Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2008, 17:17   #1
BHPian
 
gendarmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: India
Posts: 731
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Ford Ikon Flair-Water in the cabin.

Didn't find an existing thread so posting in a new one.

Have this problem since day one, After pressure wash at the service station or spray wash with a pipe at home there's a pool of water on the front passenger side floor.
The FORD service guys say that its because of the AC vent.
Has anyone had this problem or knows what could be done to fix it?
gendarmee is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 19:18   #2
BHPian
 
white_vdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: new delhi
Posts: 842
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

i dont know about ford but this should not be happening. if its the ac vents then you will have water inside the cabin during rains also.
i wont buy that excuse. check the rubber lining around the windshield and doors.
white_vdi is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 22:43   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

Thats absurd!
Please double check it. I have posted somewhere busted ECU of an OMNI, thanks to powerwash guys It setback the owner by 14k.
SirAlec is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 23:07   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Panjim, Goa
Posts: 362
Thanked: 156 Times
Default

This is a unique problem, I haven't heard of water entering through AC vents in an Ikon or any other car for that matter, during a power wash. Get the rubber lining/ beading checked at the service centre.
Astleviz is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 23:25   #5
BHPian
 
gendarmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: India
Posts: 731
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Its a year and a half old car, yet finish 1000 miles on the odo., as in, its been sparingly used.
Haven't ever used it during rains, dont know whether it'd leak in rain.
Will try to trace the cause again'
Basically the showroom guys want me to pay for the fixing job though its happening from day one.
gendarmee is offline  
Old 21st December 2008, 23:46   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,610
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Default

Yes my Ikon also had this problem. Sometimes water leaked on the Front Left Passenger side floor. The mechanic (Non Ford A.S.S) said it was from the AC. They did some high pressure air cleaning and the problem didn't occur again.
kiku007 is offline  
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:00   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 126
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

gendarmee

the problem could with the drain of the ac vent.The outlet for the condensate to flow out of the car may be clogged with mud of something of that sort, because of which the water does not flow out. I don't know the how the drain pipe is located in the flair but generally its in the passanger foot well and passes through the firewall to drain in the engine compartment. what you can also do is, after a long drive with the ac on , park your vehicle on firm ground and then check if any water drips out, if it does not then you surely have found the reason
sanjz is offline  
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:25   #8
BHPian
 
deepgautam_qa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rajastha
Posts: 221
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
gendarmee

the problem could with the drain of the ac vent.The outlet for the condensate to flow out of the car may be clogged with mud of something of that sort, because of which the water does not flow out. I don't know the how the drain pipe is located in the flair but generally its in the passanger foot well and passes through the firewall to drain in the engine compartment. what you can also do is, after a long drive with the ac on , park your vehicle on firm ground and then check if any water drips out, if it does not then you surely have found the reason
Before going for any other option, get drain pipe cleaned.
I have faced similar problem with my Petra. Fiat A.S.S. suspected AC water tray leakage and went for a (useless) fix. I lived with the problem for a year and half until I got the clogged drain pipe cleaned.

Cheers!!!
deepgautam_qa is offline  
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:31   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 199
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

I had a similar problem in my Flair and the water used to get collected in the passanger side floor.

It used to happen only during water wash or during rains.

The problem was diagnosed to a rubber cover located in the water drain which is located between the engine bay and the cabin of the car beneath the wipers.It is on the exterme right side of the car while you are standing in front of the car.

The rubber cover could be torn/has holes/ or is moved because of wiring taken from the battery for fixing an amp or some other electronic.
zen91 is offline  
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:49   #10
BHPian
 
kbalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 102
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Didn't find an existing thread so posting in a new one.

Have this problem since day one, After pressure wash at the service station or spray wash with a pipe at home there's a pool of water on the front passenger side floor.
The FORD service guys say that its because of the AC vent.
Has anyone had this problem or knows what could be done to fix it?
Since you have mentioned it is on the front passenger side, it could be the ac leaking. How old is your car? Normally Ikons dont have this problem. They normally under perform on the cooling front. Did you have a recent refill of the gas in your aircon system?

If your car it parked on a position where it is slightly elevated position on the right then if could be a rubber seal failiure where the water enters through the extreme right as mentioned in the previous post and flows to the left.

Bottomeline: If the leak in on the left there is a 90% chance it is on the AC vent system. It might not require any change of spares but some manual work.
kbalii is offline  
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:50   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 81
Thanked: 92 Times
Smile

Even i had the same problem with 1.6er. It happens during stand still when its raining or during washing. There was a problem with the A/C filter [is that what you call the stuff on the left hand side inside the engine bay where all the dust accumulates ?!!! That stuff works when the air circulation is switched on or that's what i think ] The leak started after that. Water collects on the front passenger side floor. Once the "Filter" was repaired, the leak stopped.
sandeep_vgl is offline  
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:47   #12
BHPian
 
gendarmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: India
Posts: 731
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Yes my Ikon also had this problem. Sometimes water leaked on the Front Left Passenger side floor. The mechanic (Non Ford A.S.S) said it was from the AC. They did some high pressure air cleaning and the problem didn't occur again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
gendarmee

the problem could with the drain of the ac vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
Before going for any other option, get drain pipe cleaned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalii View Post
Since you have mentioned it is on the front passenger side, it could be the ac leaking. How old is your car?
it doesn't happen whilst running but just when it gets a wash, i.e. when we give it wash after a week or two w/o even starting it.
the car is 1 1/2 years old, always kept covered when not in use.
gendarmee is offline  
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:47   #13
BHPian
 
gendarmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: India
Posts: 731
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
I had a similar problem in my Flair and the water used to get collected in the passanger side floor.

It used to happen only during water wash or during rains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
Even i had the same problem with 1.6er. It happens during stand still when its raining or during washing. The leak started after that. Water collects on the front passenger side floor. Once the "Filter" was repaired, the leak stopped.
Exactly!
It happens during a wash.
I always have the circulator switched on, never though about that.
Opened the hood and check out, its a maze, cant figure out much!
Will try in the morning tomorrow.
gendarmee is offline  
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:20   #14
BHPian
 
deepgautam_qa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rajastha
Posts: 221
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
it doesn't happen whilst running but just when it gets a wash, i.e. when we give it wash after a week or two w/o even starting it.
the car is 1 1/2 years old, always kept covered when not in use.
I had the similar problem too. In rainy days my car cabin used to get transformed into a shallow water-pool.
I would insist to get the drain-pipe checked for clogging.

Cheers!!!
deepgautam_qa is offline  
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:32   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: mumbai
Posts: 164
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
I had a similar problem in my Flair and the water used to get collected in the passanger side floor.

It used to happen only during water wash or during rains.

The problem was diagnosed to a rubber cover located in the water drain which is located between the engine bay and the cabin of the car beneath the wipers.It is on the exterme right side of the car while you are standing in front of the car.

The rubber cover could be torn/has holes/ or is moved because of wiring taken from the battery for fixing an amp or some other electronic.
zen91 is right i had the same problem because during the ICE set up to take some wire from the battery to the head unit, that piece of rubber was removed. Get that hole fixed and hope your problem gets solved.
dkhatau is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bitten by the Ford bug-Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair arnabchak Long-Term Ownership Reviews 17 19th September 2011 12:29
Ford Ikon Flair manson Long-Term Ownership Reviews 67 25th April 2011 22:58
First Car - Ford Ikon Flair.. Please advise . siddhartha407 Hatchbacks 1 27th May 2006 12:03
Ford Ikon Flair 1.3 / Palio 1.2,1.6 - Verdict?? nitinhegde Hatchbacks 70 16th May 2006 18:47
Ford Ikon Flair or Palio 1.9D ELX? neverclever Hatchbacks 12 16th April 2006 01:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks