Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2010, 22:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

I have been following this and it is quite scary and hillarious at the same time. One of the spotter taught Rick how to say MC whenever he is pissed (he is always on the road). The other guys called Alex quit the first day after knocking out an Innova door and hitting a santro. I appreciate the girl's guts though. She is trying her best. I did not like the way they said things about India and the people. If you don't like it say it in a nice way and head home.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 21st October 2010 at 22:54.
Old 21st October 2010, 22:57   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Guys i did have a look at the sneak preview a couple of days back. A friend had posted this video in his facebook. I was blown away by the lack of lane discipline in our contry.
Lane discipline???We are talking about himalayan roads here. There is barely enough space for one truck. The buses and cabs will always be quicker and will certainly overtake. Even if the Border roads org decides to widen these roads, they would crumble in a year, as the constant flow of water from melting ice would loosen the rocks. Its a miracle that these roads support so many trucks that are fully loaded. Its that factor, combined with the height of these cliffs that makes it deadly. The bus drivers and the people who live there are equal dare devils. Its a reality show and they seem to demonize the bus drivers. (they need some bad guys to make the truckers look good)

Its an incredible part of the world, with incredible people living a perilous life. To sit in any of these buses (in the front rows) after having looked at a few crushed trucks thousands of feet below, gives the chills to any dare devil.
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:03   #18
BHPian

Anybody noticed the seats on trucks that are being used. The trucks look new(with Power Steering) and with bucket seats The normal seats used by the real truckers would have been cruel on the american butts.
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:16   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Anybody noticed the seats on trucks that are being used. The trucks look new(with Power Steering) and with bucket seats The normal seats used by the real truckers would have been cruel on the american butts.
The trucks were equipped with power steering + bucket seats, i think this was done intentionaly in order to ease the driving comfort.

Last edited by The King : 22nd October 2010 at 11:18.
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:07   #20
BANNED

wow - Amazing . Seen all five parts which put up here. Its really tough for an outsider to drive these amazing places here.
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Watched till end of Episode 3 of IRT Deadliest roads. It was an amazing insight of how truck drivers actually feel. I wouldn't dare to take a truck on that road. Small car is a better bet . And hats off to Lisa, she is actually keeping her cool and driving well except once when she decided to move to passenger's seat. She is awesome.
The new driver Dave seems to be quite knowledgeable about anything of Trucks than the others.
Rick is fun, that guy keeps on swearing and loosing his cool all the time. Poor guy, I can really feel his frustration on Indian roads. He is being tormented by Himachal Pradesh State Buses he he. What will happen to him if he has to drive with Kerala State buses ..
Old 27th October 2010, 18:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

I came onto this thread by chance. Very nice, very well made, and gives some food for thought.
This has some elements of a reality show. But well made. There maybe some stories inserted, there have to be, otherwise how do you make 5 parts?

Some observations:

The roads and terrain are exciting, and tough.
The lorries and Lisa driving one inspires you to go and buy a similar truck to take to office everyday, never mind about parking. I did play with that idea when I came across a 1948 International truck. Seeing this one tends to get carried away.
These roads test your driving skills, obviously.
Roads in the Swiss Apls in the 1960's were not very much different. I know, have travelled on those roads with my dad driving and there were scary stretches.
We look at our truckers with a different aspect.
Hope to see more such clips.

Cheers harit
Old 27th October 2010, 20:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Its a very well made feature. something worth archiving.

the footage that maroon semiforward is swept away is amazing, so is the CG illustrations.

it makes us feel proud, that when a veteran trucker who drove for 25 years on every highway and off highway in US is dumbstruck in a single day driving in india.
Old 29th October 2010, 19:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!! Wonderfully made reality show.
I am eagerly waiting for the 4th episode but it has still not be uploaded on youtube.
Cant wait!!!
Old 31st October 2010, 13:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! very nice reality show. Beats all other reality shows by a huge margin. Those roads are really scary. Imagine the plight of the drivers of the buses and trucks driving daily on these roads. They really deserve an applause.

It is sad that we needed an American Reality show to highlight the skills of our own drivers. We need to spare a thought for our truckers. It's not that they have the facilities and comforts that these American drivers have back home.

I agree with Pervez regarding the Americans badmouthing India. They should know that they are on tv and then act accordingly
Old 16th November 2010, 23:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
I too am in love with Lisa she is simply awesome!
Hey for you.
Lisa Kelly, Ice Road Trucker Official Website

Episode 4th 5th and 6th has been uploaded at obvious places.
Old 17th November 2010, 01:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
it makes us feel proud, that when a veteran trucker who drove for 25 years on every highway and off highway in US is dumbstruck in a single day driving in india.
Brother, it makes me feel ashamed.

If you listen to thier comments and safety standards, equipment, engines that they use, in Alaska or USA then we need to see what TATAs are providing our truckers with. Example, the wooden frame in the TATA trucks v.s. the Steel frame/ cabin for their trucks in the US.

The safety provided on and beside the roads at such heights is also an example.

On the first day of travel itself one of the truckers complained about the severe underpowered engines V/S load capacity of the trucks given to them.

It hurt me to a good extent.

Alas, only if we could have supplied weopons created fobia, wars and invasions and only if we have had politicians having pride for our country to see us up there amongst the best, coupled by our natural intellect, we could have been a different nation.
Old 17th November 2010, 02:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Brother, it makes me feel ashamed.
It hurt me to a good extent.

Alas, only if we could have supplied weppons created fobia, wars and invasions and only if we have had politicians having pride for our country to see us up there amongst the best, coupled by our natural intellect, we could have been a different nation.
and if we had dollar as our currency and if we could have everybody invest in dollars and oil sold in our own currency in international market. Then we could also have the gas guzzler who would run for hours just to keep the AC in the cabin.

No, I am not much proud of that either. our belief in survival with least resources still sounds good to me.

Politicians, yes, you have a point.
Old 17th November 2010, 04:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Watched a couple of episodes. Both the guys were unnecessarily losing their cool. Esp Rick..and gets annoying after a while. Overall its well shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
I too am in love with Lisa.
she's a sweetheart isin't she?
Old 17th November 2010, 16:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Brother, it makes me feel ashamed. .
well you should not. Its a general feeling. what happens if a guy whose daily drives is a BMW m3 and he is suddenly given a tata nano.

TATA 1612 serves its purpose very well. We cannot possibly deploy a volvo in those roads. If you fall from that height Volvo and its occupant will receive the same fate as TATA.

I am proud that TATA can produce such a hauler at such an amazing price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks