Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2011, 23:32   #46
BHPian

Re: EXAMM 2011 - A report.

Lovely picks, enjoyed viewing the thread. I can imagine how much you guys would have enjoyed. The videos were great.
no gypsies in action? please please upload some videos of them performing.
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:42   #47
AVR
BHPian

Unfortunately I had to be a spectator for the event this year as my Jeep was WIP but it was a great experience! There's so much I got to observe as I didn't have to drive.

Day 1:
Mud Drag: An interesting idea which was expected to be a Gypsy-stronghold and it only got progressively worse and unexpectedly there was more action in the parking pit than the drag pit with vehicles sinking left, right and center. By the end it got chaotic as vehicles were getting stuck in all directions.

Observation 1:
If you are stuck in slush and have lost momentum, any wheel spin is only counter productive. I didn't see a single vehicle get out on its own. Recovery only becomes a bigger challenge thanks to this. Even remember some people ignoring warnings by the marshals to not go some places or stop wheelspin.

Observation 2:
Never take a knife to a gun-fight. HT tyres just don't cut it in slush. Not only do you need to get recovered most places, you are also at a risk if there are ascents/descents/tilts involved

Day 2:
The first obstacle aka rut was really interesting. Spotting was very good and most people who followed instructions went through. Two highlights were the orange 540 driven by Grace's wife. Very impressive and calm-headed while ending up in rather steep tilts. Highlight of the obstacle was the SWB Defender's absolute disregard of the rut and it just stomped through in style.

Observation 3:
Absolute power is no comparison for skills in a technical obstacle. Same kind of vehicles can create much more drama at an obstacle when the driver is a novice. So many obstacles looked very simple because the driver was good and so many drivers at times can make an obstacle look impossible. As an observer, I think I learnt a lot in those 2 days about man and machine.

Was making some new friends with a common passion and meeting some lovely people who I have been communicating with on this forum. Look forward to next year with my Jeep!

Great job done by EXOs.

Cheers,
Adi

Last edited by AVR : 22nd July 2011 at 21:43.
Old 23rd July 2011, 09:07   #48
BHPian

This was my first attempt to view an OTR up close. Thanks for the invite from HVK Saar and BolBolero.

I just dropped in met soumya and Piyush. It was great to know 'The Snooker Champ' driving his Innova to places and the experience he shared.

I happened to leave after the first 2 obstacles to get my car from Sancheti [few guys might remember me walking down the road with hood and backpack, who asked me if I had seen jeeps going ahead :-) ]. However, the traffice at Bhushi and an emergensy SMS had me move towards Nashik.

Next time, I will be chipping in with some one and make sure that I reserve a seat as a passenger.

It was nice to meet Fazal saheb face to face after we had 'Pench' thread running side by side and had a short discussion over it.

I met another interesting participant but could not recall his name (Owner of black Classic numbered MH16)

Guys, I really really really wanna be a part of next OTR.
Old 23rd July 2011, 10:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Guys where are the pictures??? i am sure these are not the only pics.

keep it coming
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Mud drag video

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50246251299192
Old 24th July 2011, 10:06   #51
BHPian

A small video clip of the event featuring my jeep, captured and edited by my co passenger.

Last edited by adnan_1212 : 24th July 2011 at 10:25. Reason: word missed out
Old 25th July 2011, 11:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hi Abhi,
I think you are talking about me. I had black Classic with MP-16 not MH-16. did we meet on trail or elsewhere. And what was interesting, please share if it can be shared on public forum

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
I met another interesting participant but could not recall his name (Owner of black Classic numbered MH16)

Old 25th July 2011, 12:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
This was my first attempt to view an OTR up
Ohh yes please do be a part of next OTR , i wish you own a TATA SAFARI soon!

Really nice pics buddy.
Old 25th July 2011, 13:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

I could not help but re-visit this thread and relive those incredible 2 days.

Thanks Jaggu & Gogi, for the praise for my feeble attempts at recording what I experienced.

I agree with almost everything Gogi said with the rider that many participants (including me) were happy that the Marshals decided to close some obstacles, there is absolutely no point in putting people or vehicles in danger.

About the vehicles: I noticed that the MM550s performed effortlessly. The MM540s also did quite well but were no match to the 550s, that small difference in the engine made things so different. The Thars seem to have mixed results, largely due to their rev happy engines but performed beautifully when the driver kept a strict check on the right foot. The Gypsies, particularly the ones that were loaded to the gills with goodies, did well but somehow seemed too bouncy for my taste. The Land Rover of course, made things look easy! I am looking forward to seeing Prasad's Jo5nga again once the small niggling issues are sorted out.

About the drivers: Experience and age count! All the seasoned drivers had a few things in common. 1. They mentally work out their course before attempting anything. 2. They always observed the behaviour of the vehicle(s) in front of them. 3. They were never in a hurry 4. They followed instructions from the designated or their chosen spotter to the 'T'. 5. They always waited for the 'go ahead' from the marshals and followed instructions meticulously.

Now the problem facing me: How do I raise the funds to buy me a Jeep?

Cheers,
Old 25th July 2011, 15:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

Now the problem facing me: How do I raise the funds to buy me a Jeep?

Cheers,
Ravveendrra,

Where theres a Jeep (will) there is a way.

Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 17:01   #56
Senior - BHPian

Where theres a Will(Y's) theres a way
Old 25th July 2011, 17:47   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi Abhi,
I think you are talking about me. I had black Classic with MP-16 not MH-16. did we meet on trail or elsewhere. And what was interesting, please share if it can be shared on public forum

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Oh yes, it was you. Sorry for the typo MH=MP.

Interesting thing was that you being from MP and studied in Nagpur. Something common.
Old 25th July 2011, 18:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

PS is must with 31"
Old 25th July 2011, 19:12   #59
BHPian

A big thank you to Devang to take me through the aborted obstacle. Although i was extremely terrified at start (and the anti offroad person that i am) but that car made mountains look puny. Was a lot of fun and great job guys.
Old 25th July 2011, 19:45   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Where theres a Will(Y's) theres a way
Ha ha, it couldn't be phrased better .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks