Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2008, 14:00   #1
BHPian
 
Jaskirat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 175
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Grey Market Michelin XM1 Energy

Hi Guys,

The story goes back to June 2006 when I had bought my Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXi. The very next day of buying this car, I replaced the original MRF 175/65 R14 with Michelin XM1 Energy 185/60 R14. Obviously, this was done with usual expectation of better handling, better mileage, longer life etc. etc. I bought these tyres from Michelin Authorized dealer, whose address I got from Michelin India - Home

Zoom back to June 2008. The car has now done 24,000+kms and the statistics read:

Average Mileage: 11.1 kmpl (not bad);
Handling: Felt better, but not sure whether it was actually better or just the fact that I had bought 'the' Michelins and it was more psychological;
Tyre Life: Now this is the disappointing part. Average tread depth left - 3 mm!!!. Approximate balance life left on these tyres 3,000 kms. Therefore, total tyre life 24,000 + 3,000 = 27,000 kms

When I approached the Michelin official in Chandigarh, after lot of persuation, coaxing, (even threatening to report the matter to Michelin India CEO), he very nonchalantly admits that there have been several instances of grey market XM1's coming in to India. And behold, the tyres I bought from Michelin authorizerd dealer, with original Michelin warranty were supposedly grey market tyres.

When I informed the Michelin guy that I wanted replacement of the grey market tyres, he offered to buy back the four XM1s for Rs. 7,500. What he offered was that he would give me 4 new Michelin PP2 tyres (195/50 R15) and deduct Rs. 7,500 from their total price.

Arithmetics are:

- Michelin PP2 Rs. 5,100 each x 4 = Rs. 20,400 (What do you think of the price of PP2s?)
- Michelin XM1 buy back (4 nos) = Rs. 7,500
- Net payout = Rs. 12,900
- Therefore each PP2 costs me Rs. 3,225 each.

Please note, the old XM1s have already done 25,000 kms, and I get to retain them till I get my 15" MOMO Alloys, which should happen sometimes around 10th September.

Would be great to know what you guys think of this deal.

What is most amazing is that in the entire process, the Michelin guy completely avoided confronting the defaulting dealer who had originally sold me the XM1 tyres. I guess there is much more to this then what meets the customer's eye.

Regards

Jaskirat Singh
Jaskirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 02:35   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Jaskirat, did you get a bill & warranty card with the tyres?? If yes, then maybe I can help you with this matter.

While it is true that there has been a lot of grey XM1's imported into India, the dealer cannot give you a Michelin India warranty card with them.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 03:15   #3
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Take the Deal. I think the Dealer has done it on purpose if he is offering to take the Tryes Back. And Now, it is biting him back!!

Also, Some details on the Momos please!!
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 09:35   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

Quote:
What is most amazing is that in the entire process, the Michelin guy completely avoided confronting the defaulting dealer who had originally sold me the XM1 tyres. I guess there is much more to this then what meets the customer's eye.
- "test marketing" using grey market / fakes?
- "unauthorised" imports / manufacture (excise / other tax evasion?)
- Deliberately naming originals as fakes to cover up poor quality?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 11:05   #5
BHPian
 
brraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 794
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

My friend satya tried his hands on grey market Michelin PP2 205/60/15 for his elantra and got bubbles on his tyres just after driving 2k kms.

Never go for grey market tyres, if at all you go ask for warranty card.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 12:16   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 75
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Jaskirat, Can you check the tyres and let us know if there is any markings etc which can be a giveaway when we check for fakes. I am sure the grey mfr must have taken all precautions to cover up everything possible. But just a thought.
Scorp72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 15:54   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,710
Thanked: 8,930 Times
Default

Where in chandigarh did you buy your tires from? Sometime back i was in chandigarh shopping for tires for my new swift,every tire shop has loads of cheap grey market stuff.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 16:03   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

hmm makes me think, how can one distinguish the grey market ones from the original ones ?
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 16:05   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,663
Thanked: 3,185 Times
Default

Guys, I am not an expert and have very little knowledge about the tyre industry and have a few questions here:

Leave apart the law/excise part for a moment. Then what is wrong with these grey market tyres?

Are they not manufactured by Michelin somewhere in the world? or is the same product manufactured to different specifications at different locations?
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 16:14   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

What I remember is in 2006 Michellin india website was not up. and warranty was not offered in terms of warranty cards. But I may be wrong.

Its very difficult to figure out which is genuine especially for most of the people unless they have seen both type of tyres.

Onething I noticed is grey market tyre won't show manufactured date the way orginal show.

Once we buy or before buying tyres register the set of tyres with Michellin india people or at least cross check with them to make sure the product you are buying is genuine.

But still dealers can cheat easily in India. They will give bills not Michellin Waranty Cards. Lot of products are being sold by parallel importers who mostly sell grey market products and such items don't honour warranty by the company. but we should get hold of the shops who sold the items.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 16:34   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
manikjeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 1,606
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

i would like to ask if the tires were purchased from sec 32 ( i wouldn't like to name the shop if you want i will) he is the only authorized dealer of Michelin in Chandigarh

it you have then we both are on the same boat
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 17:59   #12
BHPian
 
Jaskirat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 175
Thanked: 175 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Jaskirat, did you get a bill & warranty card with the tyres?? If yes, then maybe I can help you with this matter.

While it is true that there has been a lot of grey XM1's imported into India, the dealer cannot give you a Michelin India warranty card with them.
Hi Iraghava,

Yes, the dealer did give me original Michelin India warranty cards. He also gave me a bill. Though it might be tedious, but I could ask my company accounts people to try and extract the bill from the records.

The only catch is that I do not have anything in writing from the Michelin executive suggesting that the tyres are grey market. He only mentioned them as being grey market tyres, and offered to buy them back.

It would be happy to know how you could help in this case.

Regards

Jaskirat

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
i would like to ask if the tires were purchased from sec 32 ( i wouldn't like to name the shop if you want i will) he is the only authorized dealer of Michelin in Chandigarh

it you have then we both are on the same boat
Sector 32 it is ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
What I remember is in 2006 Michellin india website was not up. and warranty was not offered in terms of warranty cards. But I may be wrong.

Its very difficult to figure out which is genuine especially for most of the people unless they have seen both type of tyres.

Onething I noticed is grey market tyre won't show manufactured date the way orginal show.

Once we buy or before buying tyres register the set of tyres with Michellin india people or at least cross check with them to make sure the product you are buying is genuine.

But still dealers can cheat easily in India. They will give bills not Michellin Waranty Cards. Lot of products are being sold by parallel importers who mostly sell grey market products and such items don't honour warranty by the company. but we should get hold of the shops who sold the items.

Regards,

Ravi.
Hi Ravi,

You may be right ... the dealer might have been suggested to me by Bhagat Ford Sales Executive ... but that dealer is on their website now, and did carry the original Michelin Authorized dealer hoarding on his shop.

Moreover, he did issue me warranty cards bearing MI01 Series Nos.: 026390, 026391, 026395, 026396 and 026397. These warranty cards were duly stamped by them also.

Regards

Jaskirat Singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp72 View Post
Jaskirat, Can you check the tyres and let us know if there is any markings etc which can be a giveaway when we check for fakes. I am sure the grey mfr must have taken all precautions to cover up everything possible. But just a thought.
Scorp72, I will definitely try and see if I can identify the tell tale signs. But very difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
- "test marketing" using grey market / fakes?
- "unauthorised" imports / manufacture (excise / other tax evasion?)
- Deliberately naming originals as fakes to cover up poor quality?
Though the last one sounds quite plausible, but for a company of Michelin's stature ... maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Take the Deal. I think the Dealer has done it on purpose if he is offering to take the Tryes Back. And Now, it is biting him back!!

Also, Some details on the Momos please!!
Hi Cyrus,

Its not the dealer who is taking them back, but the Michelin Executive in Chandigarh.

Regards

Jaskirat




Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th August 2008 at 18:22.
Jaskirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 18:24   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Michelin XM1 had complaints of fast tyre wear, which is why they brought in the XM1+.
I think Michelin is taking up your case as one of those and our being generous with the 7,500 rupee buyback offer. So, congratulations.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 18:36   #14
BHPian
 
BMW-X5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 187
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

I too faced the same issue, but for me only 2 of them started waering out so fast! That too as early as 6K kmts. In fact I have reported the issue in some other thread couple of months back. I have got my tyre inspected by michelin representative here in Blore. He has adviced to me roatate the tyres and try for another 2K kmts or esle they will try to replace thoese two tyres. It is almost 2K kmts since I roatated and dont have any problems with the roatated tyres. I'm gonna call this guy in couple of days and I will update you the details. BTW forgot to mention, I bhought 4 155/65/13 for my WagonR from super tyre tec JC raod. I too have warranty card.
BMW-X5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 00:28   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Michelin XM1 had complaints of fast tyre wear, which is why they brought in the XM1+.
That's not the only reason Nitrous, there were other reasons too.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelin Energy XM1+ & Bridgestone Turanza ER-60....The Best Allrounders? roms Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 566 10th May 2016 02:17
Michelin "Energy XM1+" or Goodyear "Assurance" lohithrao Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 40 1st November 2010 00:12
Michelin Energy XM1+ - Replace or Keep it ? PankajP Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 6 30th September 2009 19:18
Changed to Michelin Energy XM1 from almost new Goodyear NCT-5 rishi_kapoor Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 17th November 2008 15:43
Michelin energy xm1+ vs. Yokohama A.Drive...? rana_kirti Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 1 30th May 2008 20:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks