Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 20th May 2011, 07:45   #61
Default Re: Scorpio AT: Is it suitable for Leh ladakh?

In automatics, if the engine is switched off, it should automatically become neutral. The ATF here is the clutch. In an auto tranny, the is a torque transfer case that works on a simple system of two fans facing each other. For example, if you take a table fan and place it facing another table fan and then switch one of the fans on, the other fan would automatically start turning in the same direction as the other fan is. This is the same principal in automatics. Instead of air forcing the other fan to turn it's oil that moves the other fan. If this oil isn't there, this means the transmission is disconnected from the engine. So in theory the vehicle should be in neutral as there is zero torque from the engine to the transmission and when this happens, the auto tranny automatically thinks it should move to neutral.

Try this out in your automatic. Switch off your engine when you are in gear, it will bring the vehicle into neutral. This is the reason why you cannot push start an automatic. For the gearbox to engage in any gear, you need torque applied from the engine side and not from the drive shaft end.
HillBilly is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 06:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

Nice insight there. Unfortunately though Pramod has sold his Scorpio and now drives a Yeti.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 14:51   #63

Originally Posted by carlosTHEjackal View Post

I see that the issue is not with AT but with the poor quality of the pipes. It may not be a design flaw, but poor quality of pipe supplied to mHawk.

Just that this part failed to perform; Pramod you can't say that AT vehicles are not suitable for Leh Ladakh. There may be many Endeavour's with AT which may have successfully completed Leh.
Hello Folks....

I am planning to take my Scorpio AT 2WD to Leh from Mumbai for a 25 day trip........

Do I have any reason to worry or re-think........

Please advise
fossilalan is offline   Reply With Quote