancer.

And as you rightly said, its will to Live that matters alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
I tend to disagree here.. US has got one of the best treatments available for cancer. Take the example of AML, allogenic bone marrow transplant is available in ICI, Chennai averaging around 12 cases/yr.. whereby one of the best cancer hospitals would have atleast 200 guys for the same at any given time. They also have techniques which our best doctors (who travel to the conferences abroad) are not aware. All they recall is "Yes there was a pointer to that".

Trials are there.. but then thats the only probability to survive, it only happens in absolutely gone cases (advanced stages).

All what matters in cancer patients is - positive energy and strong will power to live. Easy to say, Hard to follow.
Old 15th March 2010, 21:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Just FYI - Rajiv Gandhi institute in Delhi is completely a money making institution. With a cousin who had leukaemia in 2003 at age 21 - the cost of his initial week there was half the cost of his total treatment at AIIMS spread over many many months.

Its decent but not worth the overhead.
Old 15th March 2010, 21:13   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Regarding Biopsy, its done for multiple purposes, it could be tumor but Benign and not malignant.

And if unfortunately its Malignant, whether its Metastatic or not. So wait for the report and pray for the best.

Better worry about money, because if required it can squeeze every penny out your bank. So spend wisely controlling your emotions. You will need a lot of it

No matter what is the outcome, start some Ayurvedic treatment right away. I can provide you more details, which you can start at home.
Am just praying for the best, but in worst scenario I just don't want to hand over the case to a Doctor and rely completely on him. I am gonna fight for it and get it from wherever required. Please forward me any details you have which could help me.. would really really be greatful.
Old 15th March 2010, 21:54   #14
BHPian

Your parents are in jamshedpur?
I know people in MGM & TMH if you want i can ask them to see the reports and if possible any help of any kind if you want please dont hesitate.

I lost my father to cancer last year and i have first hand experience of many hospitals listed here.

Last edited by dr.abhijeet : 15th March 2010 at 21:59.
Old 15th March 2010, 22:02   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
Your parents are in jamshedpur?
I know people in MGM if you want i can ask them to see the reports and if possible any help of any kind if you want please dont hesitate.

I lost my father to cancer last year and i have first hand experience of many hospitals listed here.
Yeah, I was born there. Did my studies in Bangalore and got a job here. Parents are still there, My uncle stays in Ramgarh, and I've been to that place in all summer holidays in school. I am really relieved with the support you guys are providing.

Have kept my fingers crossed and waiting for the report, will surely approach you in-case I need any help. For now, am helpless since the report has not yet come. Probably once I get the report, will forward a copy.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 15th March 2010 at 22:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks