Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 21:20   #31
PPS
Senior - BHPian

re: Black smoke from diesel engines

On last occasion did not fill diesel from my regular pump, ever since then my Swift diesel has been giving out black smoke. I had filled about 3/4th of the tank at that pump & its been a week now, still no signs of the black smoke going away.
Today while returning home 1 of the warning lights came on. Its got something to do with emission diagnostics (cant remember exactly what it said in the manual). Will take it to the mechanic tomorrow. I hope its ok if i drive normally. Will check the fuel injector,fuel filter,etc as mentioned in this thread.

Black smoke from diesel engines-emi.jpg
Old 9th August 2012, 13:38   #32

Mahindra Bolero Problems

Hi...I have a technical difficulty..
Engine M2DI with Turbo with Delphi FIP

Problem is the vehicle on initial load emits a lot of black smoke..that is when the gear is engaged and on initial acceleration.

Replaced the turbocharger, egr valve and even replaced the Fuel Injection Pump with a Bosch one. Still the problem persists.

Kindly help. i have even opened the engine up to see if there are any problems. It all seems fine.

Timing Gears have been replaced and checked.
Old 9th August 2012, 18:15   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Bolero Problems

Might have been checked previously, if not, please also do check for clogged air intake, starting from the Air Filter.
Old 1st May 2013, 11:37   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi All,

I have a doubt since long. I have seen a few cars with a specific engine, spewing black smoke(comparatively much more than other cars) even when brand new. These cars are:

1) Hyundai CRDis (old/new Verna, i20)
2) Renault K9 (Logan,Sunny)
3) Bolero (mostly while cranking up the engine)

I know they are diesels but I am surprised because even a month old cars have a lot of black soot deposit on their bumpers near the exhaust. IMO it looks very ugly and its not a one off case. I have seen several such examples, some seem to be maintained very well. Imagine a shining white Fludic Verna/Sunny with a blackened bumper area. Has got anything to do with engine design or is there a flaw in some way(other than engine performance)? I know some of these engines are very reliable and long lasting, but still.

Or has anything to do with exhaust design? i20 has a bent pipe at the end where as Sunny has a straight outlet, still the end result is the same.

On the other hand, in case of the national diesel(MJD), I have seen very few examples that too in badly maintained cars.

Share your thoughts.
Old 1st May 2013, 12:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

Just yesterday I was looking at a nicely maintained blue i20 emit black smoke like an RTC bus. No idea why.
Old 1st May 2013, 12:30   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Just yesterday I was looking at a nicely maintained blue i20 emit black smoke like an RTC bus. No idea why.
Exactly what I was speaking of. Modern diesels are not expected to belch smoke, that too to the extent of ruining their own body. Even new non-turbo Indicas donot smoke the way an i20 does while accelerating. Its a different story with the CR4 Indica/Indigo which smoke more comparatively to the old Turbo/non Turbo Indica.
Old 1st May 2013, 12:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I have a doubt since long. I have seen a few cars with a specific engine, spewing black smoke(comparatively much more than other cars) even when brand new. These cars are:

2) Renault K9 (Logan,Sunny)
3) Bolero (mostly while cranking up the engine)

Share your thoughts.
Hi Buddy,

Thanks for raising this in the forum. Even i have seen multiple cars especially with Renault engine emitting alot of smoke on hard acceleration. Perhaps GTO could throw some light on this since he owns Sunny.

Thanks

Amit
Old 1st May 2013, 16:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps some cars are fitted with a soot collector and others are not?
I have noticed the same on Chevy Tavera engines. Only when they accelerate, for the first 1 or 2 seconds there is a belch of black smoke, otherwise no.

Renault engined diesels have all soot covered rear bumpers. Makes me wonder, why still they have straight pipes instead of giving it a bend at the end.
Old 1st May 2013, 18:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Makes me wonder, why still they have straight pipes instead of giving it a bend at the end.
Makes me wonder why they're allowed to ply on the road in the first place. Each time I wipe my helmet visor I collect black carbon and soot from the inside. No idea how much of these toxins are getting in to my lungs. I'm the unhappiest with cheap diesel prices esp. from the pollution point of view.
Old 1st May 2013, 18:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Makes me wonder why they're allowed to ply on the road in the first place. Each time I wipe my helmet visor I collect black carbon and soot from the inside. No idea how much of these toxins are getting in to my lungs. I'm the unhappiest with cheap diesel prices esp. from the pollution point of view.
Actually, anyway, straight or bent, up on the roof or below the vehicle, the same amount of soot and pollutants are going to be expelled. Nothing much we can do.

OT:
I ride to work most of the time, and I experience the same balck tissue when I wipe the inside of my visor. A tip, when you see one of these vehicles in front of you, slow down and let him go some distance. Eventually he will turn off somewhere.
Old 1st May 2013, 22:28   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Having owned the i20 diesel, the black smoke comes under the following conditions

-> Air filter clogged
-> Pedal to metal in 1st and 2nd gear
-> The moment when the turbo kicks in ( Blisssssssssss!)

Otherwise, it does not emit visible black smoke. If the air filter is clogged then you can see the smoke i continuously! This is the single main reason for the visible black smoke in modern diesels. Clean / Replace the air filter when you see the smoke in the IRVM and you will see the difference immediately

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 1st May 2013 at 22:31.
Old 2nd May 2013, 01:39   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Having owned the i20 diesel, the black smoke comes under the following conditions

1) Air filter clogged
2) Pedal to metal in 1st and 2nd gear
3)The moment when the turbo kicks in ( Blisssssssssss!)

Otherwise, it does not emit visible black smoke. If the air filter is clogged then you can see the smoke i continuously! This is the single main reason for the visible black smoke in modern diesels...
Hi Sagar, being an owner do you face this problem of soot on bumper?

All, I agree with the 1st point but the cars I have noticed were fairly new ones, even less than 1 month in many cases(as I judged from their Regn. no). So this point should not be applicable in this case IMO.

For points 2&3, why is it so prominent in the above cars and not so in others though all are turbo charged and similarly powerful?

PS: Similar thing is noticed in Volvos in b'lore city as well but then a Volvo is altogether a different machine and also they are poorly maintained IMO.

Last edited by ashis89 : 2nd May 2013 at 01:41.
Old 2nd May 2013, 08:31   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sagar, being an owner do you face this problem of soot on bumper?

All, I agree with the 1st point but the cars I have noticed were fairly new ones, even less than 1 month in many cases(as I judged from their Regn. no). So this point should not be applicable in this case IMO.

For points 2&3, why is it so prominent in the above cars and not so in others though all are turbo charged and similarly powerful?

PS: Similar thing is noticed in Volvos in b'lore city as well but then a Volvo is altogether a different machine and also they are poorly maintained IMO.
Yes, there is soot deposit on the bumper where the silencer is present. But this soot will be present in all the diesel cars-old and new!
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:36   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes, there is soot deposit on the bumper where the silencer is present. But this soot will be present in all the diesel cars-old and new!
I agree with you Sagar. But what I was trying to tell is that it is much more prominent in some car models, to the point of looking ugly. Where as in other models, one rarely gets to see soot deposit unless its a very badly maintained example.

Guys, please share your thoughts on this.
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:09   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
Black smoke with modern day diesel technology is more because of adulterated fuel than anything else, specially with cars like laura and e class.
It’s true, even in my pulse I get dense black smoke when I try to accelerate heavy in hill or some slope region. When I asked in service they told the same thing it is caused due to adulterated fuel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks