Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2012, 21:03   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatic Transmission v/s Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_s View Post
It did happen to me once, when I was teaching driving to one of my friends back in US, in Accord V6. He for some reason moved the gear lever to 2 while at 30 mph. Oh… my heart was in my mouth for a minute. But nothing happened as the speed was very low.
Hi,
Did the engine rev beyond the redline? If not what was the problem?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th October 2012, 21:55   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Did the engine rev beyond the redline? If not what was the problem?

Regards
Sutripta
The engine will definitely rev up but not anywhere close to the redline, only thing what would have happened will be jerking action due to sudden deceleration due to engine braking.
Old 19th October 2012, 22:03   #288
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Quote:
Hi,
If not what was the problem?
Would have been better phrased as
'If not, why do you consider the behavior observed as a problem?'

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 19th October 2012 at 22:04.
Old 20th October 2012, 02:01   #289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

It did happen to me once, when I was teaching driving to one of my friends back in US, in Accord V6. He for some reason moved the gear lever to 2 while at 30 mph. Oh… my heart was in my mouth for a minute. But nothing happened as the speed was very low. Never let him to drive my car again.
The Accord V6 can do about 65mph in 2nd gear, so 30mph was not an issue. Also if he tried slotting it into 2nd above 65 the gear would not move into 2nd.
Old 20th October 2012, 21:55   #290
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Precisely.
American forums are full of 'do not use the selector to shift down when in motion', and this gets repeated from time to time on our forums. However I see no rational reason for this, and till explained otherwise (not anecdotal experiences, or 'everybody knows that'), will treat it as bad information, or at best misinterpreted advice.

And yes, I have some idea of how an (epicyclic) gearbox, and a torque converter work.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 20th October 2012, 22:23   #291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It did happen to me once, when I was teaching driving to one of my friends back in US, in Accord V6. He for some reason moved the gear lever to 2 while at 30 mph. Oh… my heart was in my mouth for a minute. But nothing happened as the speed was very low. Never let him to drive my car again.
What do you think happens in tiptronic equipped cars when you downshift?
Old 21st October 2012, 00:43   #292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
^^^
Precisely.
American forums are full of 'do not use the selector to shift down when in motion', and this gets repeated from time to time on our forums. However I see no rational reason for this, and till explained otherwise (not anecdotal experiences, or 'everybody knows that'), will treat it as bad information, or at best misinterpreted advice.

And yes, I have some idea of how an (epicyclic) gearbox, and a torque converter work.

Regards
Sutripta
Exactly, you need engine braking. And most modern auto boxes have ecu's. If the speed is too high for a particular gear it won't shift to that. In fact moving the gear shifter on the move can give you extra engine braking in an emergency situation.

The only way to really destroy the gearbox is by moving/trying to move it into R while the car is going forward.
Old 7th January 2014, 17:15   #293
Senior - BHPian

Automatic gear gives
  • Easy drivability
while manual gear is known for
  • More VFM
  • Better mileage
  • Ability to drive according to your mood.
Maruti decides to combine both these into one product - Manual Automatic gear with a marginal increase in cost

The main features are
  • Marginally higher cost, not like the cost increase in case of normal automatic
  • Ability to shift without using the clutch ( The car doesn't have a clutch )
  • Ability to handle this shift automatically
And it's going to come to most Maruti models - http://m.economictimes.com/news/news...w/28451302.cms

This is truly innovative stuff from Maruti.
Old 8th January 2014, 09:57   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The only way to really destroy the gearbox is by moving/trying to move it into R while the car is going forward.
An interesting bit of information here, an A4 was going forward at about 70-80 kmph when the shifter was mistakenly moved to 'R'. Both driver and passenger looked at the gearshft in horror for a moment, expecting everything to explode and be blown to bits. Instead, the MID calmly threw up an error message which read "Error: Cannot shift into reverse" or something to that effect. I don't know if this safety feature is there even in less expensive cars.
Old 8th January 2014, 10:02   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
An interesting bit of information here, an A4 was going forward at about 70-80 kmph when the shifter was mistakenly moved to 'R'. Both driver and passenger looked at the gearshft in horror for a moment, expecting everything to explode and be blown to bits. Instead, the MID calmly threw up an error message which read "Error: Cannot shift into reverse" or something to that effect. I don't know if this safety feature is there even in less expensive cars.
Atleast in manual cars, there is no way you can shift into reverse once you start moving. The gear shifter just does not slot into reverse.

Dunno about low end auto gear boxes
Old 8th January 2014, 10:31   #296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post

Many cars do not have this protection. Well I guess its better to not try and find out
Old 8th January 2014, 10:56   #297
Senior - BHPian

In fact most AT cars do. Without standing on the brake and at standstill, the AT will usually not shift into Reverse or Park.
Old 8th January 2014, 12:07   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
In fact most AT cars do. Without standing on the brake and at standstill, the AT will usually not shift into Reverse or Park.
I know for a fact that the Hyundai 4-speed AT on our (Fluidic) Verna diesel slots into whatever your heart pleases and at whatever speeds, without so much as touching the brake. And I am talking about even shifting to P or R without the brake. It's a stepped gate shifter and hence comes with no button either. I shudder at the thought sometimes.
Old 8th January 2014, 12:32   #299
Senior - BHPian

I drove the mercedes ml 250 cdi which belonged to my friend. Its an 7 speed auto and the gear shifter is at the right side of the steering wheel just like a indicator stalk. Move the stalk up for reverse and down to drive. Jeez I was scared whether I might accidently use that stalk thinking its an indicator stalk. Good to know that there is a safety feature in case of accidental shift to reverse while driving
Old 12th January 2014, 13:01   #300
BHPian

The Honda Accord which was my previous car cannot be shifted to reverse unless at a standstill and foot on the brake This was same in all cars I've driven AFAIK.

Regarding VFM, I will not agree to the argument that manuals are VFM compared to automatics.

Last edited by vivriti : 12th January 2014 at 13:03.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks