Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 02:01   #1
BHPian
 
Swifty2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default Swift Instrument Panel Malfunction - BCM Issue

Hi Friends,

I have a 2years old 30K driven Swift VXI ABS. Recently I got V-Kool installed from KoolCardDecor, Pune. Since I could notice that the lights in the instrument panel is always on once the ignition is switched on. This should otherwise come only when the headlights are switched on.

I showed this Sai Service MASS, Pune. They also confirmed the same. As per thier diagnosis, water has gone inside the BCM(Body Control Model). This might have happened when I installed V-Kool. When I got it installed, the V-Kool people took enough care in covering all the electricals, when they installed on the windshield, but I guess, that was not enough.

Does anyone has a solution this problem otherthan replacing the BCM? As per MASS, it could cost Rs.7.500/- including labour and taxes.

I have not gone for a replace until now, but I will. I'm planning to get it reimbursed from the KoolCarDecor, as he had promised me that, if anything happens due to the installation of V-Kool, he will pay for it.

Does anyone got this kind problem rectified?
How complex is the BCM?
Is it a plug-n-play device?

Please advice. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:31   #2
BHPian
 
Swifty2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

Just adding more details:

Otherthan the light in the instrument panel, I don't have any other electrical problems. BCM stands for Body Control Module.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 13:15   #3
BHPian
 
Swifty2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

Hello Bhpians, Please help.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 22:50   #4
BHPian
 
mmmjgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: BOM, PNQ, DXB
Posts: 398
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Swifty I think you mean the ECM - Engine control Module ?, There's nothing like a Body control Module.

You would be safer taking a second opinion from another Service center.

Can you start the engine and drive ? do you find any burning smells ?
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 07:26   #5
BHPian
 
Swifty2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Swifty I think you mean the ECM - Engine control Module ?, There's nothing like a Body control Module.

You would be safer taking a second opinion from another Service center.

Can you start the engine and drive ? do you find any burning smells ?
I asked the same question to the service advisor in Sai Service MASS, Pune. He said there is one more unit called Body Control Module for ABS versions.

My knowledge is limited on this area. If any of the Bhpian's is aware of this please reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Swifty I think you mean the ECM - Engine control Module ?, There's nothing like a Body control Module.

You would be safer taking a second opinion from another Service center.

Can you start the engine and drive ? do you find any burning smells ?
I can drive without any issues. There are no burning smells. Infact this problem was very difficult to detect. I could notice it because that's the car I drive every day. I noticed this once I got my V-Kool installed on all side include the windshield.

As per MASS, water might have gone inside the BCM unit and the tape is not working. They tested it drying of the BCM unit was an air blower and it got fixed for a moment, but the problem came back after sometime.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th November 2008 at 12:04.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:18   #6
BHPian
 
mmmjgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: BOM, PNQ, DXB
Posts: 398
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Well this explains most of it, Have the unit changed then.

Take a second opinion from the other dealers, Kothari Wheels, Wonder Cars, Chowgule (hope they are yet functional) etc.

Take atleast two opinions, generally Sai service is on the dot, however do research as your particular problem has not been faced yet by many on t-bhp.com.

Do you have a link to the manual of the ZXI ? can you share the same ?

Cheers
M M
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 16:27   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 254
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Swifty I think you mean the ECM - Engine control Module ?, There's nothing like a Body control Module.

You would be safer taking a second opinion from another Service center.

Can you start the engine and drive ? do you find any burning smells ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
I asked the same question to the service advisor in Sai Service MASS, Pune. He said there is one more unit called Body Control Module for ABS versions.

My knowledge is limited on this area. If any of the Bhpian's is aware of this please reply.
Hello there, there exists a BCM "body control module" in modern day vehicles, other than ECM-Engine control module. A BCM is nothing but a control unit for Auto-body electronics. A modern car can have 70+ electric servo motors installed just to perform body related functions, like power windows, power seats, navi, radio, lightings, lock etc etc, to operate effectively there is one central control unit called BCM.

In your case it might be a simple problem, if water got into BCM it may completely malfunction(a rare case, as BCM is deisgned to be water protected).

My suggestion: go to a good service station, get a diagnosis computer attached to BCM, it will tell you the real problem. IN most probabalities it may be a switching or logic error can be corrected by a simple reset.

electronics on one hand has simplified so many things & saved so much wiring in a modern day auto. But it is cropping up a new breed of silly problems, which are mostly corrected by reset, no nody knows why?

Last edited by arunforu1 : 6th November 2008 at 16:29.
arunforu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 17:04   #8
BHPian
 
Swifty2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
Hello there, there exists a BCM "body control module" in modern day vehicles, other than ECM-Engine control module. A BCM is nothing but a control unit for Auto-body electronics. A modern car can have 70+ electric servo motors installed just to perform body related functions, like power windows, power seats, navi, radio, lightings, lock etc etc, to operate effectively there is one central control unit called BCM.

In your case it might be a simple problem, if water got into BCM it may completely malfunction(a rare case, as BCM is deisgned to be water protected).

My suggestion: go to a good service station, get a diagnosis computer attached to BCM, it will tell you the real problem. IN most probabalities it may be a switching or logic error can be corrected by a simple reset.

electronics on one hand has simplified so many things & saved so much wiring in a modern day auto. But it is cropping up a new breed of silly problems, which are mostly corrected by reset, no nody knows why?
Hi Arun,

Thanks for the wonderful explanation.

I will be going to MASS this weekend to get my ingnitor replaced. I will ask the service people to have a check as you suggested.

I consulted morethan one MASS's(Sai Service, Kothari and Wonder Car) Pune. But none could explain what actually caused the malfunction. Even I wrote to maruti, but no reply. If they couldn't find the cause of the malfunction, I doubt they may screw-up otherthings. Otherthan the orange backlight, which come on, only when I insert the keys and switch on the battery/ignition, I don't have any other electrical issues.

I have few questions for you:
1). Is the BCM unit a plugguable unit?
2). Is it simple to install?
3). If I don't replace it, will it create problems in the future?
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 17:25   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 254
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
Hi Arun,

Thanks for the wonderful explanation.

I will be going to MASS this weekend to get my ingnitor replaced. I will ask the service people to have a check as you suggested.

I consulted morethan one MASS's(Sai Service, Kothari and Wonder Car) Pune. But none could explain what actually caused the malfunction. Even I wrote to maruti, but no reply. If they couldn't find the cause of the malfunction, I doubt they may screw-up otherthings. Otherthan the orange backlight, which come on, only when I insert the keys and switch on the battery/ignition, I don't have any other electrical issues.

I have few questions for you:
1). Is the BCM unit a plugguable unit?
2). Is it simple to install?
3). If I don't replace it, will it create problems in the future?
If you dont have any other electrical/electronic problem, its good. But as a customer you deserve a car which functions the way it supposed to be. its possible but rare to get only a particular function of BCM to be siezed due to water logging or harware damage.

Most probably its software/logic error can be corrected by reset. If your car is under warranty, insist them to replace BCM free of cost. Dont tell them water logging story due to sunfilm(sunfilm installation needs only few sprays of water not hosefull splash on interiors, make it clear to your self & dont tell it to MASS).

Your answers:

1: Yes BCM is a unit enclosed in plastic housing, mounted by 2 or more screws to BCM bracket & simply plugged via a fusible link.

2:Well theoritically its simple to install just 2 screws & a pluggable fusible link. But most common practice is to mount BCM either on Mid floor(under driver seat cross member) or firewall(behind dash board). So it may be tricky to reach depending upon location. I dont know what maruti has choosen.

3: normally there should not be anyproblem, but if you have any extended warranty plan just press them to replace it free of cost.

Some silly designs do exists, where critical components like ECM were designed to be mounted in splash prone area of vehicle where even a simple 6 inch water fording may stall the car. but none the less most ECM & BCM units are enclosed in water proof package.

normally its the terminal area (fusible link) which gets splashed & shorts the neighbouring connections temporarily, sending wrong signals to CPU (but rarely casuing permanent damage).

I guess resetting should help in your case, any BCM malfunction can be traced with a diagnosis computer available at competent & authorised workshop.

If not satisfied reach regional office of maruti in your area, they will promptly help you.

A DIY trick: I dont know if it works, take out battery connections let it disconnected for 5 minutes. thzen reconnect, i guess it should reset BCM to original state. I am not sure if it works just a guess.

Last edited by arunforu1 : 6th November 2008 at 17:29.
arunforu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 17:34   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 254
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Other opinion, get your ignition switch & headlamp/parking switch cheked, as their state (on/off) is the signal for back light to operate. There might be a simple mechanical switching error in these 2(ignition switch and parking/headlamp switch).
arunforu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 11:58   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Have you done a BCM reset just like you do for an ECU ???

Remove the -ve terminal of the battery for 15 min, press the brakes(for draining residual current) and connect again. This should reset both your ECU and BCM.

Let us know the results.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:08   #12
BHPian
 
Swifty2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Have you done a BCM reset just like you do for an ECU ???

Remove the -ve terminal of the battery for 15 min, press the brakes(for draining residual current) and connect again. This should reset both your ECU and BCM.

Let us know the results.
Hi Dadu,

Thanks a lot for the steps.

I will be going to the service station this weekend. So I will ask the mechanic to do a reset.

I have a few questions on the steps:
1). The steps seems simple and easy. Can I do it myself considering that fact that I'm beginner for the components under the hood?
2). What changes it should bring(ignore the malfunction that I have) after the reseting?
3). Should I take any necessary steps after the reset(like a short drive etc..)?

Last edited by Swifty2008 : 7th November 2008 at 12:10. Reason: add more detail
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 10:31   #13
BHPian
 
Swifty2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

Hello, I'm back after busy weekend and with some good news.

From Saturday onwards the orange light/backlight on the instrument panel is not coming as I have explained in my previous posts. Now actually I don't know why it came and how it went off .

I went to MASS on Sunday and asked them to get my ECM and BCM checked. They connected to a diagnosis device(which they said is about 4lakh rupees) and checked for any error codes. To my surprise, the device was not showing any errors and not even an error history . The SA asked me to bring in the vehicle next time when the light comes up. He also said that the light will stayon if any errors/malfunctioning is there.

Today morning also I checked and everthing seems to be working as expected.

I will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by Swifty2008 : 10th November 2008 at 10:33.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 09:23   #14
BHPian
 
Swifty2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

Everything is running fine till today. The old issues are not repeating.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 12:50   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default

Most likely culprit for this could have been water in the instrument cluster. Now that it has dried up the problem has been solved.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planning to make my own Instrument panel for ZEN Modifiedsachin Technical Stuff 11 29th October 2015 19:19
Instrument Panel RGB LED Lighting goelvaibhav Technical Stuff 17 13th August 2014 23:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks