Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2005, 22:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
. i had a santro with 175/60 R13 tyres and even with those tyres it consistently gave me 12 kmpl !

hehe NC,
ur 175/60r13 had lesser OD than the 155/70r13.so the odod reading will show more than the actual kms.

so 12kpl would not have been the actual reading

but yeah the even the 1.1 santros give abt 12-13kpl.

so do change your driving style to use the right gear .i.e ahift to fifth gear above 30-40kph.

check ur cold tire pressures.

check ur plugs,the timing,and check if the air filter is clogged.
check if the brakes are binding.

as your car ahs done 20k kms,clean the injectors and decarbonise teh engine as well.
Old 20th April 2005, 23:25   #17
BHPian

so whats all the fuss abt the palio being a fuel guzzler....i own a palio and it gives me around 11 kmpl w/o AC, heavy foot on the pedal, driving only in the streets (with abt a dozen speedbreakers), and my friends tease me abt the FE figure of my ride...
look i dont mean to hurt anyone's feelings here but it kinda is a lil relaxing to know abt the avg santro FE figure.
i dont have a license yet so most of my driving is within 10-12 kms from home that is the reason i said "driving in the streets"
Old 21st April 2005, 01:21   #18
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well.. its just how and where u drive.... i have a range.. of 10 to 15 on my WagonR in city!! (with a/c).

Maybe your driver.. ripped the car in those 3 gears.. in the run-in period....
Old 21st April 2005, 01:34   #19
BANNED

No Guys.the Thing Is That The Old Santro,the First One Had The Fuel Average Of About 12 To 14 Kmpl Without Ac.but The Xing Thing Has Got More Power,more Bhp,thats Y It Gives Low Mileage.and By The Way Amit,11 On Palio In A City That 2 In Small Lanes Witha Lots Of Speed Buggers?woah Man........ Thats Cool.
Old 21st April 2005, 02:01   #20
BHPian

@twister: really why, its with a/c off.. btw i have the nv sports...
Old 21st April 2005, 10:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Xing Thing Has Got More Power,more Bhp,thats Y It Gives Low Mileage.
I've had experience with a santro xing...and it still manages about 12kmpl in the city.

Drifter
Old 21st April 2005, 14:52   #22
F50
Senior - BHPian

No Santro does give some where around 12 or 13 kmpl. When I took my car to Surat it gave me around 16.7 kmpl, no issues. And currently I think it gives a bit low avg. may be because my exhaust is broken.
Old 21st April 2005, 16:19   #23
BHPian

My dad's santro is the old one, and gives him 14-15 in city with Ac on all the time. This is Pune city. Do check your driving. Don't keep your foot on the clutch while driving, and reduce the braking effort by anticipating what the others on the road are doing and also the potholes and speed breakers.

My Zen gives 17, AC on 50% of the time. this may also be due to me going easy on the car sicne it is running in currently.
Old 21st April 2005, 17:13   #24
BHPian

Take a mileage test of your own.Top your tank to the brim,shake the car from side to side while filling up.A word of caution,this could be time consuming and frustrating.Every time you shake and fill up the fuel will come to the brim,but as soon as you shake,it will go down again....so take your time.If you fail to fill up properly during either fillind,you'll never get the correct figure.Set your tripmeter to zero,drive for a few designated kms,either in the city or the outskirts depending on where you want to test it,without a/c.Stop at the halfway point and turn around to the filling station.Drive with the window glasses rolled-up,leave a bit in the front for ventilation and drive at a steady pace between 50-60kph,without revving too much and fewer sudden brakes. Then top-up again,by the old shake-fill method.If you calculate the fuel filled after your test with the kms done,you'll get your exact FE.Now you'll be able to know the potential FE of your car.Obviously,it'll dip when you switch on the A/c and in city conditions,but then you can be sure if there's something wrong with your car or the driving style.Or even better,ask your dealer to do a mileage test in your car,and go along for the ride.They have accurate test equipments and should be able to sort out any problems found from the test results,if any.Anywhere between 13-16kpl (without A/c) is fine.Just for the record,my Santro Xing XS ABS gives an FE of 13-14kpl (with A/c),and I'm no slow coach either.
Old 13th May 2006, 12:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakr
well..the car was just driver maintained...mostly....like it had 4 drivers on it in the period of 6 months..since i could nt find a single driver who would stay consistently in bangalore...may be that might have caused the fuel effeciency go low..right now its just me driving..so..i am taking good care of it.
Dude,
Are you sure, ur low efficency is not due to ur driver stealing fuel or some such thing? I am not saying anything, but lots of times, these are prime reasons for poor economy.

Ravi
Old 13th May 2006, 13:17   #26
aZa
Senior - BHPian

freakr ... get ur car serviced and checked throughly. Now that its just you driving therefore the fuel theft by drivers is out of the question. I have a Xing XS and it consistently gives me 13-15 with AC on a 50-50 City-highway situation. Even with full pedal to metal situations the overall average never drops to something as low as 9kmpl ! My car has 25K on odo, i'm going in for decarbonisation along with the scheduled service u should try that too
Old 13th May 2006, 14:02   #27
Jay
BHPian

@ aZa : bro this thread is more than a year old.... guess he would have sorted out the problem by now.

other wise being a Santro user myself ( Zip Drive - 50,000 kms done ) my car gives a FE of 12-14 in city and 16+ on the highway both with 50% A/C and a heavy foot to the pedal most of the times.....

Last edited by Jay : 13th May 2006 at 14:05.
Old 13th May 2006, 17:06   #28
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Damn !! this is actually an year old thread !!!
Old 13th May 2006, 17:15   #29
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Damn !! this is actually an year old thread !!!
Great and only you found it ! I was about to reply to that guy but now stopped seeing your reply.
Old 13th May 2006, 17:32   #30
BHPian

although its an year old thread, why not make it available for Santro owners who are still unsatisfied with their cars' mileage?!

my 80K old santro still gives me 12-13KMPL with 110% AC in delhi traffic!
110%, because in delhi one has to stop much more on redlights and in traffic jams, then moving in his car!
on highways, it gives about 18-19kmpl with 100% AC and speeds in range of 90-100kmph.

once i participated in an economy rally held in delhi to test the max fuel economy fo a car, and my same santro gave me 22kmpl without AC in city while following all redlights and traversing thru traffic and kept speeds in range of 50-55kmph at max in 5th gear.

so imho, the driving style of an individual matters most.

secondly, if car is giving really low mileages, then before going for big service and tune-ups and all, try to keep an eye on small things like quantity and quality of fuel being poured in, air-pressure level in all tyres, condition of air-filter, etc.
most of the times due to these small things people keeps on suffering from low-economy of cars!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks