Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2015, 12:18   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mild Offroading with SUVs in Lonavala

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Among the men and the machines, Gul Panag & the Volvo XC60 are the Kelvinators (the coolest ones!).

Whose Volvo is that? (I see a Team-BHP sticker). Is it running on AT tyres? What kind of 4WD sytem does it have? Part time or full time? Does it have a 4WD LOCK like the Duster?
The Volvo is a friend's vehicle. He's not on Team-bhp though. Yes running AT tyres which were an absolute pain to source since the size was not standard. Last i remember when he did a drive to Bhutan, he sourced them from there. Changed the tyres and drove back.

Yes, 4WD can be locked if I'm not mistaken but there is no low range option.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 14:48   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Among the men and the machines, Gul Panag & the Volvo XC60 are the Kelvinators (the coolest ones!).

Whose Volvo is that? (I see a Team-BHP sticker). Is it running on AT tyres? What kind of 4WD sytem does it have? Part time or full time? Does it have a 4WD LOCK like the Duster?
I believe the gentleman goes by the name of Mr. Ravi Nayar and runs the Off Beat Expedition/Drives. He very much is a BHPian. His profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
The Volvo is a friend's vehicle. He's not on Team-bhp though.
Thanks for sharing this awesome thread Tejas

How did the Pajero Sport perform?

Last edited by Sheel : 8th April 2015 at 14:52.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 14:58   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I believe the gentleman goes by the name of Mr. Ravi Nayar and runs the Off Beat Expedition/Drives. He very much is a BHPian. His profile

Thanks for sharing this awesome thread Tejas

How did the Pajero Sport perform?
Thanks for the correction Sheel. Last weekend i went for one of his signature glamping holidays. Was wonderful! Shall put up a thread on it soon.

I loved the Pajero Sport. Brilliant vehicle. Off and on the road. Only if HM took sales and service seriously. I was always an ardent Fortuner fan but this trip has made me switch sides. Hands down winner in my book.
Old 8th April 2015, 15:06   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Last weekend i went for one of his signature glamping holidays. Was wonderful! Shall put up a thread on it soon.
Will wait for it. Should be a fun read.
Quote:
I loved the Pajero Sport. Brilliant vehicle. Off and on the road. Only if HM took sales and service seriously. I was always an ardent Fortuner fan but this trip has made me switch sides. Hands down winner in my book.
I knew this all along. The composure is to be experienced and the feel good factor.
I do not know, what the hell are Mitsubishi India smoking? Imagine, after Calcutta/Patna, they do not have any sale/service outlet in the entire North East. No Siliguri/Guwahati. I hope they resurrect this. That is their only chance of survival.

Sorry for going OT.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 18:55   #20
BHPian

This looks like a lot of fun ! Good way to spend the day out of Bombay. I got a Renault Duster AWD that is shod with Yokohama Geolander AT tyres. It's been a few months since I bought the car and it has not been off the tarmac at all. I would love to get it down and dirty . From the pictures, it looks like the car should be able to handle this trail.

Would love to accompany everyone when this is happening next !

Cheers.
KMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 19:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMan View Post
This looks like a lot of fun ! Good way to spend the day out of Bombay. I got a Renault Duster AWD that is shod with Yokohama Geolander AT tyres. It's been a few months since I bought the car and it has not been off the tarmac at all. I would love to get it down and dirty . From the pictures, it looks like the car should be able to handle this trail.

Would love to accompany everyone when this is happening next !

Cheers.
Yup the AWD is more than capable for this trail.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2015 at 14:32. Reason: As per PM
Old 9th April 2015, 19:15   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yup the AWD is more than capable for this trail.
Hey Tejas, how would a Yeti with a 50k km old clutch handle this? I was thinking of coming but was doubtful. So next time maybe?

Oh actually I may have something else next time as you know

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2015 at 14:33. Reason: Quoted post edited
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 19:24   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hey Tejas, how would a Yeti with a 50k km old clutch handle this? I was thinking of coming but was doubtful. So next time maybe?

Oh actually I may have something else next time as you know
It would do 80% of the trail. A few areas the approach angle and ground clearance would have been an issue on this track.

Next time!
Old 12th April 2015, 20:35   #24
BANNED

Quote:
To sum it up, the overall feedback was great. People loved the trail....... via Whatsapp.
Lovely thread Dr. Tejas,

Reminds me of some of the occasional diversions we have to take during our annual calls to Kumaon, Uttaranchal in our 10 year old Scorpio(2WD). Tho' admittedly, some of the terrain shown might just prove a bit too much for our Bucephalus!

Thanks once again and kudos to you for your great efforts in popularizing the sport. And of course, Gul Panag once again confirms our view that she is one lady with the beauty that goes with her commitment to the sport!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 11:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Tejas, thank you for this excellent thread. It has content, panache and glam - very impressive. Rating it the very well deserved 5 stars!

OT - I am actually surprised not to see any Fortuner in this entire lineup. And yes, I am a recent Pajero Sport owner since about six months - and man, am I loving the vehicle. Lets hope the Pajero's continue to build their presence and fan following!
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 11:32   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Tejas, thank you for this excellent thread. It has content, panache and glam - very impressive. Rating it the very well deserved 5 stars!

OT - I am actually surprised not to see any Fortuner in this entire lineup. And yes, I am a recent Pajero Sport owner since about six months - and man, am I loving the vehicle. Lets hope the Pajero's continue to build their presence and fan following!
Many cars didn't come because the drive was on a Saturday and not Sunday. We couldn't hold it on a Sunday since it was the Final's of the ICC Cricket World Cup and lot of people were optimistic that India would be in the finals.

Planning a dusk drive now to beat the heat.
Old 24th April 2015, 15:41   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

An article about the drive has been published in Autocar India. Do buy a copy to go through it. For obvious reasons i cannot put up a clearly legible article here.

Mild Offroading with SUVs in Lonavala-screen-shot-20150424-3.35.58-pm.png
Old 12th May 2015, 07:48   #28
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

What was more critical for executing the trail 4x4 drive or ground clearance. Would a vehicle with good ground clearance and approach / departure angles be able to complete this without 4x4
Old 12th May 2015, 11:05   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
What was more critical for executing the trail 4x4 drive or ground clearance. Would a vehicle with good ground clearance and approach / departure angles be able to complete this without 4x4
All required. Without 4x4 probably 60% of the trail, but out of that 60% around 10% would be at the expense of the clutch (trying to be in the power band but not fast, thus a lot of slippage). An AWD would do this in the dry. In the wet this trail is another story altogether.
Old 20th May 2015, 01:24   #30
BHPian

So when are you planning the next one ?!!?

Most Viewed