Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 18:15   #31
BHPian

Dude Ym. One simple question WHY?. It nice to hear the sound , rush of adrenaline, but end of the day your car has not completed the " run-in" as in yet. Red lining at this juncture can be a difficult thing to digest by your engine. Moreover as Rahul has said ECU is an adaptive learner it adjusts to your driving style continuously. end of the day you might have FE issues. And that SCPA thingy was adorable.
Old 27th November 2008, 00:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry about the run in too much. Have fun with your car. Hey there is no such thing as a dumb question. Everyone lives and learns. :-)

From what I've read about Corolla's and Altis the engines are not meant for high revving like the Civic engine. Well even a lot of abuse of the Civic engine would bust it.

And let me see... I hit the rev limiter around 4 times yesterday night.. No sweat... (grins and goes happily to sleep)
Old 27th November 2008, 09:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A
you should not be worried about hitting the rev-limiter, that is precisely the reason it is there, it won't go beyond the point where it can be 'hard' on engine...
Precisely said. The revv-limiter is there so that we don't push the engine into the rpm range which can be bad for the engine (usually marked in red in the tacho).

So, while hitting the revv-limiter is not bad, what leaves a bad taste is the after-effect of it - fuel cut-off to the engine etc. So, learn to upshift just before it hits the revv-limiter. Ofcourse, don't concentrate so much on the tacho that you lose sight of the road.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:42   #34
BHPian

Is this the case with old cars too. I have never experienced it in my Zen (99 model)?
Old 27th November 2008, 09:47   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Is this the case with old cars too. I have never experienced it in my Zen (99 model)?
Cars with carbs dont face this problem, basically at such high revvs the carbs lean out completely resulting in loss of power.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Cars with carbs dont face this problem, basically at such high revvs the carbs lean out completely resulting in loss of power.
Okie, thank you. When it results in Loss of power, no matter how hard we throttle, there would not be effective accelaration right?
Old 27th November 2008, 10:00   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Okie, thank you. When it results in Loss of power, no matter how hard we throttle, there would not be effective accelaration right?
Yup. Every engine has a powerband, as long as you are in that band you will be producing the best power. Below/above this band, engine is not upto its optimum performance.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Yup. Every engine has a powerband, as long as you are in that band you will be producing the best power. Below/above this band, engine is not upto its optimum performance.
Ohh okie. Thank you for clearing it for me.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Add to all, Your ECU is logging in what you are doing with your engine. You will be caught in case you need to approch Toyota service during warrenty period.
Caught with what ? Is it illegal to hit the rev limiter ?
Old 27th November 2008, 10:27   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Is it illegal to hit the rev limiter ?
come to think of it is. Once you hit rev limiter you are doing insane speeds. Then you are over the allowed speed limit, if there is an interceptor they will catch you and fine you for overspeeding. So yes, it is illegal.

Obviously, I am just kidding. Hondadude, hitting limiter is not legal, read my previous post, I have explained it clearly.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
they did on the first generation of cielo glx

Never happened to my car - which was from the initial lot of Cielos.
Old 27th November 2008, 11:31   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Its same for other cars that I have tried on. OHC and Alto.

Secondly, I do not feel that you should be worried about hitting the rev-limiter, that is precisely the reason it is there, it won't go beyond the point where it can be 'hard' on engine...
I have tried it on the new city as well - when the car hits the limiter, there are minor jerks but what i felt in the altis was completely diff : not jerks, but the engine cutting off completely for half a sec or so
Old 27th November 2008, 12:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

As far as I remember it was more like ignition cut then fuel cut. It was like if you have ever tried to put off your ignition by turning off the key of car while accelerating (not suggesting to try with your car, and never even think of taking out the key while car is moving).

No one from Diesel camp complaining same.. Is there no limiter in diesel cars like Skoda, especially vRs.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:33   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
As far as I remember it was more like ignition cut then fuel cut. It was like if you have ever tried to put off your ignition by turning off the key of car while accelerating (not suggesting to try with your car, and never even think of taking out the key while car is moving).

No one from Diesel camp complaining same.. Is there no limiter in diesel cars like Skoda, especially vRs.
the vrs isnt a diesel. and diesel cars too have limiters.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:35   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
All cars with ECU's have limiters. Be it petrol or diesel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks