Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2013, 20:23   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Dear HVK sir ,
I was reading today about SACH Pass and wanted to know if it is possible to do this pass in a four wheeler and to be optimistic could i do it in a sedan?
Also in your opinion in the northern sector other than Spiti circuit and Leh circuit what other circuits are worth aspiring to be done ?
Regards
Sumit
Sumit mate this is a travelogue. That is people write about the fantastic journeys that they have done. We have a separate section here called as route travel queries which answer all the queries that you may have. Please make use of it, also try searching first for all the wonderful answer that are already there. cheers.
Old 19th October 2013, 17:30   #2492
Senior - BHPian

Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
I was quite adamant that we stay put in Khillar and wait for the Swifts to catch up with us, even if it meant spending one night in Khillar! A few angry words exchanged between HVK and me about abandoning the team. Me being very worried about the safety of the small cars and more so of the occupants! ....After a lot of protestations from my side..
This thread was already read by me....just wanted to enjoy reading this again on a lazy Saturday. Good that you're convinced to move forward, else we wouldn't have enjoyed such a gripping stuff. Though the Swifties asked you to move ahead & not to wait, its good from your part to consider waiting for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I said, O M G, O M G "What are you saying?" - and the group fell silent when I told them what had transpired.......we were all too shell-shocked, this was too much after such a long gruelling day[/center]
If its shocking for a seasoned traveler like HVK, then the intensity for what has been done is very evident

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post

About 10-15Kms down the line we are stopped by a Bolero camper and the guy says that your friends in the black MH SUVs have sent a message for you asking you to turn back and not even to attempt Sach pass. I ask him the details of the terrain and the guy says that it is very very rocky. I specifically ask him if there is any slush and he says NO. We thank him and move ahead only to face another Bolero Camper guy who speaks to us in the most sarcastic and discouraging tone and passes on a similar message from HVK/BolBolero asking us to turn back. Just as he is leaving he passes another sarcastic comment “waapus chale jaaoo nahi toh gaadi ka kuch bhi nahi milega, hamare 4x4 gaadi ka bhi gear box aur engine phat jata hai”. (Turn back, you will not even find any remains of your car, even our gear box literally comes off due to the underbody hits).
At this point we convened a small team meeting and I convey the message sent by HVK/Gautam and the 3 camper drivers to rest of the team and suggest that we should at least go to the last possible point the cars can make it to safely and only then decide to turn back (if we have to). I did not want to turn back without knowing how far we can possibly go in these cars. I wanted to test the limits – both for myself/team and for the cars.

Thankfully, without any delay, Yogen replies “Lets do it” and Kunal and Anku agree and, we move on.
Quote:
AP decides to get in first, we park the silver swift at an angle such that the headlights point towards the section after the waterfall (just a little help for the car crossing first) AP & KP clear the section safely. Immediately KP walkies us and asks us to use the wipers on full speed and do it with momentum.

We get into the waterfall and the Swift slides towards the valley due to the force of the water and we can’t see a thing. We keep moving ahead and still can’t see anything for a few seconds and 4-5 swings of the wiper even after we are out of the waterfall.

Finally we are out, stop the car and stare in front in silence, realizing that this all could have gone terribly terribly wrong and we had a large dose of luck on our side to have made it out alive. We look at each other and see on each other’s face what we couldn’t see on ours – feelings of fear, relief and slight success. We are alive….and the 2 of us burst out into the longest and loudest laugh of the trip!! We knew it within ourselves that had anything gone slightly wrong we would have died.
Quote:
We had not eaten breakfast or lunch and were completely drained out. We had been in complete action since 6AM, it was 15 hours now. ....hours and we had reached the Sach Pass Top..... but we had a LONG way to go...
Quote:
warned us about the road ahead as it was going to be very slushy and steep with a lot of water flowing around.

They also told us the story about a Sumo driver who missed a corner and went straight into the valley. He was very lucky they said because the Sumo got stopped by a huge tree that the car had rammed into on its way down. He then points his torch at a white car in the valley and says that the guy just walked up from there. Phew, that was the last thing we wanted to see.

We signed the register
I salute you and touch your feet for the courage and skill you possess and pulled as a team in most toughest challenge posed
Surprise is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 22:08   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
This thread was already read by me....just wanted to enjoy reading this again on a lazy Saturday. Good that you're convinced to move forward, else we wouldn't have enjoyed such a gripping stuff. Though the Swifties asked you to move ahead & not to wait, its good from your part to consider waiting for them

If its shocking for a seasoned traveler like HVK, then the intensity for what has been done is very evident

I salute you and touch your feet for the courage and skill you possess and pulled as a team in most toughest challenge posed
Yes, the experience of the Swifts offers some useful lessons in leadership & determination. After this, my own confidence in small cars driven by capable drivers has increased exponentially (and remember, I have always been a votary of small cars in Ladakh for over a decade from the time I drove my Matiz there).

But typically, I think the disclaimer should be out here loud & clear. Driving small cars on rugged terrain & challenging situations is not for everyone, each has to evaluate his own abilities before embarking on such trips.
hvkumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:01   #2494
Senior - BHPian

@ Team IPHE - I think it is time to start planning for a big one in 2015!
KSM-Vtec is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 18:54   #2495
BHPian

Quote:
@ Team IPHE - I think it is time to start planning for a big one in 2015!
The big one isn't too far away now after all. It will never be the same again though, but will at least bring back some of the memories from the time of the Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition. Mumbai Roadsters are getting started, yet again.
doctorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 21:37   #2496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
The big one isn't too far away now after all. It will never be the same again though, but will at least bring back some of the memories from the time of the Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition. Mumbai Roadsters are getting started, yet again.
What are you guys upto
Old 28th July 2015, 11:48   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
What are you guys upto
As i told you, a motorcycle ride this time. About 10 of us including the 4 swifties (mumbai roadsters). Will post details once things are finalised.

Cheers
doctorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 16:57   #2498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As i told you, a motorcycle ride this time. About 10 of us including the 4 swifties (mumbai roadsters). Will post details once things are finalised.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
What are you guys upto

Time flies, just 3 weeks to go....
KSM-Vtec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 00:36   #2499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Undoubtedly, YES!
The Punto can definitely do it.
However, please bear in mind that in some places terrain is tough and water crossings can be rough, so be prepared to risk some damage to the underbody, but as long as you are careful and skilled, you should face no problem.

The only hitch is that if the Punto faces any technical problems or needs any spares, they will not be available anywhere in those parts since Fiat has no representation in Ladakh.

Hat's off and kudos to all the members of the IPHE. I know the travelogue is from 2011 but I'm reliving the experience every night steadily from 23:00 to 01:00 almost as promptly as your departure time tables. Currently on page 29. HVK you sir are an inspiration and words aren't enough to say what fine qualities are embedded in you,the sheer grit and determination are to say the least exemplary. Brilliant brilliant stuff!
vinitbhavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 12:39   #2500
BHPian

WOW !! That is the only expression I had for all the pages. I was hooked on this thread about a week ago when I came across it and I read each of the 160 odd pages feeling as though I was also a part of the expedition. Such grit and determination shown by the team, led very ably by the Chief (HVK) and what can I say about the Mumbai roadsters !!

Hats off to all of you - I dare not start mentioning names for fear of leaving out somebody. And a whole lot of thanks for painting a very accurate picture through words and photographs for all of us to enjoy.

Maybe some producer/director can produce a thriller based on these 160 pages :P
luvDriving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 13:46   #2501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Hat's off and kudos to all the members of the IPHE. I know the travelogue is from 2011 but I'm reliving the experience every night steadily from 23:00 to 01:00 almost as promptly as your departure time tables. Currently on page 29. HVK you sir are an inspiration and words aren't enough to say what fine qualities are embedded in you,the sheer grit and determination are to say the least exemplary. Brilliant brilliant stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
WOW !! That is the only expression I had for all the pages. I was hooked on this thread about a week ago when I came across it and I read each of the 160 odd pages feeling as though I was also a part of the expedition. Such grit and determination shown by the team, led very ably by the Chief (HVK) and what can I say about the Mumbai roadsters !!

Hats off to all of you - I dare not start mentioning names for fear of leaving out somebody. And a whole lot of thanks for painting a very accurate picture through words and photographs for all of us to enjoy.

Thank you for the very kind words gentlemen. HVK has been an institution for each one of us on the trip and beyond as none of our travel happen without his blessings and guidance anymore.

Carrying on the same legacy, Mumbai Roadsters are just about 2 weeks away from their next and they can be followed here https://www.facebook.com/MumbaiRoadsters, this is ofcourse before the full fledged thread comes up.

Cheers
doctorque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 16:48   #2502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post

Thanks!

The friendships still endure, some of us still travel together, especially the Mumbai Roadsters, and even as I write, some other from this group are on yet another drive to the Himalayas!
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 17:21   #2503
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the very kind words gentlemen. HVK has been an institution for each one of us on the trip and beyond as none of our travel happen without his blessings and guidance anymore.

Carrying on the same legacy, Mumbai Roadsters are just about 2 weeks away from their next and they can be followed here https://www.facebook.com/MumbaiRoadsters, this is ofcourse before the full fledged thread comes up.

Cheers
That's absolutely brilliant what is the Mumbai Roadsters take on the taxi mafia in Leh and how do you guys tackle them. Do they also target private vehicles and bikes. Have an awesome drive and rest assured there will be many following the thread.
vinitbhavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 17:56   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Mumbai Roadsters take on the taxi mafia in Leh and how do you guys tackle them. Do they also target private vehicles and bikes.
Firstly the situation is under control now and secondly they were not really after private vehicles. Yes there were a few attacks but they were due to the general agitation and the usual misunderstanding.

I believe there has never been any attack on tourist who have rented local taxis & bikes which is exactly what we intend to do. This has been the plan prior to the agitation right since early May (when the season had not even started) when we planned and booked our air tickets to Leh and back.

Thanks for the wishes!

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 9th September 2015 at 17:57.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 18:54   #2505
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly the situation is under control now and secondly they were not really after private vehicles. Yes there were a few attacks but they were due to the general agitation and the usual misunderstanding.

I believe there has never been any attack on tourist who have rented local taxis & bikes which is exactly what we intend to do. This has been the plan prior to the agitation right since early May (when the season had not even started) when we planned and booked our air tickets to Leh and back.

Thanks for the wishes!

Okay that's good to know. Hope the misunderstanding also has been cleared now. There's no denying the fact the once pristine areas have been subject to garbage and waste which I myself saw on my visit to Leh. Having said that it cannot be justified as one of the reasons to attack tourists. Read somewhere there are bandra boys in the group. Being a bandra boy myself would love to catch up with you guys and hear the adventures personally.

Have a fantastic drive this year!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks