Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2010, 12:40   #31
Team-BHP Support

Great travel there once again! Did you try the "Jodhpur Namkeen"
Typically the Pyaaz-Ki-Kachori!

Surprisingly Kota has the famous Jodhpur Sweets and Jodhour Namkeen shops. Not sure how their current status is.

But Pyaaz Kachori? A sell out any day! I used to have them when they costed 60 paise per piece.
Now they must be about 10!
Old 10th October 2010, 20:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ranjit

That is a wonderful trip you had, thanks for sharing

Today there was a discussion in my home about doing a trip to Rajasthan from Bangalore via Mumbai. I was indeed happy when i stumbled upon your travelogue.

your daughter with two ponny tails look very cute. hope she had a great trip too.

look forward to read your further posts.
Old 11th October 2010, 08:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Eagerly looking forward to see some snaps of your drive, the national M800 which put the Indians on wheels.
Old 11th October 2010, 10:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Mehrangarh Fort

It began to drizzle yet again by the time we reached Mehranagarh.The fort is so imposing that human beings look so tiny in front of it.The whole of the place was swarming with the Baba Ramdev pilgrims and there was not an inch of place for anybody.We rushed through to the booking counter and we were surprised,inspite of all the confusion and crowds.Everything was so orderly and there was not even a hint of shouting around by the fort staff.We took our tickets and the camera ticket and we decided to take a lift ticket as well(something that we did not use).The next counter is for the Audio Guide.

The formidable fort

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-231_1.jpg
From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-232_1.jpg

Quite a comfortable and ingenious way to see the fort.You are handed a small device in the shape of a credit card swiping machine with ear phones.The person who explained to us the process to use the device was quite a character,I actually wished that we had a video camera with us just to film him.One could just fall in love with the place and the audio guide just by listening to him,his presentation was that lovely.Now for how the audio guide works,inside the fort are placed numbers at important points of interest and once you reach that particular point,you are expected to key in the numbers denoted at that point and the voice begins to explain things related to that point of interest.The voice and presentation is replete with music,drama etc.Lovely experience.

The entry to the fort is a steep climb and then there is a sudden right angle turn into the fort.This was built like this to prevent enemy elephants from knocking down the fort gates.Apparently the elephants lose momentum when they have to take steep turns.Forget the elephants,even for us humans it was a steep climb.

The climb:

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-238_1.jpg

Legend goes that the then ruler of the region-Rao Jodha whose previous capital was the Mandore fort,felt that the fort was weak did not offer any security and hence decided to move his capital to the present location of Mehrangarh.Prior to this,the mountain was called Bhaurcheeria(Mountain of birds) and Cheeria Nathji(Lord of Birds)was the only resident of the hill.According to a famous local legend, when Rao Jodha asked Cheeria Nathji to leave the place, he was hurt and cursed Jodha that his fort will always have a dearth of water. And it is a fact that even today the place suffers from drought every now and then.Then to make his fort really strong,he decided to bury a man alive in the walls of the fort.It was a belief that if a man is buried alive in the walls of a building then the building becomes very strong and survives long periods of time.To satisfy the ruler a man called Rajiya Bhambi came forward to sacrifice his life.Rao Jodha promised him that the Rathores will always look after Rajiya's family and he kept his word.

As one enters the fort,one is greeted by a the most discomforting sight(at least for us it definitely was).On the wall you would find palm imprints of women who have committed "Sati".The ritual was that as women walked from the palace to the pyres of their husbands they gave away all their jewellry enroute and finally just before leaving the gate,they imprint their palms on the walls and then walk towards the pyre.Some of the palms were so small that they could have been palms of 16-year olds and 12-year olds.A disgusting practice.Thank goodness that we had people like Raja Ram Mohan Roy who came along!

The palm imprints:

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-240_.jpg

By then the rain began to come down pretty heavy so we decided to take a pit stop at Cafe Mehran,a lovely cosy cafe,we entered with the impression that the place would be extremely expensive etc,but the moment we took a look at the menu,we were ok,we opted for a Rajasthani Thali priced at INR 140,which was pretty good and was made fresh.We did notice that the chefs(if you could call them that!!)were all women,and you could experience the womenly hand in the dishes!

Me @ Cafe Mehran with all the audio gizmo plugged in!

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-241_1.jpg

After a brief stop for about 30minutes we resumed our walk.We then walked through several sections of the fort having the armoury,the costumes etc,there was a beautiful courtyard as well.Following this we went towards the Sheesh Mahal and the climb through the narrow staircase was quite a revelation.

Brazilian Glass Artistry

Attachment 436690

For people who have chosen to take the audio guide there is an audio guide user's lounge in between the walk.This is a boon,especially for people who have children alongwith them.Its basically a place to sit back,relax,water refreshments etc available at a price & most importantly there are super-clean rest rooms.There is also a video running of the current Jodhpur royalty,showcasing the developmental works undertaken by the family in and around Jodhpur.

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-251_.jpg
From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-253_1.jpg
From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-263_1.jpg
From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-266_1.jpg

After this stop we proceeded towards the exit and handed over the audi guide back and did the customary souvenir shopping at the fort shops and from thereon went onto the ramparts of the fort for the customary Blue-Buildings photo-op.The fort facing walls of houses around the fort are painted blue to denote the caste of the people living in the houses.Blue denotes that the houses belong to brahmins.A hint of Casteism?Whats new in that!

The famed Blue Walls

Attachment 436691
Attachment 436692
Attachment 436694

Jaswant Thada at a distance (Royal Cenotaph)

Attachment 436693

The Royal Seat

Attachment 436695

Music for the little ears

Attachment 436696

Havent ever seen somebody sing like these two-such rawness

Attachment 436697

A Devi Temple inside the fort

Attachment 436698

By the time we came out of the fort it was 5 in the evening.A full 5 hour tour of the fort and something that we would cherish for the rest of our lifetime.Amazing tour.

The Downhill out of the fort

Attachment 436699

From there,we decided to head back to the hotel and enroute we stopped by some sweet shop and bought some amazing Choorma-Laddus and the abundantly famous Mirchi-Wadas of Jodhpur.We were expecting the usual kind of Chilli dipped in besan and fried kind of wadas,but we were in for a pleasant surprise.We could hardly eat one apiece.These had a slice of chilli in between and packed on either sides with a healthy stuffing of potato and onions and then fried in besan.It was quite a discovery.
We headed back to the hotel and had an early dinner and settled in for the night.This was our last night in Jodhpur and went to bed with pleasant memories of having spent a long time among the Rathores of Jodhpur.Afterall we were guests in their palace & fort for a good half day!
Next day was again a drive day,we would be driving to Jaipur in the morning.Account of that in the next section.

Coming Up: Jaipur
Attached Thumbnails
From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-327_1.jpg  

ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2010, 11:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Pictures from Mehrangarh Fort

Brazilian Artistry

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-267_1.jpg

Umaid Bhawan as seen from Mehrangarh

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-270_1.jpg

Jaswant Thada as seen from Mehrangarh (Royal Cenotaph)

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-274_1.jpg

The Famed Blue Walls of Jodhpur

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-273_.jpg

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-276_.jpg

The Royal Durbar

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-278_1.jpg

Music for the little one

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-281_.jpg

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-283_.jpg

A Devi Temple inside the Fort

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-285_.jpg

Walking our way out of the fort

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-297_1.jpg
Old 11th October 2010, 11:56   #36
BHPian

Excellent photos Ranjit, and equally nice narration. Guess what! even we are contemplating a quick trip this week-end to western part of Rajasthan as Kids have 4 days off, but I am scared, we will be short of time. Shall put up detail plan for suggestions shortly, if we could finally make our mind.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Excellent photos Ranjit, and equally nice narration. Guess what! even we are contemplating a quick trip this week-end to western part of Rajasthan as Kids have 4 days off, but I am scared, we will be short of time. Shall put up detail plan for suggestions shortly, if we could finally make our mind.
Thanx Lalit.Amazing,please go ahead and do the trip!It would definitely be worthwhile!Let me know in case I can help in anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Eagerly looking forward to see some snaps of your drive, the national M800 which put the Indians on wheels.
Thanx Rajeev for reading.Just finished with uploading the Jodhpur leg of the drive,Jaipur & Udaipur to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Ranjit

That is a wonderful trip you had, thanks for sharing

Today there was a discussion in my home about doing a trip to Rajasthan from Bangalore via Mumbai. I was indeed happy when i stumbled upon your travelogue.

your daughter with two ponny tails look very cute. hope she had a great trip too.

look forward to read your further posts.
Thanx Star for reading.Go ahead and do it.Nainar did it last year from Blore in a Corolla.It would be an easy drive,just make sure you select the right time.December onwards the place gets very very crowded and hotel rates go through the roof.Let me know in case I can be of any help.Glad to assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great travel there once again! Did you try the "Jodhpur Namkeen"
Typically the Pyaaz-Ki-Kachori!

Surprisingly Kota has the famous Jodhpur Sweets and Jodhour Namkeen shops. Not sure how their current status is.

But Pyaaz Kachori? A sell out any day! I used to have them when they costed 60 paise per piece.
Now they must be about 10!
Thanx Amp,did not have time to try out many things,so just stuck with the Mirchi Wadas,which was a meal by themself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What a lovely travelogue of an unbelievable trip from Hyderabad to Rajasthan and that too in an M800.

I agree to what everyone said about the pocket sized most reliable car ever produced. Even i owned one for close to a couple of years and was my first car.

This travelogue has come at a time when me and few cousins are contemplating a similar trip. It would be great if you can share the route and hotel info ( if available in excel templates) so i dont spend huge amounts of time researching...Also, what was trip odo reading from Hyd to Hyd?

Btw, what was the tarrif of the hotel in Jaiselmer? Looks to be a fantastic place to stay.

Look forward to continuation and more pictures of this trip.
Thanx Avi.Shall send you the details shortly.Let me know when do you plan to do the drive,and shall send all that I had researched over the months!
Old 11th October 2010, 13:42   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanx Avi.Shall send you the details shortly.Let me know when do you plan to do the drive,and shall send all that I had researched over the months!
Plan is somewhere around 3rd week of December. Appreciate if you can share the details via. email.

I am at "team-bhp id at gmail dot com". Thanks !
Old 11th October 2010, 15:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Jodhpur-Jaipur

5th Leg: Jodhpur-Jaipur
Route: Jodhpur-Barr-Beawar-Nasirabad-Kishangarh-Jaipur
Distance: Approx 340kms
Time taken: Approx 5.5 hours

Next day was yet another early departure day.By now all of us were getting used to this routine.Breakfast was a quick affair as we wanted to get out before the town traffic began.Check-out was smooth and the hotel gifted the little lady with a memento which was
quite a cute one.

Getting out of Jodhpur was quite easy,the town roads are not in great shape at the moment due to all the battering by the rains.Once out of the town,the roads began to progressively get better.

We took the NH112 till Barr.At Barr we joined the NH14 briefly till Beawar.At Beawar we got onto the NH8 and then onto the GVK Expressway which took us all the way till Jaipur.

The drive was quite an uneventful one again,with excellent roads throughout,except for the stretch on NH8 out of Beawar which is in terrible condition due to 4 laning in progress.That stretch is really bad and heavy truck traffic as well.

One needs to be careful that one does not go into Ajmer town,approximately 28 kms before Ajmer on NH8,there is a diversion towards Nasirabad.A toll state highway takes you through Nasirabad railway station,Nasirabad Cantt and connects to the four laned NH79.Please take this road and avoid the Ajmer town mess.
Once on NH79 it is a breeze till the toll plaza at Kishengarh from whereon the GVK Expressway begins.An amazing Expressway again,was able to maintain a steady 100kph with absolute safe driving.Plenty of eating options on this 100kms stretch.

We reached Jaipur town limits at precisely 3pm with a morning departure of 930am from Jodhpur.We ofcourse did not stop for lunch enroute.

Once in Jaipur,we found our way to our stay in Jaipur which was at the Four Points by Sheraton (Starwood Hotels & Resorts

It is a brand new place and very impressive as well.Good parking facilities as well.The hotel shares its building with the Big Bazaar.

Check in was smooth and the room was very impressive as well.Ofcourse it had all the traps of a modern city dwelling,a sudden awakening into reality after the lovely stays and heritage structures at the Hari Mahal & The Suryagarh.

Random Pictures of the Hotel Room & Corridor

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-332_1.jpg

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-333_.jpg

From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800)-rajasthan-342_.jpg

We indulged in a quick late lunch in the room and crashed for a few hours.Got up around 6pm and decided to drive around the city.
Somebody had reccomended to us that dinner or lunch at LMB(www.hotellmb.com) on Johri Bazaar is a must.We looked up Google Maps and the place was easy to spot.Once we reached the place,we pretty much knew that this was one popular restaurant as right next to the restaurant we found another one with a similar one named BMB!!!Talk of the original and fake!!Well for the non-initiated LMB is Laxmi Mishtaan Bhandaar.An amazing sweet shop and an all the more amazing food place.They had on their menu a huge Rajasthani Thali priced at INR 333,and the thali on which it is served in is quite a spectacle.We did not have the stomach for it so decided to give it a miss and settled for Dal,Bhaati,Choorma & Ker Saangri.It was indeed yummy and very much reccomended place for anyone visiting Jaipur.

After dinner we decided to head back to the hotel.LMB was in the walled city(also known as the old city of Jaipur and the place where all the buildings are painted pink in color).Of course it is very very chaotic.

Once back in the hotel and seeing the chaotic nature of the city traffic and the overall attitude of the people,we decided that it would be a safer bet to go around the city with a known person to take us around,Hence we decided to hire a cab from the hotel for the next day and go around.
We decided to call it a day after a long day and tomorrow was going to be a longer day we suspected!

For the first time in the entire drive,we were somehow not receiving the positive vibes that we were so used to from the other places till now.

Coming Up: Amer Fort,City Palace Jaipur
Old 11th October 2010, 22:37   #40
BHPian

Ranjit, thanks for sharing Mehrangarh fort experience and detailed route information - I have done a similar audio tour on John Hancock Observatory and absolutely loved it. Your choice of hotels is amazing man!! I find milk-cake and pyaaz kachori missing from your list - milk cake from Alwar and pyaaz kachori's from Jodhpur are must haves when visiting this part.

Ampere,pyaaz kachori cost's around 15 bucks, that was when I last visited a year back and Jodhpur sweets still rocks!!
Old 12th October 2010, 09:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad View Post
Ranjit, thanks for sharing Mehrangarh fort experience and detailed route information - I have done a similar audio tour on John Hancock Observatory and absolutely loved it. Your choice of hotels is amazing man!! I find milk-cake and pyaaz kachori missing from your list - milk cake from Alwar and pyaaz kachori's from Jodhpur are must haves when visiting this part.

Ampere,pyaaz kachori cost's around 15 bucks, that was when I last visited a year back and Jodhpur sweets still rocks!!
Yes the audio guide is quite an experience,it completely shuts one off from the chaos and noise that surrounds you,complete with music and narration.It was an amazing experience.They have around 10-12 forts and palaces included in their list including the Mysore Palace.The service is provided by Narrowcasters India (www.narrowcasters.com).

Couldnt indulge in much of taste-bud pampering at Jodhpur sadly.

Wait for the hotel at Udaipur,I guess Udaipur & Jaisalmer hotel experiences were mind blowing,well we decided to go the full distance since we decided to do a "Royal" RJ trip !Thanx once again for reading.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:55   #42
BHPian

Brilliant narrative. And very handy reference, if I ever wish to get there. Thanks a ton for sharing.

BH.
Old 12th October 2010, 18:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Ranjit,
This has been a fantastic travelogue, good reading and waiting for you to complete the log. Planning for a similar trip for this year end Dec 19th to Jan 1st to be precise. Hats off you have done it in a M800 my respect for the car goes a couple of notch higher.
Would you be kind enough to share the itenary/hotel rates with me as it would give me sufficient time to do the planning and booking. Slightly concerned when you mentioned that end of December will be crowded & rates going high.
Old 12th October 2010, 19:17   #44
BHPian

Excellent trip, keeping an eye on your thread, went through twice and loving it.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience with us
Old 12th October 2010, 21:59   #45
BHPian

Ranjit,

Very informative log indeed. Loved your narration and the audio guide part. As someone else already pointed you seem to stay in real good hotels which makes the trip more memorable.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks