Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

I am 150% sure that hair shampoo can never hurt the car in any way. Hell, they are tested not to cause any ill effect in our eyes! Do you guys think the car parts are more delicate than human eyes? Best bet is Jhonson baby shampoo, which does not even cause any irritation when it gets in to the eyes of a baby!

The doubt is whether it will remove the grime from the car body or not!
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Wow! That's a neatly maintained car. No words for the owner. And maintaining a white is more difficult than other colours because even small amounts of dust is visible on it.
I think white color is easy to maintain. All dark colors like black and dark grey are very hard to maintain. Slightest amount of dust is visible on these colors.
Old 23rd February 2010, 19:13   #33
BHPian

I have tried Car Shampoos (no specific brands, but definately not the fakes) and hair shampoo. I find that its easier to take off the hair shampoo off the car after the wash even if it dries up in the process of cleaning
(I got a black Scorpio, by the time I am done with the back, the front is all dried up).
For car shampoos, I need to put in much effort to get it off.
If anyone has had better experience with car shampoos, please let me know the specific brands.
I would definitely recommend a trial by any one having a question about hair shampoo usage on cars. A single wash won't effect the car but the shine is definately there (don't ask me how or why).
My method of doing it is to apply the shampoo sachet to the cloth and then apply to the car after wetting the surface and removing all dust.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Sonax Car Shampoo is well recommended. There are other brands like 3M and Formula 1.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:36   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2006 Elantra that has done 1,30,000 Kms+ has a as good as new shine like the one seen in the Pic, Ive compared it to new cars whenever it goes for servicing. I ve never used a Human shampoo, not even a car shampoo. Yes i do polish it once a month using Formula 1 Wax once a month.

I dont see the logic of using Human shampoos on a car when made for the purpose car shampoos are freely available in the market.
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:39   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Are you sure Pril does not harm your paint? I feel it could be a little too strong for the it. I agree it would take care of all the tar and grease though.
oh yes pal very little amount of pril say about 3-4 spoonful in half bucket of water give s a great lathery wash and obviously rinsing it off properly is a must !!
Old 24th February 2010, 09:44   #37
BHPian

I am using Clinic all clear for the past one year and i feel that it does a good job on my Silver Indica.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:45   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
He must be licking his car clean - forget the shampoo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
tag line : save water, shower with your car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
To be absolutely safe, please stick to Jhonsons baby shampoo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
As a further step in that direction, we can try herbal shampoos as opposed to regular ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Lol! I can imagine ppl using walnut facial scrub as rubbing compound!
HA HA HA HA Hilarious stuff man. The tag line is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I dont see the logic of using Human shampoos on a car when made for the purpose car shampoos are freely available in the market.
Anyone tried to find out what are the contents?
Old 24th February 2010, 10:58   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, some lovely rejoinders there ! And now I'm feeling a lil sheepish because I told driver not to use shampoo for the car, reasoning that we have car shampoo at home.

Agree with Gansan : shampoo is tested for long term use on humans, including side-effects if it gets into one's eyes. So it should Not harm a car - paint or rubber.

So when we start washing the car, it looks like we do have an effective alternative on our hands, and one that's readily available at home.

Btw, our driver mentioned one sachet per wash is more than sufficient to cover a car. That will mean Rs 1.50 per wash. Cant complain, can we ?
Old 24th February 2010, 11:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

I used Chik shampoo (cheapest) extensively on my Shogun (5-10 washes a month) in the past. Never tried it on my cars, but looking at the feedback in this thread better to go back to Chik. As Condor said it cost just Rs.1.50.
Old 24th February 2010, 11:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

It may be a good idea to ensure the shampoo does not contain conditioner.
Old 27th August 2011, 18:40   #42
J.Ravi

re: Hair Shampoo on Cars, good or bad ??

I wish to revive this old thread by stating that I have started using the same Nyle Herbal Shampoo, which I use, for my Linea too. Earlier, I was using the left overs of my grand daughter's Johnson's Baby Shampoo, which got exhausted. I find the baby/human shampoo is as effective as car shampoo but the main advantage is the former is very economically priced as compared to the latter. For example, the Nyle Herbal Shampoo costs Rs 210 [MRP] for 900 ml.
Hair Shampoo on Cars, good or bad ??-dsc04396.jpgHair Shampoo on Cars, good or bad ??-dsc04398.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 27th August 2011 at 18:44.

Old 27th August 2011, 23:03   #43
Team-BHP Support

I too used to wash my black Motorcycle with xyz shampoo, heck, I even went on to procure human shampoo which were claimed to have good effect on long hair & make it lustrous and black, tillllll I tried an automotive shampoo.

The grime, road kills go away much easily and Motorcycle/Car shines a lot, much more compared to what it was when hairy shampoo was used
Old 28th August 2011, 00:46   #44
BANNED

I went over the pics posted earlier with a magnifying lens and noticed some dandruff all over the bonnet that had been "missed" by the zealous car owners

More seriously, I heard shampoos have sulphates or sulphides and these are bad for paint.

--Ragul
Old 28th August 2011, 02:54   #45
BHPian

I once used Amway's liquid organic cleaner, just a capfull in a bucket of water. Got a good shine
Chewbacca is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks