Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2007, 02:05   #1

First problem arises with my new skoda laura (it's just 2 weeks old!)

I got my Laura two weeks ago and today (Saturday night) I faced the first problem with it. The battery indicator would stay on even after starting the car. According to the manual this means that the battery is not being charged and there is a problem with the dynamo.

I called up the 24 hr helpline number from Autobahn Mumbai and was surprised to find out that it was not a call center but just one guy answering his mobile phone and he was half asleep (the problem happened late at night). I was surprised to hear from him that the service center is not open on Sundays! Today being a Sunday I can't do anything but wait till tomorrow!

I am nervous about the kind of service I will get from the dealer especially after reading through some of the posts on team-bhp about the 'not so good' Skoda service. Ill keep posting my ongoing experience in as much detail as I can.
Old 25th February 2007, 07:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

One small test you can try. Don't know if that helps. Disconnect the battery and put it back again.
Old 25th February 2007, 07:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hey Stick shift the simplest way to check charging is to connect a digital voltmeter across the terminals when the engine is shut. Note down the readings. Start the car and leave it at idle, if the readings show any increment by say 1 volt then the charging system should be fine. Laura could be a car with different complicated electricals and I am not too technical. But I used to check my Zens alternator health this way .
Old 25th February 2007, 09:15   #4
BHPian

Just check if any of the belts slipped. I would suggest you not to start the car.
I had a major problem because of a belt failure. The battery indicator stayed on while the car was running. Since urs is a new car maybe it might not be the same problem but why take a chance

As if that was not bad getting the spares was very difficult( Well I stay in Hyd we had to get spares from Mumbai). I had to leave my car in garage for 15 days
Old 25th February 2007, 10:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
One small test you can try. Don't know if that helps. Disconnect the battery and put it back again.
That's the best advice yet. Disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds will reset all the non-memory electronics systems in your car and may solve your problem.
If not, the Skoda service centre will help you on monday.
Old 25th February 2007, 11:02   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

As moralfibre said, the quickest and hassle-free test that you can do is use a multimeter (all digital now) across the battery terminals under before/after car starting. If the battery is indeed charging you should see a higher reading when the engine is running - altho you'll need to verifiy that this is the ideal charging value.

Btw, the Laura doesnt have a dynamo - which is obsolete. It'll have an alternator
Old 26th February 2007, 21:24   #7

Thank you all for your advice, I took the car to the service center today and they were able to fix the problem. The problem arose because of the belt that drives the alternator moved out of position and stop turning the alternator. The mechanics told me it was due to a rat crawling up from under the car that may have moved the belt out of position. At first i could not believe this but they showed me some rat hair (or something that looked like rat hair) attached to the belt.

The service provided by Autobahn was satisfactory.

Now I need to figure out how to keep the rats away from my car!
Old 26th February 2007, 22:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick_shift
The mechanics told me it was due to a rat crawling up from under the car that may have moved the belt out of position.
I do have a problem to digest it. Belts are fixed tight and impossible for any rat to play around with.
Quote:
Search threads. You'll find it.
Old 26th February 2007, 23:34   #9
BHPian

Probably the guys at the service center was rat dreaming.

In all probability the rat was from planet KRYPTON or there abouts. It has to have superman like strength to be able to nudge a well tightened alternator belt off from its groove. Its the blame game over here too and rats of all things. Its plain and simple oversight by the PDI guys at the service center who failed to tighten the tensioner pulley.
Bye and wear your seat belts
Old 27th February 2007, 18:29   #10
BHPian

of all the "blameables"... rats!!!!
this is really so funny that i almost fell down laughing.

IT JUST IS NOT EASY.
it is not easy to move that serpent man!

those lousy guys and their lousy jobs.
it is the tensioner as mentioned by drpullockaran.

these incidents only strengthen my belief in 2nd hand cars. atleast the heartburn caused by the dealers is lesser.
Old 27th February 2007, 19:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
Thank you all for your advice, I took the car to the service center today and they were able to fix the problem. The problem arose because of the belt that drives the alternator moved out of position and stop turning the alternator. The mechanics told me it was due to a rat crawling up from under the car that may have moved the belt out of position. At first i could not believe this but they showed me some rat hair (or something that looked like rat hair) attached to the belt.

The service provided by Autobahn was satisfactory.

Now that has to be one of the MOST RIDICULOUS excuses to give for the belt having moved from the PULLEY, unless of course the guy had an overdose of Tm & Jerry the night before.......

Cheers
Old 27th February 2007, 19:52   #12
BHPian

What if someone ask those dealer mechs to move the fan belts without spanner. Not at all possible, that too skoda OEM belts on a Laura!!..
Old 27th February 2007, 20:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have an idea. Why don't they employ rats? They are better in moving belts and pulleys out of place!
Old 27th February 2007, 20:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The mechanics told me it was due to a rat crawling up from under the car that may have moved the belt out of position.
Now dats one example of silly excuses most car owners get from mechanics.
There is no way a rat can move the belt.

Guess, the rat did not like the new Laura!! and got a gang of rats to fiddle with the belt.

Quote:
Get a TOM to keep the Jerry away!!

Anyways..its nice the problem is solved and now you can enjoy the ride..Happy drooling
Old 27th February 2007, 21:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Rats, mice, lizards, cockroaches and other diverse fauna typically are chosier in their food choice than we think. They'd prefer something that had wings or crawled before. High speed Skoda alternator belts come last.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks